Question about paying a large amount into both a Help to Buy and a regular ISA

Options
Hi!

I apologise if this has been asked before, but I couldn't find an answer anywhere, which is why I joined this site! (I'm rather technophobic ...it has taken me the best part of an hour to work out how to even write this post! Also, I've never ever written on a forum before!)

I have a both a cash ISA (with Lloyds) and a help to buy ISA (with Nationwide). I had been transferring £200 p/m from one to the other (which I was told is ok to do as long as payments in didn't exceed £15k last tax year ...correct me if I'm wrong!), as I haven't been earning much but did have savings in the original cash ISA.

I'm going to be receiving some money soon, and would like to use my entire £20K allowance. I think there are 3 options here, and I don't know which is allowed:
A) I put it all in the regular ISA and continue doing what I was doing?
B) I put £1800 in the cash ISA and set up a standing order from my regular savings to the HTB for the rest of it?
C) I'm not allowed to pay into both, so I should just put 20K in the Lloyds, and forget about the help to buy ISA for the rest of this tax year?

[Also, I don't know if this bares any relevance, but I wasn't entirely sure I was entitled to the HTB in the first place -it was the advisor at Nationwide who assured me I was. I'm in a rather unique position where I have a shared-ownership property but I outright own my share and I've never had a mortgage. This was ok for Nationwide, but there's still a chance that I won't even qualify for HTB as far as the government's concerned by the time I want to buy a place.]

Thank you anybody for your help!

Comments

• bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    Options
    Heramia wrote: »
    [Also, I don't know if this bares any relevance, but I wasn't entirely sure I was entitled to the HTB in the first place -it was the advisor at Nationwide who assured me I was. I'm in a rather unique position where I have a shared-ownership property but I outright own my share and I've never had a mortgage.
    As you've owned an interest in a residential property (either now or at some point previously), you won't qualify to get a bonus on the HTB- which is only available to people who have never owned residential property anywhere in the world.

This doesn't practically speaking stop you opening the HTB ISA account initially or renewing it each year and contining to pay into it, especially if the bank clerk does not know their own documentation - because even if the bank employee did know the rules you could always lie when asked the question about whether you are an eligible customer having been provided with the definitions of eligible customer within the T&C or application form.

However, just because you've got away with it, doesn't mean you should continue to push your luck. One of the conditions to be an eligible customer is that you must never have been a 'Residential Property Owner'. If you read the definitions you can see that you are indeed a residential owner by their definition - you own an interest in a residential property that's either freehold or long leasehold.

This was ok for Nationwide, but there's still a chance that I won't even qualify for HTB as far as the government's concerned by the time I want to buy a place
    That's right, you don't qualify for using the HTB bonus on a HTB ISA account that pther 'Eligible Customers' would qualify for.

So, there's no lucrative bonus waiting for you at the end and therefore, no need to keep using the account and the restrictions on how much you can pay in per month. Other than the fact that the interest rate might be reasonable and that the bank and HMRC might not pick up on the fact that you've misrepresented yourself as qualifying to use the account when you actually don't. In practice the worst they will do is close your account to stop you using it - they're not going to throw you in jail. But it would be sensible not to mislead your bank and continue to subscribe to the account if you don't actually qualify to use it and you are going to want them to trust you on something else later in the customer relationship.
  • Alexland
    Alexland Posts: 9,653 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    bh99 is correct you do not qualify to hold the account let alone claim a government bonus.
  • Heramia
    Heramia Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    Hi!

Thank you so much for your replies, that was so fast! What's funny is that I nearly took that last bit out because I thought the post was too long, and I didn't think it was relevant! I think I'll have to set up another meeting with Nationwide. I originally met the advisor to get advice on what account would be best for me to save for a mortgage, and he told me this was the best fit. When I told him that I didn't think I qualified for it, he brought his manager in and they said that I did qualify as a first time buyer as far as they're concerned, as it would be my first mortgage.
    Whilst I recently (and by recently I mean yesterday!) found out that I might not qualify for the 25% government bonus, I did not think that there would be a problem with my having the account by Nationwide's standards -I just assumed that banks had their own rules when it comes to who is allowed what, and thought I'd keep the account going anyway because the interest is better than other ISAs!
    I know that understanding small print is important, but part of the point of meeting with an advisor rather than just setting up an account online is that they're supposed to explain everything to you, no?! I know legally I may have been misrepresenting myself to them, but I feel that they have misrepresented the account to me!

Both times has been money that I have inherited but was not expecting, and I really want to do the best with it that I can. I've never really had this kind of money before, and I get so confused about everything! Does anyone think that it's worth meeting an independent financial advisor to work this all out? I'm worried that meeting someone at the bank they'll just try and sell me something again and I'll believe them!
  • AirlieBird
    AirlieBird Posts: 1,046 Forumite
    Options
    While this is a moot point given that I agree with others that you aren't eligible for a HTB ISA bonus, there is another option. You could have moved the Lloyds ISA to Nationwide where you would be able to put money in both that ISA and the HTB ISA. This is because Nationwide treat all their cash ISAs as a single cash ISA for reporting purposes. There are very few other banks that do this.

In fact, Lloyds cash ISA rates are so very poor you should probably look at transferring it anyway. If the HTB ISA is no longer relevant then there are better options than either Lloyds or Nationwide for your standard cash ISA. Remember to use the ISA transfer process by asking the new bank to transfer it for you.
    Did you really mean to put loose?
    Lose: no longer possess, not to retain, unable to find
    Loose: not firmly or tightly fixed in place
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,034 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Heramia wrote: »
    Both times has been money that I have inherited but was not expecting, and I really want to do the best with it that I can. I've never really had this kind of money before, and I get so confused about everything! Does anyone think that it's worth meeting an independent financial advisor to work this all out? I'm worried that meeting someone at the bank they'll just try and sell me something again and I'll believe them!
    You're right to be sceptical about bank staff, who you should expect to promote their own employer's products, but that doesn't necessarily put you into IFA territory either unless it's a sizable sum.

I'd start by researching on here - there are a couple of decent introductory pieces at:
    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savings/which-saving-account and
    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savings/savings-accounts-best-interest
    and plenty of 'what should I do with £20/50/100K?' threads on the main savings board.

Personally I wouldn't see cash ISAs as being particularly tempting and suspect that you'll do better with some regular saver accounts and other taxable accounts, even if the interest eventually takes you over the personal savings allowance....
  • Heramia
    Options
    Alexland wrote: »

Alex
    Thanks, Alex! I found that yesterday after reading the comments! Do you perchance know if I have to actually meet Nationwide and explain what happened before closing the account or should I just take out all the money and close it? No worries if not!
  • Heramia
    Options
    AirlieBird wrote: »
    While this is a moot point given that I agree with others that you aren't eligible for a HTB ISA bonus, there is another option. You could have moved the Lloyds ISA to Nationwide where you would be able to put money in both that ISA and the HTB ISA. This is because Nationwide treat all their cash ISAs as a single cash ISA for reporting purposes. There are very few other banks that do this.

In fact, Lloyds cash ISA rates are so very poor you should probably look at transferring it anyway. If the HTB ISA is no longer relevant then there are better options than either Lloyds or Nationwide for your standard cash ISA. Remember to use the ISA transfer process by asking the new bank to transfer it for you.

Thanks, Airlie. I think I'm going to look around ...the only reason I had Lloyds to start with is because my current account is with them and I found it easy to manage and it wasn't loads.
  • Heramia
    Options
    eskbanker wrote: »
    You're right to be sceptical about bank staff, who you should expect to promote their own employer's products, but that doesn't necessarily put you into IFA territory either unless it's a sizable sum.

I'd start by researching on here - there are a couple of decent introductory pieces at:
    and plenty of 'what should I do with £20/50/100K?' threads on

Personally I wouldn't see cash ISAs as being particularly tempting and suspect that you'll do better with some regular saver accounts and other taxable accounts, even if the interest eventually takes you over the personal savings allowance....

Thank you, Mr Banker! I definitely want to have a good read, but you've saved me a lot of time by linking these! I'm new to using forums and I get very lost looking around for the most relevant ones ...however many tutorials I watch or what have you, I always end up reading completely irrelevant stuff that doesn't apply to me!
  • Heramia
    Options
    Thank you everybody for your replies, it's been really helpful, and extremely valuable! I was going to hold off staircasing (buying more shares in my shared ownership property), which was my original plan when I went into the bank to find a savings account for myself. I've been a student for the last 4 years, and it seemed logical to put the cash into a shared ownership until I have a job and can actually get a decent mortgage to either buy up the rest or buy somewhere else. When I got this account I decided not to staircase and just wait a little while to buy somewhere cheaper so I didn't use up my first time buyer stuff, but if I'm not even allowed that anyway I think I may as well go for it!

Also, final question: my boyfriend technically owns the place with me, but we have a deed of trust where he has 0% (I know that seems a bit mean but we hadn't been together long when we got it, and the money was gifted to me by my mother after my father passed, so this felt sensible!). Does anybody know if he has now forfeited his right to any first time buyer benefits? Or can link me somewhere where somebody does?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure