I need to clear £15k in debt while building an online business!

nomadfreedom
nomadfreedom Posts: 14 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post
edited 4 July 2018 at 9:52PM in Debt-free wannabe
Hey, I'm 32 and have around £15k of debt that I need to clear, while building an online business.

BACKGROUND
I had a well-paid corporate sales job in the tech sector, with a 'perfect' 999 credit rating, nice BMW, and a mortgage on a city-centre apartment by aged 28.

However, I was deeply depressed at my lifestyle - knowing all I wanted was to be surfing/snowboarding.

I became deeply depressed and sank from being athletic, to 30kg overweight, borderline alcoholic, addicted to online shopping - and I went on so many holidays to places I ACTUALLY wanted to be in, that I started building credit card debt.

I quit my job aged 30, rented my apartment out and took a year out in Australia.

I took a month off and started interviewing for six-figure sales jobs, but felt physically ill at the idea of being in an office again, so decided to join the 'digital nomad' scene and learn how to make money in digital marketing, from a laptop.

I quickly started losing weight, surfing every day and felt great. But with the combination of Sydney's insane property prices and being a beginner at digital marketing, I couldn't keep up credit card repayments.

And it was easy to forget about them, being on the other side of the world.

I've now relocated to Bali, which is fantastic.

It's cheaper than the UK and full of the sports and activities I enjoy. I now lead a very frugal life and am happy, fit and healthy, owning minimal clothing and eating very cheaply - weighing 30kg less than I did in my corporate job!

Without debt, I'd be happily paying my living expenses doing copywriting, while building several online businesses and investing significant time into learning useful technical and marketing skills. I'm surrounded by entrepreneurs and opportunities.

However, I've got spiralling monthly repayments that are are like a millstone around my neck.

CURRENT SITUATION
I've returned to the UK for the summer and am dealing with the reality of my debt, before I head back to Bali - so I can crack on and enjoy my life.

Currently my debts are

- Around £12k on two credit cards (one's with a collection agency).
- £1,500 in unpaid council tax.
- £385 to a water company.

I'm an SEO copywriter and work for between £35 and £55/hour - although haven't invested much time in building my client base, as I'm much more interested in building a scalable business.

For example, I've just started working with two eCommerce clients on a %-only basis that's not making much money yet - but has long-term potential.

However, I've decided to start promoting the hourly rate work for the short-term, even though I have other long-term ideas. It's a tricky balancing act - especially with debt thrown into the equation.

My apartment's gone up in value nicely and there's plenty in the monthly rent to pay the bills and a little more... I was just an idiot and spent some of the bills money when I got low.

Fortunately, I've ALWAYS paid my mortgage on-time.

Ideally I'll head back to Bali in September, with a clear and serviceable repayment plan.

However, if I have to spend a couple of months extra in the UK to build my monthly income up enough to comfortably meet my repayment plans AND living costs, then do be it.

I'm in the fortunate position of living rent-free at my mum's place - and yes, I'm grateful! She's very happy for me to be here, paying off my credit cards. And I'm refuting the many offers I've had for holidays abroad this summer, to focus on my credit cards.

I'm aware my tale might sound indulgent, but I'm vastly more frugal and sensible living in Bali, where everything I want is on my doorstep, than I was in a 'sensible' (soul destroying) corporate career.

My sums would look fine, IF I hadn't rung up this credit card debt. And that happened during my corporate career - NOT afterwards!
NEXT STEPS
I'm planning to call each of the credit card companies tomorrow.

- Is there anyone else I should be speaking to?
- I've heard consolidation loans are a bad idea?
- Can/should I get a credit card for on-balance transfers, considering my (now) poor rating?

It's tricky as I don't have a fixed income, but respond well to goals.

I'm thinking if I can get my repayments under £1,000/month, that would match the cost of living (comfortably) in Bali, so - with tax - I'd be looking at a sub-£40k income to get back to Bali.

Hitting that within several month seems manageable.

I am very confident in my long-term prospects, but this debt is a weight I need to lose ASAP!

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!

Comments

• dionysia
    dionysia Posts: 81 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    What's the status of the council tax debt? Is it from when you were living in the flat you've now got rented out? Have they taken you to court for it?
    June 2017: owe £16,818.
    June 2018: owe £13,263.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,876 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 4 July 2018 at 9:51PM
    dionysia wrote: »
    What's the status of the council tax debt? Is it from when you were living in the flat you've now got rented out? Have they taken you to court for it?

Council doesnt need to use the courts as they can obtain a liability order for the amount outstanding under government powers given to councils.

What a rock an roll lifestyle you lead OP, to be honest, why are you even bothered about your UK debts, they are unlikely to find you on the other side of the world, should you choose to ignore them, or you can pay them off as your income allows, you do not seem to be short of funds.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • nomadfreedom
    Good question!

Because I have a UK property, I've registered a UK business and may - at some point - choose to live in the UK again.
  • nomadfreedom
    Council debt hasn't gone to court! They're sent a few angry letters though.
  • sazaccount
    sazaccount Posts: 537 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Hi

Could you look at getting a part time temp job e.g. bar/waiter? during the summer to help with the repayments I know it!!!8217;s a long way down from what your used to but it will give you the stability while building your online business. At least it could pay your council tax / water bills

I!!!8217;ve just returned to the uk also and going to Canada next year so have got a part time night job in a supermarket to fund the travel :-)
    Thanks to money saving tips and debt repayments/becoming debt free I have been able to work and travel for the last 4 years visiting 12 countries and working within 3 of them. Currently living and working in Canada :beer: :dance:
  • nomadfreedom
    I’m going to focus on building my freelance business instead.

My hourly rate’s already £35-50 and I can earn more doing %-based work for eCommerce clients.

Having spent six years in the corporate world I’m keen to leverage those skills to fuel adventure; it’s somewhat cathartic!

Had good conversations this week. Each of the credit card companies/collection agencies was fairly relaxed. Head down and focusing on my marketing now!
  • Hi there NomadFreedom

How are you getting on with your debt?

I have to say I am quite envious of you minus the debt of course haha.

You have worked hard in life, so I am sure you will work hard again to get rid of your debt!

My own debt is £9000 ( credit card and personal loan) but no assets...
    I just hope once I've got rid of this debt within 6 months, I can start planning for something better.......

The idea of living in Bali as a NOMAD sounds tempting...
  • Cheers for the message!

Conversation with the collection agency went well. They were surprisingly chilled and understanding of the fact that I have just started a business and that my earnings will fluctuate.

An old and very good client who had tried using cheaper freelancers for a while got back in touch... it didn't work out, so they hired me.

They're hiring me @ £40/hour to write copy and I just earned around £1,100, working a few hours a day for a week. There's two potentially BIG deals on the table.. if I got both, I'd work very hard for August and get around £5,000.

Calling the several people I owe money to had a MASSIVE positive impact on my well-being. They all seemed to respond positively to me proactively making contact and explaining that I'm serious about clearing my debt, but that I need to build my earning capabilities in order to start making more substantial monthly payments.

Bali as a Nomad is good!

I love it. But I have ADHD and very much enjoy new places, new people and a totally unstructured day... whereas some people who like familiarity and routine struggle with it.

It's very easy to rock-up to Bali, make enough to 'get by' and have some fun. Then realise you're mid-thirties, and want a kid and a family home somewhere more developed.. but have what is - by Western standards - a meagre income.

For me, the appeal of Bali is that I only have to work 10-20 hours to pay my bills.. I can then invest another 20 hours in building more scalable income solutions; a risk-taking activity I wouldn't have time for if I had a conventional 9-5 job.

So yeah, Bali gives people a lot of freedom... but it takes self-discipline to leverage that freedom for long-term monetary success.

A big, big thing for me, is that having the ocean and jungle is SO good for my well-being. I can work harder, when I can relax harder. Just like having bigger brakes on a car is key for driving fast!

Feel free to PM me regarding any nomad stuff! :)
  • Chandelier.
    Chandelier. Posts: 933 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Sounds like you've got it sorted and are on the ball with it. Well done.

I'm also jealous of your lifestyle and have ADHD myself where as I need structure and routine!

All the best, the freelancing sounds like you're doing good. I'm also a tad bit jealous of your nomad life and work hours ;)
    Chandelier.
    Current Debt Repaid:
    £104/£619.

Check out my Diary
    :D
  • It's a juggling game, but I'm keeping the balls going; and - more importantly - feel I'm improving as a juggler.

Self-discipline/routine is a topic of key interest to me.

I've struggled with organisation and productivity my entire life. Despite being skilled at stuff some people find difficult (selling/presentations), my personal organisation (typing up notes, being anywhere on-time) haunted and undermined my entire corporate career.

I'd do a fantastic presentation to a top client, then forget to follow it up with basic account management stuff afterwards.

When I first went full-nomad I went off the rails; my sleeping was screwed-up and I wasted whole weeks procrastinating. And at a certain point, I realised that no-one was going to sort this out for me; and that I'd simply stop making money, with no assistance.

And in the space of several months, I've transformed my personal organisation and discipline; from exercise every morning, to using organisation tools like Trello and time management apps like Toggl.

So actually, the routine I had thrust upon me in a 9-5 job in some ways allowed me to coast-along and get by with poor organisation skills; always 'getting-by' but never addressing them.

Whereas with no-one looking over my shoulder, I've had no choice but to address these shortcomings.

Counter-intuitive, but in hindsight, it makes a lot of sense to me!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure