Dan's desperate dash towards solvency

Comments

• Bobarella
    Bobarella Posts: 10,824 Forumite
    Savvy Shopper! I've been Money Tipped!
    Do you think having visual reminders around the place might help you? Some people like affirmations, you could write down some that mean something to you, when in a positive​ mindset, then display them in places you see throughout the day.
    " Your vibe attracts your tribe":D

Debt neutral :) 27/03/17 from £40k:eek: in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £56.58 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1900 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
  • Why not go for positive countdown type notes ... cleared since LBM, cleared this month, expected to clear next month. Hey, as it's countdown you can even include a pic of Rachel Riley ... she does love those numbers!
    174 BPM >> CC Balance (0%) -£3,565.99 - Target DFD Dec 2017 >> Loan (Car) (3.1%) -£19,803.74 - Target DFD Nov 2020
  • KxMx
    KxMx Posts: 10,599 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    worriedDan wrote: »
    Had a really good evening yesterday and felt like I had really turned a corner. This morning I woke up early feeling rubbish. I couldn't get the ". I can't believe I owe fifty grand oncredit cards" out of my head. Feeling so very nervous about it and worried that I might not be able to fix it.

It is not nice, but absolutely okay to feel like that.

You can't be strong and positive all the time & you shouldn't expect to be so then beat yourself up when you're not.

The important thing is you pick up after a low spell.

You have only just started tackling the debt and your mental health, please remember that, these things take time but you are certainly on the right path for both.
  • worriedDan
    worriedDan Posts: 262 Forumite
    So it's the start of a new week and I'm determined it's going to be a better one, rules for this week...

No 'adding up' debt totals. It doesn't help me

No stressing over my wife's small debts- store cards and overdraft. She is dealing with these so that I don't have to think about it

Dont think about money all day everyday

Stop beating myself up and remind myself that I can fix this

Forget the total balance. It won't change if I constantly obsess over it

Focus on next payment

Let's see how this week goes
  • Hey, you've definitely been through the wringer with it all, but we're all wishing you the best with your DF journey. There will be up and down days (and weeks) but hopefully you feel like you're making progress, however slowly it might seem. It sounds (from your other posts) that the counselling is helping to an extent.
    174 BPM >> CC Balance (0%) -£3,565.99 - Target DFD Dec 2017 >> Loan (Car) (3.1%) -£19,803.74 - Target DFD Nov 2020
  • motivated
    motivated Posts: 3,044 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Hi Dan
    Its good to see you a little more positive. keep taking each day as it comes. As you said stressing yourself out over the totals will only make it seem harder. aim for small steps and small goals.

You're doing great
    M
    Emptying my lake with a teaspoon
  • Bobarella
    Bobarella Posts: 10,824 Forumite
    Savvy Shopper! I've been Money Tipped!
    You sound calm and focused today. I hope your week goes well.
    " Your vibe attracts your tribe":D

Debt neutral :) 27/03/17 from £40k:eek: in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £56.58 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1900 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
  • worriedDan
    This has been my best morning since the start of all this. Got up early and went for a run. Exercise definitely helps to clear my head. I slept really well last night. I am finding that I am not thinking about money last thing at night, although I still wake up thinking about each morning. Hopefully this will fade in time.

Today I have got a really busy day. The plan is to just forget about the money stuff until next week when pay day arrives.

I went for another long walk with my lovely dad last night. He has been my rock through all of this and has really helped to pull me through. He has reminded me constantly that my debt is manageable and that he is more concerned about my health. Last night he told me that he doesn't want to hear anymore numbers when we are discussing it as he isn't interested in what we owe. He has also urged me to not share specific details with anyone else ( I have a tendency to overshare and almost 'confess')

I really feel like things are starting to pick up for me. I think that I really did hot rock bottom a couple of weeks ago. I still don't feel 'normal', but I am feeling a little better each day. I am really looking forward to the Easter break. We are going to head down to the coast for a few low cost days ( staying in a borrowed caravan). My aim is to not think about the debt at all during this break.
  • motivated
    motivated Posts: 3,044 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post PPI Party Pooper
    worriedDan wrote: »
    This has been my best morning since the start of all this.

I am really looking forward to the Easter break. We are going to head down to the coast for a few low cost days ( staying in a borrowed caravan). My aim is to not think about the debt at all during this break.

Hi Dan its lovely to see you doing ok. It really seems like you have turned a corner and its great :T

A few days away is a great idea. Enjoy it you deserve it.
    M
    Emptying my lake with a teaspoon
  • worriedDan
    I had a real moment of clarity this morning. I woke up feeling a bit rubbish ( mornings are when my mind goes haywire and I start overthinking). My wife,who has been wonderful, reminded me that we have almost completed month 1, that everything has been fine, we haven't felt deprived and that there is nothing to worry about. She is totally right. This month we have managed to pay a massive chunk of debt (£1600), have the car MOT'd and serviced and PAID IN CASH. Paid for a present for a 'big' birthday for a family member that we were committed to IN CASH ( £100). We have managed to have a nice night out together. M wife has been out for a curry and to the theatre. I also had to deal with some bank charges ( £65) from last month, when were still living our 'old life' We are now at the end of month 1 and we have about £250 left!!!! I can't remember us EVER having money left at the end of the month, so this shows just what we can achieve when we work together.

Another positive change is that I feel that my relationship with my wife has actually improved. I had definitely underestimated the distance that I had created by not fostering a more open approach to our money and debt. I feel like we have really moved up a level. I used to constantly worry about being able to move to a bigger house, get a better car, etc but in reality none of that stuff really matters a great deal. Yes, we probably will move house in a few years when the debt has gone, but actually our current house is fine. It's a 3 bed semi with nice neighbours and more than big enough for the 3 of us. New car? Yes, but not until my current one 'passes away'. I have always worried about what people would think of me/us if we didn't live in a decent postcode or have the best car etc, but those things suddenly seem so unimportant.

I HAVEN'T USED MY CREDIT CARDS FOR ALMOST A MONTH!!!

I can really see that this could actually be a positive experience for us in the long term.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure