Charities board update
Please note, our Forum rules no longer allow the posting of links to personal fundraising or crowdfunding pages, such as JustGiving. You can read the full set of our Forum rules here.

Expenses (motor) for charity work

We are in the process of reimbursing our volunteers for using their cars to visit people and make drop-offs etc.

I've seen the form for setting this up and the HMRC guidelines but can't see what I need to ensure that these volunteers are covered for their car insurance. Most policies have Social, domestic, pleasure and commuting to a single place of work, but as it's not work, is this covered? What if the volunteer is retired etc.

Any pointers would be appreciated.

Comments

• Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,021 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I'd say NOT covered and each volunteer needs to speak to their insurer about this.

If there's a charge, wiĺl you reimburse?
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • That's what I'd thought Sue, yes we would reimburse.
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,280 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I would say that even though it is voluntary then business cover would be needed.

Charity status is neither here nor there. It is still a business and they are carrying out driving for the business.
  • leylie
    leylie Posts: 105 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I've not heard that any of the Volunteers (from the organisation I'm invovled with) have been charged extra. But it does need to be declared.
    Here's the official guidance: (You can check this reference source through Gov.uk)

Insurance for volunteer drivers
    If your organisation owns the vehicle being used by a volunteer, it is responsible for arranging insurance.

If the volunteer owns the vehicle, they are responsible for arranging insurance. They should inform their insurer that they are using it as part of a volunteering role.

The Association of British Insurer’s Volunteer Driving – The Motor Insurance Commitment (PDF, 781KB) lists insurance companies that don’t charge extra premiums for volunteer driving.

https://knowhow.ncvo.org.uk/your-team/volunteers-and-your-organisation/insurance-and-volunteers
    Leylie
  • Many thanks for all your help all
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,552 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I used to be a volunteer for a national charity, using a car was essential as I was transporting myself & dog! I was paid car expenses (mileage)
    I just told my insurer that I was a volunteer and my insurance covered that.(There was no extra premium.)
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything! --
    Many thanks
    -Stash bust:in 2022:337
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets,29 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=163 £86 spent!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure