Planning to welcome a Kitten into our Family

Options
2»

Comments

• MovingForwards
    MovingForwards Posts: 16,921 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    I buy a huge bag of wood pellets cat litter from pets at home for about £6. Lasts for ages.

Food tends to be a mix of whiskers, Purina one, Felix, lilys kitchen and whatever else is on offer. Also a bit of fresh pork / steak / chicken a few times a week.

Kibble could be harringtons, whiskers or whatever looks nice.

Treats are dreamies, chew sticks, pockets / pillows, cat jerky and whatever else looks nice.

Your kitten will let you know what they don't like, so don't get buying loads as you may end up giving it to someone else to use.

I've only ever purchased kitten food once, that was for my 5th one, he went straight for the adult cat food that was out for my others.

Toys are danglies on a stick, never leave this one unsupervised as she wrapped one round her neck as a kitten, toy mice, cat nip, balls etc but her favourite are sweet wrappers! Eat a quality Street scrunch the wrapper up and lug it, she runs, catches it, brings it back and the process is repeated.

Her bed is a sofa, with blankets and small cuddly toys from the charity shop; teddy bear, unicorn cat, a cat etc; she likes them, cuddles them, rests her head on them etc and only cost 50p each.

A carpet off cut / carpet tile / cocoa mat work as a scratch post. She has scratch posts but doesn't use them.

Flea drops (front line) I buy from pets at home. As she is an indoor cat I only drop her every few months.

Never had injections because of being indoors.

Never insured a cat in over 2 decades, always paid as and when even when my first had two major operations (cancer and had both sides of her breasts off in two different ops at £300 each incl tests).

Make sure you are comfortable with the vets you pick.
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
  • lindos90
    lindos90 Posts: 3,208 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    toy mice, cat nip, balls etc but her favourite are sweet wrappers! Eat a quality Street scrunch the wrapper up and lug it, she runs, catches it, brings it back and the process is repeated.

Ohh gosh that takes me back! We used the colourful sweet wrappers into little bows tied onto a long piece of string! Oh my, I can almost here that squeak of the wrappers between the teeth!

One of my cats when I was young loved tapping a ping pong ball back and forth with me, I will try and see if our little one will play 'fetch' like yours! Thank you for your advice x
  • Money_maker
    Money_maker Posts: 5,471 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    We got pet insurance through Argos - platinum. Started off well, £7-8 monthly. So we started a savings account run simultaneously and put the same into that each month. Fast forward and she's 8 now. Renewal just come through at a little under £25 month. They will take a few pounds off for us but I think it's now too expensive each year. Will continue to pay in to the savings account and that will be enormously helpful should we need veterinary care.
    Please do not quote spam as this enables it to 'live on' once the spam post is removed. ;)

If you quote me, don't forget the capital 'M'

Declutterers of the world - unite! :rotfl::rotfl:
  • no1catman
    no1catman Posts: 2,972 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    ……. but her favourite are sweet wrappers! Eat a quality Street scrunch the wrapper up and lug it, she runs, catches it, brings it back and the process is repeated.
    QUOTE]

I too did this. Many a time kept the cat entertained by from the bed tossing rolled up sweet wrappers at the half open ward robe door, to be deflected onto the landing. Cat races after it, comes back triumphant with it, jumps up on the bed and jumps ready for the next one!!

Other comments - fleas won't spontaneously appear, - spread by other cats - are there many in your area? Kitten should be OK to go outside after its first jab at twelve weeks.
    Be prepared for some impact/damage in the home - no matter how many scratching posts you have! Wool (or part wool) carpets attract cat fur! So best avoided, with lounge suite - micro-fibre seems best e.g. faux leather. Partner had one cat that after redecoration proceeded to tear strips of wall-paper off!!

Make sure the cat/kitten is micro-chipped, and at some point micro-chip controlled cat-flap.
    I used to work for Tesco - now retired - speciality Clubcard
  • Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    no1catman wrote: »
    Other comments - fleas won't spontaneously appear, - spread by other cats - are there many in your area? Kitten should be OK to go outside after its first jab at twelve weeks.

Cat fleas (or their eggs) can easily 'hitch a ride' on humans or dogs though. I live in a city centre flat with no outside space, no other pets in the building and very few in the immediate area. Low risk so I do not treat for parasites routinely.

Many years ago I found a solitary flea whilst grooming my (pure white) boy. The only other pet I had regular contact with at the time was my best mate's cat .... also indoor-only and who thankfully remained flealess!

In a more recent year my current girl and our internal hallway experienced a sudden population explosion coinciding the first warm spell of Spring. _pale_ Pretty sure that batch came from a friend's house, who had a couple of dogs visiting fairly regularly.

HTH. :o
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family