Jury duty

Comments

• Les79
    Les79 Posts: 1,337 Forumite
    Dribiddi wrote: »
    I’m not asking for a morality lesson here just the facts

Why not?

If we teach you about morality, you will be able to use your newfound moral compass to solve similar problems in the future :)
  • Brynsam
    Brynsam Posts: 3,643
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Given your moral outlook (or lack of it) you clearly aren't fit to serve on a jury, so the question seems academic.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,031
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Ambassador
    Brynsam wrote: »
    Given your moral outlook (or lack of it) you clearly aren't fit to serve on a jury, so the question seems academic.

Actually I think you win the thread - your post is perfect.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • gazzak_2
    gazzak_2 Posts: 473
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I did jury service recently and my workplace were really good and helpful to me, saying just do your time and we'll see you in 2 weeks. Full pay, no issues.
    Talking to many of my fellow jurors it seems I was in the minority with many of them having huge issues with their employers.

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth is a phrase I'd use. Appreciate that you have a good HR, don't spoil that by trying to pull a fast one.
  • ReadingTim
    ReadingTim Posts: 3,970
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    If you're called for jury service you've got to go to the Court every day to see if you're needed - cases start and finish all the time and no-one knows how long they're going to last. If you're not called immediately, you usually have to hang around until after lunch (ie until the start of the afternoon session), whereupon you'll be dismissed until the following day. Repeat for a fortnight. But don't turn up to the court, and you're in a world of pain, as they'll have explained to you.

Therefore, while you can't skive off for whole days at a time, there will be plenty of hanging around and boredom, so no reason not to take your books and do some revision. Often, after a few days of the jurors' waiting room, it's a relief to get a case!
  • pimento
    pimento Posts: 6,239
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Veering slightly off topic, it's annoying that some people are continually called to serve on a jury and others never are.

I'm 57 and have never been called. I'd love to do it.
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." -- Red Adair
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,031
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Ambassador
    pimento wrote: »
    Veering slightly off topic, it's annoying that some people are continually called to serve on a jury and others never are.

I've been called 4 times and have done it twice , my husband has never been called at all. One of my sons has been called twice, neither of my other sons have been called at all.

It really is random.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • ReadingTim
    ReadingTim Posts: 3,970
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite

It's a mildly interesting process to have been a part of, but I'd have a slight concern about someone who was so itching to do it....

From my experience and comments from my parents, all of whom have done it in crown courts, it's a rather tedious and confusing affair. There's a lot of waiting around for something to happen, and when it does and you're in court hearing evidence it can be a disjointed process as prosecution and defence can call "objection" to things, but the full basis of that objection isn't explained to the jurors. You can then either be sent out, or told to disregard something you've just heard, but rarely, if ever, why. That can make for a rather fractured narrative, especially as both sides will go over the same thing from different perspectives, over and over again - so, the motifs of boredom and confusion appear again!

I'm sure your time will come - the only guarantee is that it will probably be at quite an inconvenient time...!
  • soolin wrote: »
    I've been called 4 times and have done it twice , my husband has never been called at all. One of my sons has been called twice, neither of my other sons have been called at all.

It really is random.

This came up at a family do a couple of years ago, neither me, my parents, grandparents, siblings, aunts, uncles or cousins (over 20 adults in total) have ever been called, Makes me wonder if the courts think our family are too dodgy to trust with jury duty :D
  • garth549
    garth549 Posts: 486
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite

I presume you're on the electoral register? Jurors are randomly selected from this.

A lot depends on where you live as well. I'm in Lancashire and a lot of people I know have been called up multiple times. There's quite a few crown courts around here (the biggest being Preston), and the 2 times I've served there there must have been 150+ other jurors each week.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure