Great 'kitchen/furniture insurance misselling?' Hunt

Options
2»

Comments

• mumofrachel
    Options
    We have recently ordered a bed from Furniture Village. We were offered the opportunity to purchase a mattress protector and the sales-lady duly demonstrated how water will not penetrate the fabric but will roll off.
    The price of this mattress protector was around £90-£100 and if ever we had an accidental spill, which did penetrate the cover or damage the fabric covering headboard, then they would send someone round to clean it.
    I was very concerned because at no time did she mention that she was selling an insurance policy. I don't think she liked it when I mentioned that I could just claim on my house insurance.
  • ormus
    ormus Posts: 42,714 Forumite
    Options
    my 75 yr old auntie was ripped off at Cousins in manchester with a "mattress protection system" for a 500 quid double bed.
    think it was 49 quid. for that you got a mattress protector blanket thingy, and a warranty for 3 or 5 yrs.
    they also charged her 49 quid delivery to her home. about a mile away.

at no time was an insurance/warranty scheme mentioned.

the mattress protector was virtually identical to one you can in any market for a tenner.

i made her take it back and get a refund.
    i hate these sort of companies with a passion.
    Get some gorm.
  • ScS_3
    Options
    If anyone is concerned about your policy purchased from ScS please contact our customer services team on 0845 604 6344 or alternatively e-mail [EMAIL="online@scs.co.uk"]online@scs.co.uk[/EMAIL]
  • mursheen
    Options
    I bought 2 leather 3 seater sofas from SCS and was persuaded to buy the insurance from them which was for damage/accidental damage the whole nine yards so i was told. It cost £40 per seat so was £240 in total.

Things were fine for near a year then the corner at the back of one sofa burst and a hole appeared. I called SCS who told me to call the insurance company i did only to be told it wasnt accidental damage as i didnt know how it happened. I was frankly gobsmacked and got annoyed so told them that was fine but i still wanted someone to come out because a sticker had been accidently stuck onto a seat on the sofa and when I peeled it off it took some of the leather with it. She told me that wasnt accidental either because I had lifted the sticker off and wouldnt accept the sticker got there accidently. Basically the wiggled and wriggled out of everything I said in order to not come out so I paid £240 for nothing at all.

So annoying. Wouldnt want to be CO of SCS after reading mine and others comments on here keep em coming folks xxx:beer:
  • Palm2010
    Options
    We were told by the SCS salesman that we would have to wait an extra 2 weeks for our order while scotch guard was applied to our new sofa.

The scotch guard turned out to be an insurance policy. When we complained to the 'Customer Help Line' they told us to contact he store. The store manager would'nt speak to us.

We will not be buying from SCS again!
  • phonoplug
    Options
    Seeing as someone apparently from SCS has given contact details in this forum, I have written an email to them. Be interested to see if I get a response. Will let you all know...
  • phonoplug
    phonoplug Posts: 23 Forumite
    Options
    phonoplug wrote: »
    Seeing as someone apparently from SCS has given contact details in this forum, I have written an email to them. Be interested to see if I get a response. Will let you all know...

What a surprise - no reply to my email. So to anyone reading the post apparently from SCS above - its an empty offer. A cheap attempt to make them look better in a bad situation, but with no intention to actually follow up on.

Don't think I'll be visiting SCS next time I change the settee...
  • bubblebum
    Options
    just having my own say here for what its worth, in dec 09 we bought 2x3 seaters from SCS same as many we were sold a cover for £240, the salesman from teams valley gateshead tyne and wear (been told he no longer works there) told us for our best interest is was strongly advised that we take the cover as we have kids and a dog and if any damage would occur then the repair bill would be twice as much as the cover price, he told us that even if the cushions lost their resilience or clicks occured we would be covered, he actually did a good job of putting the craps into us, so we bought the cover, a few weeks ago i went to sit back on my sofa and was hit in the back by something hard , it was actually the frame work, for months i have been telling the wife that the sofa's were becoming very uncomfortable and quite hard, i have arthritis and i bought these sofa's for a little comfort, man how wrong was i and how much of a liar was that salesman, we phoned GUARDSMAN (policy) otherwise known as VALSPAR & SAFE AND CLEAN, an engineer came out and checked the sofa's and told us his report would go in ASP we gave the the 10 days they asked for to make a decision, nothing, so we gave another 10 days and phoned them back up, they told us that someone would phone us back, guess what NOTHING, so we called again and this time they said it would be investigated, the following day we got a letter from GUARDSMAN saying they declined our claim, due to statements from the engineer and ourselves, by the way be careful as to what you say when phoning even if you sneeze they will write that down lol, anyhow went to SCS told them they falseley sold us a policy and all we got was this, leave it with us and we will get another GUARDSMAN out in 2 weeks time when he comes back from holiday, i again phoned this GUARDSMAN today 12/08/2011 and they sai we could appeal their decision but i could not put down the samer things ever again in future claims, so lets say if the arm snaps and they repair it and it happens again does that mean i can't claim, if you lot are feeling dizzy try being in our shoes lo0l, its like something out of a laurel & hardy movie, but with all joking to one side we were screwed by this SCS salesman and now are being screwed by this GUARDSMAN firm, we paid good money for a cover that is worth the price of a bog roll, there you go, if anyone has some legal knowledge then please advise me
  • bubblebum
    Options
    this number is a waste of time, as to my recent comment, i phoned them and they said what was my account number, LOL, is it me or does it say telephone this number if you have been sold a cover by SCS , when girl answers the phone she asks if you have a repair etc, then when you tell her she puts you intouch with the very store that sold you that sofa/cover etc, and then you get a negative response from the salesperson because you have complained about one of their team members, seriously guys dont waste your money phoning that number 0845 604 6344 as stated as you might as well go to the store instead, lol its cheaper on petrol than the telephone call as they will keep you on the blower for AGES!!!!!!!!!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure