The Simple Bare Necessities feat. Gratitude & Recipes

Options

Comments

• supersaver1000
    supersaver1000 Posts: 2,465 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options

I made a potato/tomato salad using the Majorcan tatties, made a version of Tzatziki, and a 'greek inspired' salad of roasted red peppers (jarred), olives and feta in a lemon vinagrette. This topped a handful of salad leaves, ................. topped off each plate with a half of avocado from the 'wonky bag'. It was ripe, creamy and delicious and a delight to eat.

Sat here this morning, mouth watering reading this. You have inspired me.... :):p:o
    OSWL (start 13st) by 30Jun20 6/10
    £1/day Xmas'20-62 £214/£366 saved
    Grocery Challenge Jun £742/£320 spent
    Homeowner wannabe by July 2020 - WooHoo!!
    Starter Emergency Fund £1000/£1000 saved
  • Greying_Pilgrim
    Greying_Pilgrim Posts: 5,426 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    *Waves* to Supersaver :wave:

Well, we got most of the bits and pieces on the list. Unfortunately, HB didn't have any lemons, so I didn't get any. I forgot to look in m&$ and the ones in the cellophane-wrapped meat shop were premium price for less than premium product.....

I did also manage to get a hair-cut, as my hairdresser was in early and there was only one client in front of me. just timed it right, as the place filled, just as we sat down.

So, definitely not a nsd today, but all things that were needed, so.......oh, apart from the choc ices that fell into the basket in h3r0n......;)

Right, I definitely need to shuffle orf and get some tidying done, fold and put away some clothes and sort out some lunch eventually.

Greying X
    Pounds for Panes £2,590/£10,000 - start date Dec 2023

Coins for Camping (April) -  £7/£15  (Camping TTD - £60/90)

Grocery spend April £184.08/215
    Non-food household spend April £27.83/25
    Bulk Fund April 0/£10

Knitted items for charity 1/24 (inc. Blankets 1/6)
  • Greying_Pilgrim
    Options
    Good Evening :hello:

I hope that you have had a great day, whatever you have found to do to amuse yourself :D

DH managed to bag some lemons in mrAl, 5 (I'm sure) in a net, unwaxed for 80p :D I may well be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that mrT have 'shrunk' the size of their own brand veggie, lincolnshire-style sausages :( The bag is huge, the sausages are not :( Let's hope they haven't messed around with the ingredients again.....

BG has had a mixed day. They seem to have had plenty of sleep, and yet when their behaviour deteriorated slightly, tiredness seemed to be at the back of it, so...... But they are still pretty good on the whole, and often don't realise the result of their actions, rather than be deliberately naughty. That's life, I guess.

Tea this evening turned out well, given it was a bit (lot) of a mash-up :D I made a red onion/green bean/black olive crustless quiche, which cooked in the oven with the tray of mediterranean veg that I got from HB. I added a smidge extra oil to the veg, a speck of salt & pepper and a splodge of garlic - whole garlic cloves would have been excellent :D I didn't use the l/o Majorcan tatties yesterday, so I made them into the meat-free Monday Potato Salad, with what i had, rather than slavishly following the recipe (don't like radishes anyway :(). I steamed (left it a bit too long :o) the PSB I had bought from HB yesterday, and plonked it all on a plate. I would definitely buy the tray of med. roasting veg again, I think it is well priced at £1. The PSB is lovely (even lovelier when not over-cooked), and the tatties worked well in the salad, it was obvious you were eating tattie, iyswim.

Today I am grateful for these 3 things;

my lovely husband - a wonderful husband, partner and father

a sorely needed haircut

for actually folding up the dry washing and putting it away :T:rotfl: - 'tis the little things.......... :rotfl:

Ta for popping by.

Greying X

Bulk Fund April 0/£10

• beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,268 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Love your 3 things to be grateful for :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Greying_Pilgrim
    Options
    beanielou wrote: »
    Love your 3 things to be grateful for :)

I sometimes worry I sound flippant, or glib, beanie. But the truth is, I really am glad for these things. My DH is just an 'ordinary' bloke, but he works hard for us, his family. And realises that marriage is mostly about teamwork, to achieve what needs to be done. And as for fatherhood - he was made for it :smileyhea

My hairdresser is a lovely lass, inspirational and a joy to be around. Life has thrown some ***t her way, but still she soldiers on with a spring in her step and a smile on her face. And she cuts my hair just how I've always wanted it :D For a relatively :money: price.

And I'm glad I got the washing cleared away, as there was more to replace it (actually don't like drying washing indoors, but needs must :(), and whilst I was doing it, BG fell asleep, so i was able to carry on, knowing that they were safe and sound and getting some restorative zzzz's in :D

Greying X

Bulk Fund April 0/£10

• beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,268 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    I sometimes worry I sound flippant, or glib, beanie. But the truth is, I really am glad for these things. My DH is just an 'ordinary' bloke, but he works hard for us, his family. And realises that marriage is mostly about teamwork, to achieve what needs to be done. And as for fatherhood - he was made for it :smileyhea

My hairdresser is a lovely lass, inspirational and a joy to be around. Life has thrown some ***t her way, but still she soldiers on with a spring in her step and a smile on her face. And she cuts my hair just how I've always wanted it :D For a relatively :money: price.

And I'm glad I got the washing cleared away, as there was more to replace it (actually don't like drying washing indoors, but needs must :(), and whilst I was doing it, BG fell asleep, so i was able to carry on, knowing that they were safe and sound and getting some restorative zzzz's in :D

Greying X

You never sound glib or flippant.
    Just happy with your lot which is a truely great gift.
    If only more people were xx
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Greying_Pilgrim
    Options
    Good Afternoon :hello:

Well, we've had a ball today. We went on an early (ish) morning adventure armed with a breakfast picnic (not wholly successful, am going to have to up my game in that department) to view a ....... I suppose you would call it an art trail - or perhaps a sculpture trail. Anyhoo, it was at a tourist honey-trap spot, so we decided to get there early to enjoy the pieces and avoid the crowds. That bit was successful, as we were able to enjoy the various works and take pictures of them, or of BG, to our hearts content.

Sadly, as with any outdoor public art, some 'people' had been unable to just ignore the pieces, and had taken it upon themselves to be judge, jury and executioner to some of the artwork. Trying to spoil it for everyone. Idiots.

We then went in search of bluebells in one of our favourite woodland walking spots. We found plenty, despite the season being quite advanced, and the weather warm for woodland plants.

Our trip out cost us knowt but fuel for the car, as the parking was free everywhere and we didn't actually need to buy anything, even though some shops were open for business. I did pop into mrAl on the way back to see if there was some beetroot in the S6. There was not. So I went to mrL instead and just got several bits for teas this week.

We had a 'picnic' lunch for our.... um lunch. DH had insisted we take one, but that wasn't what I intended - so it got carried about hither and yon, and then brought back to where it originated! I will get better on this 'breakfast picnic' mularkey - my intention is that you take out breakfast, but you're out for less than half the day, coming back home for lunch. I think this is the first one that we have done, with or without BG so it's a learning curve.......... :D None of us starved, we walked quite a way and had alot of fun together as a family. That's a win in my book :D

Right, I'm away to do summat - can't spend all day enjoying meself, can I? :D

Greying X

Bulk Fund April 0/£10

• Greying_Pilgrim
    Options
    Good Morning :hello:

Tuesday. Mmm.

I've some shopping to do today, so a 'brisk walk' is in order :D

I got some good sorting and tidying done yesterday - which of course, looks like nowt :( - a mix of toot and recyclables to the chazzer. I've a 'hot-spot' of dumped stuff that I would like to tackle today, so we will see how we go.

A list of stuff for the weekend is being devised. At the mo, we're shoving everything onto it, and then we'll have to sift it down into the 'possible'. I'm trying to encourage DH to complete one or two tasks this week, in order to help us achieve things at the weekend. But it's difficult after a long day at work, etc etc. So I do feel suitably mean.

Tea last night was Morrocan lentil salad, tomato & potato salad, dressed rocket leaves and grilled halloumi. I used green speckled lentils, as they were closest to hand, but I do have plenty of brown lentils (masoor dhal) too, so could have used them.

I've got a few ideas for tea this evening. It depends how well my shopping trip goes.

I've some money to shift about, on behalf of BG.

Can't think of owt else MS, so best vamoose.

Ta for reading. Appreciated.

Greying X

Bulk Fund April 0/£10

• rtandon27
    rtandon27 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Love a good list!:D
    4 YEARS 10 MONTHS DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    ...and now I have a mortgage! (23 AUG 2021)
    17 YEARS 4 MONTHS LEFT OF 20 YEARS
  • Greying_Pilgrim
    Options
    Thanks rtandon - DH is much more of a list follower than me, but he's certainly engaged in the process for this weekend, and has even remembered that sometimes you have to put other things in place to be able to complete a task - for example, if you've a lawn to cut, but no mower - you have to acquire one! If you've a nail to knock into a piece of wood, you'd better check there is a hammer in your tool roll! :D

Well, a successful morning has been had :D

I tackled the pile of toot that had gathered together to form a mound. Have dealt with most of it, so feeling pretty pleased about that - and no, I don't know why I didn't get round to it before, either! :o

We zoomed orf to the shops at a brisk lick, as the sun made an appearance and the temperature began rising. I got some beetroot (finally!) from the S6. I needed some salt, so called in to mrT to get a box of the essex stuff and called into mrM to get some more wonky avocados. They had quite a selection - depending on size, you could get 4, 5 or 6 to a net. I ended up selecting 2 nets of 4 apiece. They were hass avocados, produce of s.Africa. They were £1.56 a net. I also picked up some of their 'wonky' asparagus. 180g for £1 - which is not as barganacious as HB, but I knew I wasn't going to HB today, nor maybe not tomorrow, so I picked up some packets. On the plus side, it looked nice and fresh, and it was from a nearby county - although given the modern food distribution chain, I expect it had been sent to timbuktu to be packaged in plastic wrap, so I can't feel smug about low food miles.......... :(:(

BG fell asleep in their lunch - which I still find so hilarious to watch - and yes, dear reader, I am typing this whilst sat on the 'bad mummy' step. As clearly one shouldn't laugh at one's children...........

Whilst BG is snoozing, I have already ironed a piece of fabric - which I'd rewashed, because it had been on the dumping 'pile that didn't make me smile' for a while - in search of a home. I shall try to do better once it's fully dry - as it's my piece of vintage Laura A fabric. I shall also cook some split peas in the PC for tea whilst BG is safely away from the kitchen.

Right, best crack on, do a bit more. Ta for popping by :D

Greying X

Bulk Fund April 0/£10

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure