How does everyone stay motivated?

Comments

• waiting to see the look on my kids faces when we can afford a holiday to disney land

thats my goal
    i have an intermittant connection so sorry if i dont reply straight away
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 303
    *Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts!*

*Learning to be a house proud flybaby*

weff level 59ish

:smiley:you can't get a YES if you don't ask :smiley:

:dance: :T :rotfl: :j :A :j :rotfl: :T :dance:
  • tesuhoha
    tesuhoha Posts: 17,971 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    We've just decided once again not to start doing up the house but to throw everything at the debt. Thats my motivation, living in an old house and dreaming of comfort and luxury. It also helps to keep a total outstanding at the end of each month, like debt end of Feb for instance and keep a list of these figures so you can watch the debt going down and say in six months time you can look back and see how much youve paid off.
    The forest would be very silent if no birds sang except for the birds that sang the best

• lynsayjane
    lynsayjane Posts: 3,547 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    i struggle with the motivation thing too and end up buying myself stupid treats to say well done when i've done little!

i'm on hols from work the next two weeks and i plan on spending some of that organising my finances better (as well as the rest of my life) to make it easier to see exactly what i'm achieving. i find it hard when i don't have something physical to say i did this.
  • Ive read a couple of the answers to staying motivated and think that you have to find something that works for you. I seem to have incorporated a mixture of the suggestions. I keep a spreadsheet whihc in black and white makes for harsh but a true reading of my finances but it feels great when you can delete a debt off. Focus on something you would like (and need) for motivation i havent had a holiday with my kids since divorcing 6 years ago that i paid for without family help and thats what I want to do and count to ten when it goes a bit pear shaped. Ohh and has a mum i would say if you are in financial difficulties before kids STOP it is a complete a utter drain on your pocket no matter how hard you try. I love my two but with hobbies, clothes, school holidays it mounts up!!
  • Ive read a couple of the answers to staying motivated and think that you have to find something that works for you. I seem to have incorporated a mixture of the suggestions. I keep a spreadsheet which in black and white makes for a harsh but true reading of my finances but it feels great when you can delete a debt off. Focus on something you would like (and need) for motivation, i havent had a holiday with my kids since divorcing 6 years ago that i paid for without family help and thats what I want to do. Count to ten when it goes a bit pear shaped. Ohh and has a mum i would say if you are in financial difficulties before kids STOP it is a complete and utter drain on your pocket no matter how hard you try. I love my two but with hobbies, clothes, school holidays it mounts up and fast and the pressure of "Keeping upi with the Jones" will get to you at some point.
  • janiegs
    janiegs Posts: 211 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    The thought of being able to spend the money that I am using every month to pay off my debts on my husband and son. That's what keeps me motivated!
  • PercyPig
    PercyPig Posts: 162 Forumite
    Plum_Pie wrote:

Digression: I remember the episode of the Simpsons where Homer is forced to do overtime and Mr Burns puts up a sign in his office which says 'Remember you're here forever'. Marge is preggers with Maggie, hence the overtime and when she's born, Homer puts up photos of her so the sign reads 'Remember you're here for her'. I actually cried when I saw this episode ( I was up to my neck in debt at the time and have such respect for DFWs with children.)

Totally off topic but this is my favourite episode of The Simpsons and is called "And Maggie Makes Three". I don't blame you Plum Pie, I get a lump in my throat every time I see the episode :)
    Dealing with my debt and my weight :D
    Debt at LBM 22/12/08 £33,270
    Debt now £30,100 (9.5% paid off)

£2 coins saved and banked = £210
  • dinkylou
    dinkylou Posts: 727 Forumite
    Having little and big goals keeps me motivated.

When I have paid off my personal debt then I shall be saving enough to take a year out and go travel before I am too old. Thats my big long term goal and keeps me going.

However I make myself little small goals and treat myself if I achieve them. That keeps me going and I watch my totals falling on my spreadsheet which keeps me going from week to week.
  • Mr_Burns wrote:
    This month this has meant I havent spent £60 on a new pair of gym trainers

You're doing better than me! But to be fair I did get 10% off them coz they had a mark on them and they were already reduced! :beer:

I have no excuse for the other pair that cost me £85 though! :o :rotfl:
  • emzig123
    emzig123 Posts: 193 Forumite
    I'm not really a DFW as such cos I am a student so no way of paying off my already ridiculous debt. However I do try and live the life of a DFW as I live on a low income and I use lots of the hints and tips I find on this board (that's why I love it!). Motivation for me is just the buzz of being able to graduate with the minimum of debt and then pay it off, I'm so sad lol!

I have a spreadsheet where I track how much money I have where and what I'm going to use it for. Also keep a spending diary and thsi gets recorded on my spreadsheet so I know where I am. Helps that I'm a maths geek and love numbers (training to be a maths teacher!).

The trick is, find methods and motivations that fit you, don't set stupid targets cos you will fail and get demotivated. Good luck!
    Official DFW Nerd No 275
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport