The lengths we go to to save money

Comments

• Aj_eye
    Aj_eye Posts: 80 Forumite
    Ooooohhh I like this thread

1. Cut my own hair (and have done for the last 12 years)
    2. Always check the quantity of washing up powder i use per load... (in the UK we use far too much)
    3. Buy clothes from second hand shops
    4. visit MSE daily
    5. Never do a big shop on a saturday and head straight for the 'Reduced to Clear' section.
    6. visit shops 30 mins before they close
    ..... watch out for the fresh produce that needs to be sold that night....(the foods standard agency insist that all food with limited shelf life have a 'safty factor' included in the 'Sell by date' ...this means if at item has a sell by date of 20/03/07 by law it must be ok for consumption up to 23/03/07 .....please note that this varies depending on the product..)
    Living with the legacy of bad decisions....but Proud to be dealing with my debts !:j Official DFW Nerd No. 362
  • kasper
    kasper Posts: 18 Forumite
    The other day I was at a service station on the motorway and really thirsty and there were no drinks for sale for less than £1. So i fished an empty coke bottle out of a bin, and went and washed it and filled it up with cold water from the sink in the baby changing room (the sinks in the toilets only had warm water).

I've also done this on trains, even though there's big signs by the taps saying 'not drinking water'.

I also recently discovered that in the cafe at my college they'll sell me a cup of hot water for 10p into which I can put my own teabag brought from home... I'm going to try and make sure I always have a few teabags in my bag and ask at places like AMT if they can give me hot water cheaply. Has anyone else tried this?
  • Thought I had the weekly shopping down as low as possible at about £65-£75 a week for everything for our family of 4 but bought as much value brand stuff instead this week as I could stand and it cost £50.14 all in even including delivery.Loads of stuff too, it'll definately last longer than 1 week.3KG sacks of pasta for £1.00, 5kg potatoes for £1.76.
    The only thing about ordering the value stuff online is that most of it has no image for you to look at so you have to trust the very basic descriptions.I wasted £1.76 this week buying tesco value grated cheese 500g, when it arrived the labelling says mozzarrella style cheese substitute,YUK!!!Not edible!
    If anyone has used this pretend cheese made with potato starch(YUK!!!) in a successful cooked recipe I would be grateful of of the details.
    MONEY SAVING HAIRCUTS-Ladies if you have a simple hairstyle go to the barber instead of your salon.I did this once because I was desperate and the salon was too busy to do my hair.Cheekily asked the gents barber next door to my salon to trim my hair and got the same as the usual £22.50 trim for £3.50!!!Prices have gone up to £4.50 now but still a beautiful bargain.
    "Reaching out to touch the stars dont forget the flowers at your feet".
  • franny
    franny Posts: 149 Forumite
    I sleep in a box and only drink rain water.

Well, not actually but that would save a few quid wouldn't it. I just only really buy anything if I have gone for say a few days without it and I find that I still need it. Not food mind, I need that every day but things like new clothes, shoes, shirts for work. Do I really need them or is it an impulse.

I tend to buy them a few days later anyway but at least I'm testing myself.
    Proud to be dealing with my debts
  • troubrs
    troubrs Posts: 110 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    I've just gone down to part time work to spend more time with the kids & my extreme measures (which helps me still give the kids some luxuries) are:

I hardly buy any ready meals anymore, & I write down my shopping costs each week to make me think again when I've overspent!

Grow most of my own veg on allotment & patio (& swap plants with friends).

Reuseable nappies & use cotton wool & warm water instead of wipes. Only discovered reuseables 2nd time round & estimate it's already saved me £200 in 2 years.

buy all my fruit & veg from the market (plus I get a good walk in my lunch hour).

Make cakes with my 4 year old daughter each weekend - she loves it & cakes for lunchboxes are much cheaper (& nicer) home made.

All used A4 paper at work gets piled up by my desk (also means that if I accidentally throw something I wanted i can usually find it again!). I then bring a bagful of it home every now & then for my daughter to use to draw on the back of & also to print out stuff from the pc on. I also download loads of free colouring in pics from the internet for my daughter to colour in.

Dry stuff on the line wherever possible - even in winter I hang clothes across the inside of my conservatory - makes whites stay white!

The usual yoghurt pots for plant pots & those drinking yoghurt pots on the top of any canes in your carden to scare birds away & stop little eyes getting poked.
  • mioliere
    mioliere Posts: 6,838 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    White vinegar instead of fabric conditioner in your washing machine works just as well, is far cheaper, doesn't leave a vinegary smell and keeps the soap dispenser drawer lovely and clean! Just use one capful (the cap from the vinegar botttle itself). I was also told years ago by someone who worked in a factory making towels that you shouldn't use any fabric conditioner when washing towels because it makes them less absorbent - tried it and it really works!
    KNIT YOUR SQUARE TOTALS:

Squares: 11, Animal blankets: 2
  • winkle1
    winkle1 Posts: 446 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    make soup out of veg that is going off
    freeze everything that is going off and can be frozen to use at a later date
    water down the shampoo and fairy liquid at the end to get extra use
    buy asda's own whenever possible
    plan meals so any foods going out of date will get eaten
    stopped going down the pub during the week :(
    ***PROUD TO BE DEALING WITH MY DEBT***

Reclaimed my bank charges - got £250 back from HSBC and £88 from First Direct :)
  • winkle1
    winkle1 Posts: 446 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    thought of some more:

make cookies and flapjacks for OH's pack lunch
    always take a pack lunch from home
    have tea and coffee from the machine at work rather than paying for it
    use quidco and pigsback
    stopped buying clothes and dieting to gt into the lovely ones i have already!
    ***PROUD TO BE DEALING WITH MY DEBT***

Reclaimed my bank charges - got £250 back from HSBC and £88 from First Direct :)
  • Crown
    Crown Posts: 1,377 Forumite
    kasper wrote: »
    I also recently discovered that in the cafe at my college they'll sell me a cup of hot water for 10p into which I can put my own teabag brought from home... I'm going to try and make sure I always have a few teabags in my bag and ask at places like AMT if they can give me hot water cheaply. Has anyone else tried this?

Hi, I recently read on Lauren_1 thread "Meet the Frugals" that she had done something similar with Tea Bags at Costa or Starbucks. ;)
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 297 - Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts :D
  • mioliere
    mioliere Posts: 6,838 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I can't believe they actually charge you for the hot water! I'm in the wrong business! You could always take a small flask then you'd save even more!
    KNIT YOUR SQUARE TOTALS:

Squares: 11, Animal blankets: 2
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family