Which ISP?

Comments

• AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    install a speed test app on your phone. e.g okla.

When you are having problems, (evening?) take the phone to the room with the router and run a test and what speed you get.

Could be VM problem at peak time
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    boatman wrote: »
    Openreach provide broadband, the ISP do the billing, it's anyone's guess who is the best in your location. As has been said, BT have the best router followed by Sky/NowTV(appears to be the same router) probably.

The original NOWTV Hub 1 router is a re-badged Sky SR102

The Hub 2 is I believe a re-badged Sky Q Hub which is what I received. Decent WiFi for sure, definitely better than the pre-Q router (SR102) that it replaced in March.
  • ValiantSon
    ValiantSon Posts: 2,586 Forumite
    I don't agree with the statement "they just provide internet its down to you to make it better"

Okay, don't agree with it then. You'll be completely wrong, but that is your right.
    that's the equivalent of saying Essex and Suffolk provide water riddled with urine and feces so it's down to me to have a filtration plant in my back garden to make it better :think:

No, it isn't even close to being equivalent. Your analogy is completely ridiculous.
    I am not looking for guaranteed faster speeds, more the likelihood of better quality signal. Don't see how an ISP can use the excuse ah well you get 1mb/s so thats "internet access" be happy...

You are paying for broadband, and they may well guarantee a speed over an ethernet connection because they actually have some control over it. They do not have control over your Wifi signal. There are all sorts of things that can cause problems with Wifi, including interference from other devices, the construction of your property and the quality of the wifi adapter in the device being used. It is completely reasonable for the supplier to wash their hands of this issue, as long as the router they supplied you with does actually offer a wifi connection (which it does), as this is what they promised you.
    All ISPs use different routers, just want to know what's the most stable...

You've already been given the best solution: buy your own router! This is especially the case given that you don't like the look of FTTC speeds on Openreach.
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,154 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 20 July 2018 at 9:36PM
    All other providers speeds are considerably lower...

This is arguably Virgin's "thing", though - charging people a lot for very high speeds that they do not need. Basic TV and a handful of browsing connections is maybe 20Mbps' worth of bandwidth. In fact, if it is only SD video, then you'd probably get away with as little as half that.

Not only that, but in the context of the discussion about Wifi, it's worth bearing in mind that if your Wifi is poor then you will not see the benefit of high BB speeds at all (or you may lose the benefits at times of poor Wifi performance).

I'd suggest using a BB search engine like USwitch or MSE's own:-

https://broadband.moneysavingexpert.com/

Plug your details in there, and see what deals are available for either ADSL or 38Mbps Fibre. Also check what speeds you are likely to receive for either of those services at your router. You can then examine what TV services are available, either bundled or to buy separately.

If you settle for one of the streaming TV services, Now TV, Netflix or Amazon, you should be able to get that and 38Mbps Fibre BB for less than £30pm, maybe less with cashback deals. So just over half what you are paying now.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Cornucopia wrote: »
    This is arguably Virgin's "thing", though - charging people a lot for very high speeds that they do not need. Basic TV and a handful of browsing connections is maybe 20Mbps' worth of bandwidth. In fact, if it is only SD video, then you'd probably get away with as little as half that.

Very, very true that. People get hooked up on the headline speed without considering whether they actually get any benefit out of it.
  • well some of you think they cant control it but I called Virgin and got through to someone really helpful, not only did they help with my router settings they're sending out a 15m Ethernet cable and booked me in for a technician to see if it can be repositioned. Of course though as mentioned before ISP's can't control this yet they're doing this for me? I quote the operator ..."there's no ways you should be getting so little, it's nowhere near what is being picked up. Let me see what we can do to get it changed for you"...

So all this crack about they're not responsible is just the remnants of people being palmed of by other rubbish ISP's or you not being determined enough.
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,154 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    well some of you think they cant control it but I called Virgin and got through to someone really helpful, not only did they help with my router settings they're sending out a 15m Ethernet cable and booked me in for a technician to see if it can be repositioned. Of course though as mentioned before ISP's can't control this yet they're doing this for me? I quote the operator ..."there's no ways you should be getting so little, it's nowhere near what is being picked up. Let me see what we can do to get it changed for you"...

So all this crack about they're not responsible is just the remnants of people being palmed of by other rubbish ISP's or you not being determined enough.

Not sure what you mean by "control". Clearly, and in your own words, they are having to come to your premises to investigate your Wifi problems, and are not using a remote access method to "control" it. Their immediate solution is to offer you connection via Ethernet cable (which is what some posters had already suggested). This isn't "controlling" your Wifi, either.

I'm glad they are going to try to address the problem, and yes, perhaps they are better than some other providers in being willing to do that. However, they are at the more expensive end of the market, so I'd hope that they would offer good service.

Or in other words, and as previously mentioned by posters, you have two issues here: 1) poor Wifi and 2) whether you are getting good value for money with your BB/TV service.
  • ValiantSon
    ValiantSon Posts: 2,586 Forumite
    well some of you think they cant control it but I called Virgin and got through to someone really helpful, not only did they help with my router settings they're sending out a 15m Ethernet cable and booked me in for a technician to see if it can be repositioned. Of course though as mentioned before ISP's can't control this yet they're doing this for me? I quote the operator ..."there's no ways you should be getting so little, it's nowhere near what is being picked up. Let me see what we can do to get it changed for you"...

No, you continue to be wrong. The ISP is not responsible, and they cannot control your WiFi signal. Virgin have tried to help because they consider this to be good customer service, but they do not have any obligation to do so, nor can they magic a resolution. The fact that they are sending you a 15m ethernet cable is evidence of the fact that they can't control your WiFi!
  • Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    This thread amused me. Thanks for that.

Yes the ISP is only responsible for wired speeds. Of course some of them provide better "free" wifi routers than others. However none care about helping you with wifi (as they should not).

To be honest with free routers you are picking from a pile of shise. Do youself a favour and get a decent wifi solution of your own if you care for it. This may involve multiple devices depending on your house.
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker

It could possibly be a Virgin employee doing above and beyond for you!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure