PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Seller pulled out...now wants back in

Options
13»

Comments

• Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 18 July 2018 at 1:44PM
    Options
    thelem wrote: »
    Forget about how you got here. You've now got to make a decision between two houses.

If you choose House A you can exchange almost immediately and start getting ready to move. The chance of someone pulling out of that sale is low.

If you choose House B you will not exchange for a few months. That sale may not complete for many reasons, e.g. not having your offer accepted, something comes up in the survey. The rest of your chain may drop out, so you may need to find a new buyer. You may be liable for estate agent and solicitor fees, depending on your contracts.

If House B is the right house then it is worth all that hassle, but I'd think very carefully before pulling out of the purchase of House A.

The likelihood is you are right, thelem, but you cannot know this beyond all doubt. If it feels like the right house to Tink_x and fiance, it probably is. Unfortunately, the only way to know is to live in it. What a pity there is no cooling off period for house purchases. :D
  • Tink_x
    Tink_x Posts: 42 Forumite
    Options
    Just an update for anyone who was following this post. We did view the second house again but still loved the first one. So I immediately rang the estate agent in the morning saying we still wanted to continue with house one. He was glad to hear this of course and said great the chain is all still in tact.
    Turns out - it wasn’t.
    The house Mr X (my seller) was buying to move into had found themselves another buyer - a cash buyer apparently. So this last week hasn’t been stressful, on off on off. I’ve gotteb whip lash! Mr X upped his offer to try and secure the house back but the vendor has said he does not wish to sell to mr x anymore because of all the hassle - I don’t blame him, he was trying to make sure his own house didn’t fall through and found someone else as soon as mr x initially pulled out.
    So basically the only person mr X has screwed over is me and my fianc!. Rest of chain is in tact, mr x still has a house and me and fianc! are back to square one, with money lost.
    We are going to give mr x a chance to find a new property to buy, as we do really want the house. But obviously we can’t wait around forever, so just need to see what happens over the next few weeks. But what an absolute bloody mess. All because he had a wobble on a Friday and then dragged it out 5 days. Idiot. I’m fuming
  • hb2
    hb2 Posts: 1,398 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    What an absolute PITA for you! I really hope that things work out for the best.
    It's not difficult!
    'Wander' - to walk or move in a leisurely manner.
    'Wonder' - to feel curious.
  • csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    I would look at House 2 or wait for a better or similar house as the vendor is unreliable. They get what they deserve
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • kates08
    kates08 Posts: 94 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    We had a very similar situation. Our seller was having doubts about the flat she was downsizing to and pulled out on us. We weren't as close to exchange as you but had had our survey done and paid a mortgage booking fee.

We viewed and offered on another house quickly as we didn't want to lose our buyer, the difference for us was that we didn't like the 2nd house anywhere near as much. 2nd sellers rejected our first offer and we were trying to decide whether to up it or take some time to think about what to do when the first seller changed her mind again. We had a really hard time deciding what to do but went with the first house we loved. It took another 3 months to complete after that and I didn't relax at all until the contracts were exchanged.
    I think you need to weigh up the thought of going through the whole process again (waiting for a complete chain, spending on surveys etc.) against how much you prefer the new house.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure