Couch to 5K support thread.

Comments

• Haha, yeah- really pleased to have got to that point, but I have to say- if I can do it, all of you lot can. I was shockingly bad when I started.

I'm going to give week 7, run 1 an attempt on Weds night and then probably Friday and Sunday, but fear that I might need more than a week to get through this one!

@WantobeSE farting is always a danger and yoga classes near me are criminally expensive (think £25 and up!) so finding the youtube channel was a godsend; I only do it in the privacy of my own bedroom now. If you're interested, here's the link
    https://www.youtube.com/user/yogawithadriene

I've decided I need to do what they call 'strength training' and was wondering if anyone had given the 7 minute Davina work-outs a go? Don't have oodles of time, so need something that doesn't take up too much time.
    May'18 DEBT FREE!

£6025 PB's: £1427 Nutmeg Pot: £51'174 Company Shares £512.09 InvestEngine £8.21 Freetrade £569.46 Stake
    £2457.92 TCB.
  • WantToBeSE
    WantToBeSE Posts: 7,729
    I've been Money Tipped! Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    Haha, yeah- really pleased to have got to that point, but I have to say- if I can do it, all of you lot can. I was shockingly bad when I started.

I'm going to give week 7, run 1 an attempt on Weds night and then probably Friday and Sunday, but fear that I might need more than a week to get through this one!

@WantobeSE farting is always a danger and yoga classes near me are criminally expensive (think £25 and up!) so finding the youtube channel was a godsend; I only do it in the privacy of my own bedroom now. If you're interested, here's the link
    https://www.youtube.com/user/yogawithadriene

I've decided I need to do what they call 'strength training' and was wondering if anyone had given the 7 minute Davina work-outs a go? Don't have oodles of time, so need something that doesn't take up too much time.

Thanks Fletch, I'll start trying the yoga in that link for a few times a week :) At least if i fart, its in the comfort of my own home :rotfl:

I havent tried the Davina 7 min work outs, good luck if you start them.
    I am also thinking about trying to increase muscle mass in my arms. Youtube videos are the way to go i think, free and easy to start.
  • Session 2 of week 1 completed this afternoon. It was really windy, so for half the time I was battling a headwind as well as what passes for my "physique" :rotfl: .

Roll on Thursday :j .

WR
  • Thanks! I ended up doing D1 W7 today instead. TBH I'm not running the whole 25mins, kept pausing and slowing down. Did 3.5k all in so hoping to pick up speed the next couple of weeks. Good luck this week everyone.

£25 for one class of yoga? Mine is included in my gym membership but if not it would be £4 I think. Quite reasonable and the instructor is great. Haven't farted yet I don't think lol.
  • clairec79
    clairec79 Posts: 2,512 Forumite
    Week 5 day 1 complete

And I managed to run without stopping up a hill (admittedly very slowly but still it wasn't a walk) on the last one at the 4 minute mark - which the person running in front of me walked up - of course he could have been doing this too but as he stopped running and switched to walking as soon as the incline hit and started again as soon as he got to the flat I doubt it)
  • week three run two done :)

We done to everyone who ran today.

two firsts for me one I ran in the evening and two I ran in the rain (well light drizzle) running in the drizzle was nice but not so keen on the dark. I found it hard and am so grateful to those who post who are doing the later weeks so I know its possible. I left my son with my dad and when I collected him in my gear he asked where I had been once I said I had been for a walk he wanted to go so we ended up walking another mile together so I had a decent cool down.
  • Dan83
    Dan83 Posts: 671
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Hi everyone.

I was abit supprised to see a thread about this.

I seen a good review for this podcast earlier in the year and wanted to give it ago.

As usual, life got in the way, so I never got round to having ago. My goal next year tho is to do at least one 5k park run.

I've only read the 1st page so far and was supprised when I noticed there was 14 pages. Just goes to show how much support is out there!

Well done to everyone who is currently doing it, well done to everyone who has done it and well done to everyone else weather you run or not, but is here to give support.

I'll slowly read the full thread.
  • Sharon87
    Sharon87 Posts: 4,011
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Hi Sharon

Welcome, What is HIIT?

I just decided a date I was going to start and went for it. I started at week 1 as I want to do this slowly if I go in too fast It will be too hard and I would just give up, so far plan seems to be working.

It's High Intensity Interval Training. You run as fast as you can for between 30 seconds and a minute (depending on which plan you follow) and then walk for 1-2 minutes, then repeat. They've done studies and some of them I've heard about show it to burn fat more effectively, so better for weight loss. It's better to do it not on a treadmill as then you can go as fast as you can without pressing buttons!

I came down with a cold after my first visit to the gym, so there's a bump in the road already! If only the parks nearby were open after dark I could have run in the dark (so no one sees me) and used an app on my phone.
  • I did Wk 3 run 3 tonight - it was hard! I wasn't feeling like it at all. Will definitely be doing a few more week 3 runs before heading to week 4 :o

To be honest I think my first wk3 was the best - you're supposed to get better, not worse, right??

Still, I did it, even though it was hellish. Good luck to everyone else running!
    Mortgage - £[STRIKE]68,000 may 2014[/STRIKE] 45,680.
  • Wow, you guys are going great guns. Congrats Elfbert, Iammuntoone, ClaireC, Sweetilemon, Wild Rover and WTBSE!

The biggest jump for me so far was wk 5, day 3 so good luck to everyone getting near that, feels amazing once you get over that hump!

On to Week 7 tonight. Looks like it's going to be a late one so may well be my first proper night-time run. Weather is good though, so hope I can make it to the 25 min mark!
    May'18 DEBT FREE!

£6025 PB's: £1427 Nutmeg Pot: £51'174 Company Shares £512.09 InvestEngine £8.21 Freetrade £569.46 Stake
    £2457.92 TCB.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport