PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

July 2018 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• savvyshe
    savvyshe Posts: 96 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    edited 26 June 2018 at 6:00AM
    Hi everyone not been here for such a long time. Could I please join this July challenge and go for £170 This is for 3 Adults and 1 teenager. Lots in freezer cupboard and fridge so should be manageable. Month runs from 22nd to 22nd so done my first big shop for £71.25. :j
    M&S 2,200.00
    Barclaycard £3840.00
  • HI, can i join please? :)

I have a family of 5 and spend way to much (£650) :O
    I'd like to aim for £350

Thanks
    Ruay
    x
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,083 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Please add me for £150 this month, thanks.
  • cuddlymarm
    cuddlymarm Posts: 1,890 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Hi
    Can I please join in this month.
    I’m aiming for £175 ( this includes stocking up my cupboards )
    Sorry I can’t do colours or larger size
    Thanks
    Good luck for July guys
    Cuddlymarm
    🎄December 🎄 NSDs 11/15
  • Mrs_Cheshire
    Mrs_Cheshire Posts: 1,185 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    I'm in for £370 for July 1st-31st.
    Going to try a offset the £30 overspend in June.

On a mission to use less prepacked snacks and treats this month, so going to do some research around larger pack sizes, to see if making my own pots of snacks is cheaper.
    I also plan on doing some more baking, to use up cupboard supplies and I'm going to limit myself to only shopping on 2 days a week. I've got some money off coupons for Mr S so plan on doing to top up shop there and the main shop at Ald!.
    I've already planned our main meals until 4th August based around what we have already in the freezer, and plan on defrosting it then once the majority of food has been eaten.

Does anyone have an ideas for summery puddings using tins of cherry's?
    Grocery Challenge 2020
    Jan £377.98/£380, Feb £417.83/£370 March /£400
  • Mrs_Cheshire
    Mrs_Cheshire Posts: 1,185 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    savvyshe wrote: »
    Hi everyone not been here for such a long time. Could I please join this July challenge and go for £170 This is for 3 Adults and 1 teenager. Lots in freezer cupboard and fridge so should be manageable. Month runs from 22nd to 22nd so done my first big shop for £71.25. :j

How do you get it so low? We're a family of 5, 2 adults and 3 kids and spend around £400. I'd love to see your meals and portion sizes as if we managed to save some money on groceries, we could afford a holiday.
    Grocery Challenge 2020
    Jan £377.98/£380, Feb £417.83/£370 March /£400
  • stoopy
    stoopy Posts: 55 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I would like to join this thread. I'm just giving my finances a massive overhaul as we are about to buy a house which every penny of our savings will go towards deposit and costs. Normally we use our savings as a buffer but we won't be able to from now on!

I have looked at the last 6 months grocery spending and we spend average £575 on groceries, this is for 2 adults, 2 children and a baby, 2 cats and includes all groceries, cleaning stuff, cat food, nappies, the odd tin of baby milk for childminder.

I am hoping to do a big slash initially but not sure what to aim for, what do similar sized families spend?

Hoping to get middle child out of night time pull-ups this summer so that will help too.
    Grocery Challenge Jul £380.75 Aug £637 Sep £539.82 Oct £53.43 / £475
    EF 3-6 challenge #104 £739.25/£10000
    MFW2018 #183 0/£2000
  • stoopy
    stoopy Posts: 55 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    When I was on maternity leave I had a 4 week rotating meal plan which was great as I HATE thinking what to cook. When I went back to work I took it up to computer room to change it based on the days the children were at the childminder, so hubby and I can have some more adventurous meals. 2 months later and I haven't done it! So my goal is to get that done this week so I can do shopping list for first week of July. Will have a look at some of the meal ideas as well.
    Grocery Challenge Jul £380.75 Aug £637 Sep £539.82 Oct £53.43 / £475
    EF 3-6 challenge #104 £739.25/£10000
    MFW2018 #183 0/£2000
  • Hi Everyone,

Would I be able to join too? I was having a good old lurk and tried by myself last month and it didn't go all that well so signed up for some accountability.

Can I say £200 for the month? That's for two adults and a rabbit (just hay and greens, I bulk buy his other stuff)

I don't struggle too much with the meals part but the BF is a pain for snacks/ad hoc lunches and oven pizzas so it can be a bit of a battle.
    CC1 £993.34 - £0.00
    CC2 £4,409.78 - £2,600.00
    OD £850 - £100
    Total Debt £6,253.12 Total Paid Off £3,553.12 Total Remaining £2,700.00
  • elsiepac
    elsiepac Posts: 2,553 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Hi all,

I was a bit absent in June so I do apologise! Also, I embarassingly lost track. I know I didn't go over by much, maybe £20 or so, but I got so busy during the last bit of the month and couldn't keep my spreadsheets up to date so got totally confused, and that's the result - my first month in YEARS where I don't know exactly what I spent :(

I'm estimating £190 out of £160 to be on the safe side.

Anyway, I'm back for July with a renewed focus! £200 26th June - 25th July for me please Coxy!
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Old Style, Crafting and Techie Stuff boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    GC: May 22 £tbc/£250 Vegan 27-8-13
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport