Symbio Energy feedback

Comments

• tk47
    tk47 Posts: 311 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Andrew1974 wrote: »
    What? Symbio are good but meter readings disappear and another one is starting a spreadsheet.

But symbio are good. Omg, have a word.

Have a word with yourself, mate!

If you read my earlier post you will see rather than the meter readings disappearing, they have actually appeared on my statements.
    (griffb previously gave a possible explanation as to why they were missing, and empirical evidence since suggest that may be a correct explanation)

What is wrong with me wishing to have my own spreadsheet to verify the statements of the supplier? It's entirely my decision, and as I said, I feel it is worth a little effort for the savings I'm enjoying :money:
  • If you have a android phone there's a nice little app called usage calculator available.

A digital version of a spreadsheet. I use this to keep track of my usage

I too am very happy with symbio nowadays. A flaky start but they have and continue to improve.
  • Am thinking of going with these as I am an Eversmart customer. From reading the comments if you keep an eye on usage they are worthwhile to go with?
  • MABLE
    MABLE Posts: 4,080 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Regarding meter reads online I notice the online account has not been updated with the latest read. However the latest read is shown on the actual bill received in the week. Assume teething issues.
  • rags58
    rags58 Posts: 67 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    My experience with Symbio
    Transferred to Symbio on the 18/7/19 from Octopus energy. Received my first bill on the same day and noticed I was being overcharged by Symbio as they had not used the final closing reading from Octopus. I assumed it was a temporary error and they would amend the mistake by the next bill, but they did not. I wrote to them on the 10/8/19 and again a fortnight later enclosing my final bill with octopus and my 1st bill with them but received no acknowledgement. I phoned them on 6/9/19 and after 40+ minutes on the phone they agreed I had been overcharged and they would credit my bank account the following week. Yesterday (13/9/19) I spoke to them again and was told the "credit" had been delayed and would not take place until the start of the following week.
    My conclusion
    Symbio energy promised a smooth and easy transfer...It wasn't ! They promised to deal with complaints efficiently and timeously....They haven't!
    They have never responded to any of my emails and I now feel they are fobbing me off with excuses about being reimbursed in the hope I will give up. Their prices may be competitive:

Supplier Symbio Energy Limited
    Tariff name Symbio Monthly DD Fixed July 2019 v2*
    Tariff type Fixed**
    Payment method
    Direct Debit
    Standard unit rate 12.900 p per kWh
    Standing charge 9.000 p per day
    Tariff ends on 31 July 2019
    Price guaranteed until 31 July 2020
    Exit fees(if you change supplier before the end date) £0.00
    But if you feel that the company is being disingenuous with you then it might be best to look elsewhere.
  • rags58 wrote: »
    My experience with Symbio
    Transferred to Symbio on the 18/7/19 from Octopus energy. Received my first bill on the same day and noticed I was being overcharged by Symbio as they had not used the final closing reading from Octopus. I assumed it was a temporary error and they would amend the mistake by the next bill, but they did not. I wrote to them on the 10/8/19 and again a fortnight later enclosing my final bill with octopus and my 1st bill with them but received no acknowledgement. I phoned them on 6/9/19 and after 40+ minutes on the phone they agreed I had been overcharged and they would credit my bank account the following week. Yesterday (13/9/19) I spoke to them again and was told the "credit" had been delayed and would not take place until the start of the following week.
    My conclusion
    Symbio energy promised a smooth and easy transfer...It wasn't ! They promised to deal with complaints efficiently and timeously....They haven't!
    They have never responded to any of my emails and I now feel they are fobbing me off with excuses about being reimbursed in the hope I will give up. Their prices may be competitive:

Supplier Symbio Energy Limited
    Tariff name Symbio Monthly DD Fixed July 2019 v2*
    Tariff type Fixed**
    Payment method
    Direct Debit
    Standard unit rate 12.900 p per kWh
    Standing charge 9.000 p per day
    Tariff ends on 31 July 2019
    Price guaranteed until 31 July 2020
    Exit fees(if you change supplier before the end date) £0.00
    But if you feel that the company is being disingenuous with you then it might be best to look elsewhere.

When you switch energy supplier, you are expected to provide the opening meter reading to the new supplier.

The new supplier then passes that meter reading to the independent meter validation company who validates it (or revises it) and informs both the new and old supplier.
  • I should have clarified....."I did" Sent meter reading to Symbio on 17th

"Thank you very much for submitting your meter readings.
    We have sent your meter reads to our regulator as part of the meter audit and validation. Once processed, the meter reads will appear on your next bill. In some cases, if the meter read is received less than 7 days before the monthly estimated bill is generated, the meter read may not be taken into account. However, the accurate read will reflect on your next bill thereafter....... "

Symbio then used an arbitrary reading on the 13/7/19 as the start date for charging me, but gave the commencement date as taking over my supply as the 18/7/19. (Their 1st bill clearly states the contradictory dates) Octopus energy also billed me for the period 13/7-17/7/19 as I was still their customer. Effectively meant I was being charged by both Symbio and Octopus energy for the same period.
    As I originally said, I initially assumed it was a miscommunication between the suppliers and would be rectified within a week or two. I waited until August 10th before I wrote to Symbio about the overlap charge as it still had not been rectified.
  • nic_c
    nic_c Posts: 2,928 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    rags58 wrote: »
    I should have clarified....."I did" Sent meter reading to Symbio on 17th

"Thank you very much for submitting your meter readings.
    We have sent your meter reads to our regulator as part of the meter audit and validation. Once processed, the meter reads will appear on your next bill. In some cases, if the meter read is received less than 7 days before the monthly estimated bill is generated, the meter read may not be taken into account. However, the accurate read will reflect on your next bill thereafter....... "

Symbio then used an arbitrary reading on the 13/7/19 as the start date for charging me, but gave the commencement date as taking over my supply as the 18/7/19. (Their 1st bill clearly states the contradictory dates) Octopus energy also billed me for the period 13/7-17/7/19 as I was still their customer. Effectively meant I was being charged by both Symbio and Octopus energy for the same period.
    As I originally said, I initially assumed it was a miscommunication between the suppliers and would be rectified within a week or two. I waited until August 10th before I wrote to Symbio about the overlap charge as it still had not been rectified.
    Symbio charge in advance so you could pay for both initially but not for the same use.

Two things have the meter readings been the same for the end/start. Have you checked how much standing charge you have been charged. It's these that matter rather than dates, you may have been billed from 13th but need to check if standing charge accounts to only days from 18th. If the readings are the same by each company then that's not an issue. Bear in mind the reading they us may differ to what you give as they are checked in the validating, this does not matter so long as both providers use the same one.
  • rags58
    rags58 Posts: 67 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    This is a partial copy of my letter to Symbio with the disputed overlapping dates.......
    ........."I have just received my final bill with Octopus energy from the 13/7/19 -17/7/19 (see attachment below) They state closing final meter reading is 7579 According to your first bill issued on the 18/7/19 you have an opening meter reading of 7446 (see attachment below).
    This means I will have been charged for units 7446 to 7579 by both Octopus energy and by Symbio. Can you please amend your opening meter read so that it reflects the correct final reading given by Octopus energy..............."
    I thought it was a relatively simple error to rectify, I did spend more than 40 minutes on the phone trying to explain the error. They initially suggested I hadn't been charged twice for the overlapping units, until I pointed out on their bill that I had. They also suggested this overlap was permitted and was "normal practise " It was only after my perseverance they conceded an error had been made and said I would be refunded.
    Hopefully it will be resolved this week. I just wanted to give my experience dealing with Symbio and how effective their customer services are.
  • Tafrock
    Tafrock Posts: 747 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I had a similar problem. I simply gave symbio the reading that powershop used to close my account with and they rectified it immediately. This was way back in April. I've had no such problems since that initial bill and the double billing of units which was sorted swiftly and to my satisfaction
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback