Report Bank Charges successes and failures

Comments

• The banks are not obliged to pay out for any reason if they don't want to - unless they have made an error.

Send your letter and £10 cheque to:
    Barclays Bank
    Barclays Data Protection
    Radbroke Hall
    Knutsford
    Cheshire
    WA16 9EU
    (better to have everything in writing for your records)

Follow all the advice from MSE site and use the template letter on there for requesting all your data (don't ask specifically for statements as such, more costly!)

Checkout the Financial Ombudsman Services criteria for claiming charges under hardship and see if you might qualify.

i phoned barclays for a list of bank charges and the man said fine three days later i received it. but reading about it is it worth it if they don't have to pay out.
  • Hi

Well I have a success story, I wrote to Santander regarding my House of Fraser account.. this had been in collections for some period of time. However, I knew that I had been receiving a stupid amount of charges etc.

I wrote one letter requesting that all of these charges be reimbursed, due to financial hardship. I opened the account when I was at uni, and since then I had a clash of charges from both Halifax and House of Fraser.

Anyway, I got a letter this morning showing a list of all charges dating back to 2006. These amounted to £470. As a good will gesture, they added 8% interest to these charges and REFUNDED the lot!!

This amounts to £533.18... This was added to my account, creating a zero balance. Aswell as sendign me the remainer in a cheque, amounting to £178.

I am thrilled with this, as I can now close this ridiculous account and have some 'compensation' to boot..

Keep trying guys, it does work!!
  • Hi could i have the santander address to claim all my transactions please
    cheers clair
  • Good Afternoon all
    I'm just popping in to tell you about my success
    wrote to LLoyds TSB about my unfair charges due to being on JSA and still being charged, i sent my first letter in October 2011 and recieve a letter back offering me £100 which i took :) they also said they would waiver £100 which sounded good to me, so i then proceeded to write to the Financial Ombudsman on 31st October 2011
    They kept in contact with me regularly until this morning i opened a letter from them with an offer from Lloyds for £741 :j i was well happy, they said that it'd be paid into the account to pay the overdraft get that cancelled and the remaining amount becomes available to me, i was happy until i realised i'd moved house and lost all my cards :( but i emailed the FOS lady and she said she had spoken to the bank who are willing to pay off the overdraft and send the remainder by cheque :rotfl:

So in summary

Been Charged £1386.18
    Offer accepted £741
    am happy with that as that gives me at least £500 after paying off overdraft.:T:T:T

GOODBYE LLOYDS
  • I kept getting calls from a PPI company to claim PPI for my husband on Loans and credit card but I thought not giving them the money so I downloaded the claim form for PPI in November and he has just recieved a total of £4374,61
    I couldnt believe it we didnt even have any agreements for the loan which must have been about 7 or 8 years ago:beer::j:j:beer:
  • katyandmel wrote: »
    Hello,

Just wanting a little bit of advice on whether to proceed or take an offer from my bank - Barclays.

Last year my mum passed away and due to stress and unexpected money commitments I found myself in my unplanned overdraft - starting May 2011.

Up until this month I was still in this and finding myself being charge £100 per month for the privilege of this in which I did not request.

Having read Martins advise on Financial hardship claims etc. (which Barclays have certainly contributed to in charging me) I wrote to Barclays explaining my situation.

On Friday night I received a phone call from Barclays offering me £100 compensation. I refused this on the phone - I didn't appreciate the guys pushy manner and saying if I didn't take it there and then they wouldn't offer it again.

Then yesterday I receive a letter from them saying this offer is open for 8 weeks for me to take the £100.

I don't want to take this at the risk of grabbing the first amount offered, but then I also don't want to turn this down and then come away with nothing.

I believe over the last year I've been charged £1000 so I really was hoping for more then just £100.

Any thoughts/suggestions on where I should go from here? Is my case worth pursuing or should I take the £100?

Much appreciated
    katy

Hi Katy

With the offer of £100 you get £100. I am assuming that as you say 'up until this month I was still in this' you have now cleared your o'draft therefore you are not in financial hardship. If this is the case a claim of all your charges may not be upheld even by the ombudsman.

If it were me, I would consider very carefully the basis on which to claim back my charges. Whilst I, personally, am very sorry to hear of your sad loss, the bank obviously have not attributed going overdrawn due to the related stress as a good enough reason to consider refunding more than their current offer. I don't know what your other unexpected financial commitments were that you state also contributed to the difficulties but usually, in terms of the hardship criteria, it's usually things like job loss, inability to pay for basic living needs, food and bills etc.

Check out the FOS hardship criteria on MSE site and decide if you feel your case is strong enough for a claim and if it would be worth doing and possibly losing your £100 offer.

If you accept their offer and then claim, the Ombudsman (should it go that far) might feel that the bank had been fair in their offer which you had accepted.

Another option of course is to write back to the bank and ask them if they would possibly raise the amount of their offer as, under your circumstances at the time, you don't feel that it reflect fairly on the financial difficulties you were experiencing. Don't at this stage though refuse their offer of £100.

Personally, given the information that I am aware of, I would accept the £100, put it all behind you and get on with your future. Good luck in your choice
  • I have been with the same bank Clydesdale Bank for over 10 years i contacted them in 2009 with bank charges totaling £1800 i got a phone call back today 24/02/2012 shocking amount of time to wait saying that my case is no longer able as we lost in court i have since been on the phone to the ombudsman and they tell me i have a case so i have fingers crossed i will get something back...
    I did try claiming hardship i lost my job and i am a single mother of 2 young children but claimed this was not hardship ... Will keep you updated
  • Halifax credit card
    AmountReclaimed ( well - I've been offered £1931)

Story...
    I saw all the ads on TV ( even read the emails from MSE here?) and never thought it applied to me!!! ha! little did I know.. thereI was doing my accounts and I noticed the CC protection insurance!!!!... I'd had this card for 6 years!!!.. why didn't I see it before...???

well guess what? I just followed the advice on this forum and on 26th January 2012 I called the halifax PPI telephone line, and got a very pleasant chap from India.. ( i work in a call centre for another bank so I will not have anything said against fellow reps!!!... wherever in the world they come from)

he registered everything and said I'd get an acknowledgement after 5 days... and in 5 days i got the letter....

I settled back for my long wait... ( like others on the forum)... and today! I got my settlement letter.... £1931 will be credited to my account... OMG! that was quick!...less than a month!
    very impressed thanks MSE and for all of your posts... I never realised!......:j

now... #thinks# ...hmmm ...that mortgage I took out in 1991... hmmmmmm... I paid protection on that... does that count too?......# randam goes off to call the bank again#:cool:
  • mrsIAm
    mrsIAm Posts: 12 Forumite
    Has anyone successfully claimed their bank charges from HSBC? Ive just got all the paper work from them today but dont know if its worth depressing myself going through it to be rejected.

Thank You
  • I helped both my mum and dad fill in the ppi questionnaire, primarily because my mother has registered disabled and definitely would not have been eligible to claim ppi. She received a thousands back. As for my dad we simply filled in the form on a whim not too sure if he would get anything back. Simpy editing the same form as my mum to suit his circumstances the bank paid him back over £20k. We are totally shocked and want to say thanks for your help. We have been making sure that our friends know about your website.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback