PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cheap Cake Recipes?

Comments

• juliejay
    juliejay Posts: 70 Forumite
    I would go with the usual sponge mix:

Weigh two eggs. Add the same weight of sugar, butter/ Marg and SR flour. Add a pinch of salt and a splash of vanilla (if you have it). Divide into twelve paper cases. Bake at 180 degrees for about 10 mins until they are just starting to brown.

This will make a dozen cupcakes (fairy cakes in the olden days). Then decorate to your hearts content.

Butter cream with sprinkles, grated chocolate, chopped up crunchy etc.

Cut the tops off and fill with jam and whipped cream or lemon cheese and dust (technical term here to impress)with icing sugar.

Cover with milk and white chocolate buttons as soon as they come out of
    the oven and swirl about artfully when melted.

Replace two dessertspoons of flour with cocoa powder for the chocolate version or add chocolate chips to the mix.

Off to the kitchen to make some myself now.
  • Rebelle
    Rebelle Posts: 84 Forumite
    Fridge cakes are very easy and very yummy, and great for using up odds and sods in your cupboards or depending on the ingreds you choose can be as cheap or as indulgent as you like - think American-style Rocky Road: melted choc mixed with nuts, marshmallows, raisins, crumbled biscuits, rice crispies/cornflakes etc then spread onto a tray, cover with clingfilm and leave in the fridge to set until firm... gorgeous!!

I usually just make it up as I go along but there are loads of variations if you Google for a recipe - I've tried this Nigella one for Sweet & Salty Nut Crunch bars (aka choc, salted peanut and honeycomb fridge cake) and it was divine.

I love brownies too for a cheap and easy bake - mix 3oz flour with 8oz sugar and a generous tbsp of cocoa powder, then add 4oz melted butter (or to cut costs, 100ml sunflower oil - can be used in muffins too instead of butter/marg) and 3 beaten eggs, mix until combined, pour into a lined/greased tin and bake for 20 mins or so at about 180 til a knife just comes out clean. You can also add choc chunks, chopped nuts or peanut butter to these - or make them into my fave - white choc & raspberry blondies, just sub the cocoa with an extra oz of flour and add white choc chips and raspberries - Frozen are much cheaper than fresh & great for baking, on 3 punnets for £5 @ Tesco at the mo.

Hope whatever your daughter bakes turns out well OP, let us know how she gets on! :)
    Pax Et Bonum
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Lots of cheap, easy and bullet proof recipes here... http://www.be-ro.com/f_insp.htm

And quite a number in The Complete Cooking Collection listed under biscuits / cakes and so on.

Have fun :)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • grumswifie
    grumswifie Posts: 152 Forumite
    Hi there

I make a really easy tea loaf which is very simple to make.

1 cup of black tea
    1 cup of currants
    1 cup of sugar
    2 coups of self raising flour

Soak the currants in the tea for a couple of hours and mix in remaining ingredients. Put into a lined 2lb tin and bake for about an hour at 160c. Serve in thick slices slathered in butter.
    Sealed pot challenge member no 1057
    No toiletries in 2011, well shampoo, toothpaste or deodurant!
  • Flibsey
    Flibsey Posts: 579 Forumite
    4 oz sugar
    4 oz fat
    4 oz SR flour
    2 eggs

beat sugar and fat together (oil, marge r butter doesn't matter so long as it weights 4 oz), add eggs one at a time with a little flour, beat, add rest of flour, beat, pour into greased tin and bake in 180 degree oven until risen and golden and springing back when touched lightly on top.
  • zippychick
    zippychick Posts: 9,364 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    ive merged this with our cheap cake recipes thread :)

Zip
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men :cool:
    Norn Iron club member #380

• kingkano
    kingkano Posts: 1,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    grumswifie wrote: »
    Hi there

My tea loaf receipe, cheap, easy and tasty

1 cup currants
    1 cup of tea, fresh made soak currants until cold
    2 cups self raising flour
    1 cup caster sugar

Mix well pour into lined 2lb tin 180c for 50 mins. Serve in thick slices buttered. Delish

Ok confession : I wasnt expecting much from this - I thought no fat, no eggs??

But it was amazing! I used cranberries instead of currants (wife doesnt like currants) - and we can't stop eating it :rotfl:

So another thank you for this recipe :T
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Hmm... I've got a tin of black cherries in syrup I've been wondering what to do with... I wonder.... :)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • sproggi
    sproggi Posts: 1,560 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    I was wondering the same but with glace cherries as DS2 does not like any dried fruits, think I will give it a try later.
    'We can get over being poor, but it takes longer to get over being ignorant'
    Jane Sequichie Hifler
    Beware of little expenses.A small leak will sink a great ship
    Benjamin Franklin
  • grumswifie wrote: »
    Hi there

I make a really easy tea loaf which is very simple to make.

1 cup of black tea
    1 cup of currants
    1 cup of sugar
    2 coups of self raising flour

Soak the currants in the tea for a couple of hours and mix in remaining ingredients. Put into a lined 2lb tin and bake for about an hour at 160c. Serve in thick slices slathered in butter.

Thank you for this recipe :T I baked one earlier today and it is gorgeous, so moist! I used about 2 teaspoons of mixed spice in the mixture as well.

Got another on the go so we can take a slice with our lunches next week :D

I love this site - you just learn so much!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure