PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Milkmen - They can be cheaper

Options

Comments

• Alfietinker
    Options
    Hi, because we like fresh milk we've found ourself going to our local shop every couple of days to buy milk. So I suddenly thought I'd try a milkman. I've gone to Dairycrest's website to start a delivery but the price index just says "At current prices - speak to your roundsperson for details." I'm struggling to find any contact details.

I know they'll be more expensive than the supermarket, but then again so is our local shop, and I'd rather be supporting a milkman.

Anybody got any idea how much I can expect to pay for a pint of skimmed milk from a milkman?

Thanks! :)
    New year, no debt! Debt free date - 02/01/07 :j :j :j :D
  • Stompa
    Stompa Posts: 8,348 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Anybody got any idea how much I can expect to pay for a pint of skimmed milk from a milkman?

Not sure about skimmed, but our Dairy Crest milkman charges 49p a pint for standard silver top.
    Stompa
  • Alfietinker
    Options
    Thank you :-)
  • exlibris
    exlibris Posts: 696 Forumite
    Options
    Ours is 45p for semi skimmed
  • Linda32
    Linda32 Posts: 4,385 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think ours is 43p for semi skimmed.
  • Alfietinker
    Options
    Thanks all :) That's not too bad - I think 2pts semi cost 85p from the shop so I can stretch to a few extra pennies for a milkman.
  • ti1980
    ti1980 Posts: 1,528 Forumite
    Options
    85p for 2 pints in the local shop, wow. I normally get my milk for the house from M&S and that is 59p for 2 pints. The organic one is something like 83p for 2 pints.
  • Alfietinker
    Alfietinker Posts: 562 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I know it is more expensive than the supermarket, but I only go to Tesco etc occasionally. As we pay for the milk from the local, and the milkman is similar then it won't make much difference to us, and I think it would be a good thing to do rather than line Mr Tesco's pockets any more. ;)

We do lots of OS other ways though :j

However, I have just spoken to hubby who has a valid point. We leave the house at 6.45am and don't get back until 7pm. I assume milk wouldn't be delivered before then and would go off left outside during the day in summer? :confused:
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi Alfietinker,

You should be ok, our milkman delivers around 2am and we've always had milk for breakfast before my son leaves at 7am. You would need to check this with your local milkman first though.

We have another recent thread on the same subject, so I have merged them both together to keep all the replies in the same place.

Pink
  • willow_girl
    willow_girl Posts: 103 Forumite
    Options
    I think I pay 43p for a pint of milk. We have a pint every day. I find it amazing that there seem to be so few milkrounds out there. Perhaps I am lucky. There are always milk floats trundling around us.
    MFiT-T2 No.35
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport