I need to be debt-free! HELP

123457»

Comments

• DrEskimo
    DrEskimo Posts: 2,347 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Mjfender26 wrote: »
    Okay, So after a long conversation at work with my manager, He has agreed to supply me with a work vehicle, So this means i can sell the work van, and be left with the "work supplied vehicle".

Secondly, I have also thought about "Downgrading" my "personal" vehicle to something cheaper, As it is on a Hire purchase agreement, I am unknown on my options.

What options, if any, do I have to either "Downgrade" or swap my current car for a lower priced one?

Does it mean I would have to re-apply for finance? As explained, my credit score is atrocious, and my chances of being accepted on finance is little.

Thanks.

Great news. Not having the two car payments will free up so much extra income for you!

Which one of the two HP loans was for the Van?

Downgrading could be a good idea, but how is the car you have now? Based on the values you gave, there isn't a huge amount of room to go lower, and will likely come with the unknown possibility of getting a lemon that could end up costing more in repairs...

If your current car is OK and could go on another few years, I would be tempted to just use the surplus income from the reduced HP loan on the Van (based on the values you gave, you won't clear the HP loan in full so will still have some payments to make) and pay off the current car HP loan even quicker. A high APR loan with short duration is equivalent to a low APR loan with a long duration so...

You might need to sit down with a spreadsheet and work out how to pay off the remainder of the HP loan on the van, and the HP loan on the car you have though. I would add them to your debt snowball and attack the one with the highest APR, just as you are with the other debts.

Once the loan is paid, you can start to change your behaviours. Address the root cause of the issue so to speak. Pay off the debts, start putting money away and get into the mentality of saving and paying for things with cash, rather than always looking to borrow to pay for things. Loans are just ways of borrowing income from your future self, but also paying the banks for the convenience in the form of interest. Rather than paying a £300 loan back every month, save £300 and get interest paid to YOU!

Hope that helps.
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,594 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Good plan to get employer to provide work vehicle. I am not sure why they weren't doing that. Getting rid of one of those HP payments will help. Get the interest rates for the debts and tackle them one at a time with the most expensive first.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Mjfender26
    Mjfender26 Posts: 227 Forumite
    The interest rates of these "Bad debts" has been held by all four of them, Hallelujah! lol.
    Debt Free wanna-be in a year.
    £15000 debt in October 2017
    £0 in October 2018
  • BrassicWoman
    BrassicWoman Posts: 3,202 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Mjfender26 wrote: »
    The interest rates of these "Bad debts" has been held by all four of them, Hallelujah! lol.

you're making a great start. :)
    2021 GC £1365.71/ £2400
  • Great to hear you doing so well! I have been in a similar situation with poor credit rating and outstanding debts. I have been paying back what I can (minute percentage compared to overall debt - but something) consistently for the past 9 or so months. My credit rating (Experian) has hit poor for the first time in years! It!!!8217;ll get there... just takes time. Your debt will be gone in no time if you continue as you are! Well done!
  • Mjfender26
    Mjfender26 Posts: 227 Forumite
    That's my plan, I feel like a boring begger not going out as much lol!
    But, all for good cause!
    Debt Free wanna-be in a year.
    £15000 debt in October 2017
    £0 in October 2018
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business