Comments

• gt94sss2
    gt94sss2 Posts: 5,614
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 15 September 2019 at 8:45PM
    rags58 wrote: »
    I thought it was a relatively simple error to rectify

What was the opening reading you provided Symbio?

Regardless, it could easily be Octopus's error if they issued their final bill before waiting for a final 'industry agreed' reading

Losing firms frequently have to reissue final bills if they issue them too quickly.
  • rags58
    rags58 Posts: 67
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Thanks to everyone for advice/info.
    When something does go wrong, all you want is to have it resolved. It does affect how you view a company. I'm still hopeful it will be resolved this week and my account will then run smoothly for the rest of the term.
    I think the unit rates and standing charge are very competitive and I have no issue with their advance billing. Main thing that lets them down is failing to respond to customers queries effectively.
  • nic_c
    nic_c Posts: 2,928
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    gt94sss2 wrote: »

Regardless, it could easily be Octopus's error if they issued their final bill before waiting for a final 'industry agreed' reading

Losing firms frequently have to reissue final bills if they issue them too quickly.
    This is quite correct and the OP may also want to contact Octopus to check. If Octopus come back saying they used the industry verified reading then its with Symbio, but if they based it on the initial reading and Symbio have based it on the reading that came back from verification then its Octopus.
  • rags58
    rags58 Posts: 67
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    gt94sss2 wrote: »

Symbio stated they would take over my supply on the 18/7/19
    Octopus billed me up to the 17/7/19 and sent their final bill about 7-10 days later
    Symbio sent 1st bill on the 18/7/19 (the date of the agreed transfer) but charged me as their customer from the 13/7/19.
    I have no idea why Symbio picked the 13th, but based on the information I have, the error lies with Symbio not Octopus as Symbio changed the agreed date.
  • gt94sss2
    gt94sss2 Posts: 5,614
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    If you ignore the date issue for a moment, what opening meter reading did you give Symbio and on what date?
  • gt94sss2 wrote: »
    If you ignore the date issue for a moment, what opening meter reading did you give Symbio and on what date?

I have checked my emails and the meter reading I gave on the 17th was not recorded on the e-mail. All I have is Symbio acknowledging my opening meter reading and stating it would be processed and validated. If I was to hazard a guess or make an assumption I would say the figure I gave Symbio was the same figure Octopus used as my final reading.
    I know roughly how many units I use in a day and Octopus issued a bill to the 30/6/19 based on a reading I gave at the end of June.
    A simple calculation for 1st-17th July takes me almost to the same figure Octopus have, so its a fair assumption that's the figure I gave to Symbio.
  • MABLE
    MABLE Posts: 4,077
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Checked this am and if by magic the historical reads have now appeared online.
  • Talldave
    Talldave Posts: 2,002
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    rags58 wrote: »
    I have checked my emails and the meter reading I gave on the 17th was not recorded on the e-mail. All I have is Symbio acknowledging my opening meter reading and stating it would be processed and validated. If I was to hazard a guess or make an assumption I would say the figure I gave Symbio was the same figure Octopus used as my final reading.
    I know roughly how many units I use in a day and Octopus issued a bill to the 30/6/19 based on a reading I gave at the end of June.
    A simple calculation for 1st-17th July takes me almost to the same figure Octopus have, so its a fair assumption that's the figure I gave to Symbio.

You seem very upset about something you're not totally certain about? Either you have a record of readings submitted or you don't. If you don't then you don't have a case. Always photograph meter readings - most phones incorporate the date and time in the photo's filename as well as in embedded metadata- it's good evidence to help resolve any arguments.
  • Well - I've transferred over to Symbio on an E10 meter and there wasn't even a suggestion I would have to swap to a Smart Meter.

The transfer was not the smoothest. The first attempt got rejected at the last moment (as they say they had not received my DD mandate details - which I proved that they had) and I was bounced back to the original supplier and had to go through the process again. Plus Symbio then fluffed up my transfer readings. But got all that sorted out with a £10 credit from Symbio for the hassle and now (touch wood) it seems to be proceeding well.

HOWEVER - the Smart Energy Club alert function is now useless to me as the SYmbio tariffs are not available in the selection, so I cannot set up my account to the tariff I am currently on. Have grumbled about this before but nobody has added them - Grrr!
  • Floretti
    Floretti Posts: 12 Forumite
    edited 17 September 2019 at 9:31AM
    horatiog wrote: »
    Well - I've transferred over to Symbio on an E10 meter

Good luck with that then :cool:
    horatiog wrote: »
    HOWEVER - the Smart Energy Club alert function is now useless to me...

Do you mean the MSE Chaep Energy Club?
    If so, it always was useless to you as it does not cater for those with E10 or other complex metering. :cool:
    I have an Economy 9 or Economy 10 meter - can I compare?

Those with Economy 9 or Economy 10 meters aren't well catered for, as suppliers don't make it easy to get the right information. You can't currently compare on any comparison site. ...

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback