Debt Spiraling - Need Help Fast.

Comments

• Mumoffourkids
    Mumoffourkids Posts: 1,067 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    I agree with tea lady. My ex husband and I live about 100 miles apart and we meet halfway at a motorway service station so neither of us has to do the full journey which would be two and half hours each way. If you have to drive both ways, then you must be exhausted as well as using loads of fuel.

And also once your daughter turns three if both parents are working st least 16 hours, then you do get 30 hours of childcare term time only. It starts the term after they turn 3 and carries on until they start school.
  • I agree with tea lady. My ex husband and I live about 100 miles apart and we meet halfway at a motorway service station so neither of us has to do the full journey which would be two and half hours each way. If you have to drive both ways, then you must be exhausted as well as using loads of fuel.

And also once your daughter turns three if both parents are working st least 16 hours, then you do get 30 hours of childcare term time only. It starts the term after they turn 3 and carries on until they start school.
    tealady wrote: »
    Hi
    If you get thirsty then sugary pop will not help. Buy yourself a refillable bottle and fill up with tap water each time you leave the house.
    Re your son. Could you agree with your ex a mutual hand over point somewhere half way? Or woukd public transport be cheaper. Also check before you leave the house where the cheapest petrol station is and fill up there.
    Also take packed lunches to work, there are loads of ideas on the forums

Thanks. I will look into packed lunches. And I know pop doesn't help, unfortunately I'm a little addicted to energy drinks and pop due to the busy life I have, but I know I need to cut them out to not only save money but better my health.

As for childcare, I'll have to look into the 30 hours, the difficulty would be convincing my wife that it's not bad for my daughter to do 30 hours... . but with school/reception only another year 1/2 away I guess it makes little difference.

Unfortunately my ex girlfriend cannot drive so it's impossible for her to meet me half way for a handover. The only members of her family that can drive aren't willing as I have asked about it before. This means I have to do have to do the whole journey every time. Unfortunately public transport is awful between mine and hers. Neither are major cities/locations so the train is a 20 minute drive to the station followed by 3 changeovers on route. Takes are 4 hours one way and costs £45+ for a return fare which is more than I currently spend on fuel :(
  • Would relocating be an option so you are closer to your son / on a better route for public transport?
  • Would relocating be an option so you are closer to your son / on a better route for public transport?

I have considered the option, but my work is where I live and i'd be unlikely to get such a good job elsewhere. Not to mention my Wife is 100% against it. It would mean moving 115 from all our family and my daughters grandparents/aunts/uncles etc..

It would make a huge difference to us financially to move, but in all true honesty my marriage wouldn't survive it and then i'd end up 115 miles from my daughter the other end :eek:
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Are the costs of the return journeys to see your son accounted for in the child maintenance calculations?
  • tlc678910
    tlc678910 Posts: 982 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Re 30 hours childcare: I think it might be allowed for you to use a few less hours each week but spread your provision over the school holidays aswell, if your provider opens during the holidays e.g childminder or nursery which might help.
  • Pixie5740 wrote: »
    Are the costs of the return journeys to see your son accounted for in the child maintenance calculations?

Hi Pixie,

They are yes, although they will only let me take my yearly fuel from my net income. I have argued with them multiple times that vehicle maintenance and premature wear should be counted but to no avail. I'm in no way against maintenance payments, but it riles me that 16,000, 1300 liters of diesel and all the additional costs (insurance rises, tyres, extra servicing) aren't accounted for.

But hey, moaning about it wont get me out of debt so i carry on!
  • Hi, if you need help with taking lunch to work there is a good challenge on the dfw board where you challenge yourself to take lunch to work for a set number of days each month. Its something I have struggled with a lot before but I'm on my first month of the challenge and enjoying it - it keeps you more accountable! People often post their lunch for ideas as well.
    I do think your good shop looks high - maybe try meal planning a little or downbranding to see if thats helps?
  • Fingersoffish
    Fingersoffish Posts: 28 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 15 March at 7:45PM
    [quote=[Deleted User];74297572]Hi, if you need help with taking lunch to work there is a good challenge on the dfw board where you challenge yourself to take lunch to work for a set number of days each month. Its something I have struggled with a lot before but I'm on my first month of the challenge and enjoying it - it keeps you more accountable! People often post their lunch for ideas as well.
    I do think your good shop looks high - maybe try meal planning a little or downbranding to see if thats helps?[/QUOTE]

Hey. I certainly need help with work lunches and I think I'll join the challenge. My memories of packed lunches have always been soggy partially warm sandwiches from primary school and it's always put me off making sandwiches. If it was salads/pastas etc I'd be much better! But I'm very unimaginative when it comes to that sort of thing.

I'll take a good hard luck at my grocery shop (just to mention that figure does include all toiletries and cleaning products too). But again I'm a decent cook but very unimaginative and recipe books seem to take hours of prep which I just don't have time for!
  • MrsPorridge
    MrsPorridge Posts: 2,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Please do take a look (and encourage your wife to as well) at the Old Style Moneysaving board. There are loads of ideas on there for packed lunches and meal planning ideas. I always make my packed lunches after dinner whilst DH and I are washing up - I use leftovers which can be heated in the microwave as much as possible.
    Debt free and Keeping on Track
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport