Had NHS Interview - unsuccessful Is it really that hard to get in the NHS + find work

I finally had my first interview in a while going for a post at the major hospital in our region. Granted I was nervous, and have a cold so I sounded rather croaky, I didn't get the job. I know I stuffed up a bit on the first question, but felt I built momentum and turned it around at the end.

They went for someone who had NHS experience. I felt a bit cheated, as it seemed the interview was like a glorified internal selection. Why advertise to the public if you're not going to train someone up who wants a chance?

I'm just getting nowhere with finding work. I'm sick of being in the temp trap, I'm sick of going for temp positions that get filled quicker than I can run for the bus and with this Brexit crap going on it's going to be hard. I want to move near my Mum, but can't afford it unless I don't eat and pay bills for a month or two, as it's not a nice area where I am and the flat is too cold in winter.

I don't really want some job in a business that could potentially go under due to us leaving the EU. I know the NHS is tough to get into (and under-threat from the powers that be), but I just want a new challenge.

Is it really that hard? What do you suggest?

Comments

• Dizzy_Ditzy
    Dizzy_Ditzy Posts: 17,462 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Getting into the NHS if you're not already in it is getting more and more difficult. It's got nothing to do with whether we are in the EU or not and everything to do with money being non-existent :(

They have to advertise the vacancies but very often it's merely a formality

Try and get on the clerical bank at the hospital. That will get your foot in the door and give you some experience

Don't give up. Just try and get in via a different route :)
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Health & Beauty, Greenfingered Moneysaving and How Much Have You Saved boards. If you need any help on these boards, please do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert
  • Well people should have not fallen for soundbites in biased newspapers and voted for parties who want to save the NHS. It riles me, that we've a government who can find money to go to war but not the NHS.

The EU thing is just about other business aka private sector and the knock on effect to them.

How realiable is the clerical bank?
  • Sncjw
    Sncjw Posts: 3,508 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I had 3 interviews for NHS for different admin roles until I got this one. It's your first one don't let it get you down. You will know what it is like for next time
    Mortgage free wannabe 

Actual mortgage stating amount £75,150

Overpayment start date 1/3/23.

Starting balance £66,565.45

Current balance £63,787.16

• Sncjw
    Sncjw Posts: 3,508 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I didn't have admin experience but I did put on my application that although I do not have the experience in this field I am willing to undertake training. By training me you will someone trained to your busines needs.

You could bring in experience and skills from other places you have been that are transferable
    Mortgage free wannabe 

Actual mortgage stating amount £75,150

Overpayment start date 1/3/23.

Starting balance £66,565.45

Current balance £63,787.16

• That people lower their sights if not getting into such public service places. Why not look at thriving industries in the private sector?
    It will always be better to try out with a company that goes belly up than do nothing.

With time on my hands inbetween 'bettering' jobs, I registered a CV on reed very recently on their immediately available section and 4 days later, I was approached by an agency offering warehouse work, admittedly in another town at £7.66 per hour.

Of course I reservedly apologise if you have been temping up to now, rather then unemployed and selective. My advise remains the same as last time I posted to you except to say that basic job I had at the time was improved on and no bar to what I've signed up to do next. :)
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Bank work in the NHS is very reliable

More skills you have, the more offers of work you get

I worked for the NHS for 13 years as a HCO, then got sick so left, but returned on the bank. 6 months later I was asked back to my old post 2 grades higher. However I preferred the bank hours at that time

I could be doing anything in any week, switchboard, A/E reception, bed manager, admissions , ward clerk. Loved the variety
  • Bank work is always a good start...

Not sure where you are but London always has loads of NHS admin and secretarial jobs going, I was told they can never find medical secretaries and are desperate for them by one HR officer.

Of course, even with London weighing added on (£4000 ish), the pay isn't that great for London living.

Personally, I've always found bank work is plentiful and there are always jobs going.
  • I work in the NHS and recruit, I can tell you the reason why, competition, unless you have specific professional skills (such as health professionals/doctor etc) then you are up against hundreds, every time we advertise for any grade of band 3 or less we are inundated with applications and frequently have to cap them (I have known over 300 applicants for a band 2 position, we learned after that escapade), the other day we interviewed for a band 3 and shortlisted 22 interviewees from 150 applicants for this one job, 2 and a half days of interviews.

People with generic skills (and no professional qualifications that are a key requirement of the job) inundate applications for nhs job roles of the lower bands and unfortunately are up against a lot of competition, all I can advise is that you either train for a professional qualification if its the NHS you want to work for for an easier way in, or get on the bank first to get some experince in the NHS, their ways of working are very different to industry (restrictive, bureaucratic etc)
    Aug GC £63.23/£200, Total Savings £0
  • I work in the NHS and recruit, I can tell you the reason why, competition, unless you have specific professional skills (such as health professionals/doctor etc) then you are up against hundreds, every time we advertise for any grade of band 3 or less we are inundated with applications and frequently have to cap them (I have known over 300 applicants for a band 2 position, we learned after that escapade), the other day we interviewed for a band 3 and shortlisted 22 interviewees from 150 applicants for this one job, 2 and a half days of interviews.

People with generic skills (and no professional qualifications that are a key requirement of the job) inundate applications for nhs job roles of the lower bands and unfortunately are up against a lot of competition, all I can advise is that you either train for a professional qualification if its the NHS you want to work for for an easier way in, or get on the bank first to get some experince in the NHS, their ways of working are very different to industry (restrictive, bureaucratic etc)

One way for the NHS to save money would be for you not to shortlist 22 applicants and spend 2 and a half days interviewing them. What an absolute waste of money that could be better spent elsewhere. Shortlist the best 5 and cut the number of recruiters by 25%. If you can't get a suitable candidate that way, you're not good enough at your job.
  • dlmcr
    dlmcr Posts: 182 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    One way for the NHS to save money would be for you not to shortlist 22 applicants and spend 2 and a half days interviewing them. What an absolute waste of money that could be better spent elsewhere. Shortlist the best 5 and cut the number of recruiters by 25%. If you can't get a suitable candidate that way, you're not good enough at your job.

Very good point. I've worked at the NHS as a back office contractor on 3 occassions over the last 10 years. The amount of bureaucracy and waste is shocking. I personally would never apply to work in a permant role in the NHS, it is such a sad and demoralising place to work.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure