Water Bills questions and comment

Comments

• Are there any requirements for bills to be clear?

My previous bill differed in it's layout from the same one a year before that; resulting in an 80% increase in one of the items. When I queried the increase the water company avoided the question, even though the "ombudsman" made it clear. I did eventually get compensation but only because they didn't answer my communication within a given time frame.

It looks as if I will have to go through all the hassle of complaining again as I have just received another bill, so six months have gone by and I have only just sorted the last one out! :(
    Keef - Sheerness, Kent UK
  • Shavuot
    Shavuot Posts: 125 Forumite
    Are there any requirements for bills to be clear?

My previous bill differed in it's layout from the same one a year before that; resulting in an 80% increase in one of the items. When I queried the increase the water company avoided the question, even though the "ombudsman" made it clear. I did eventually get compensation but only because they didn't answer my communication within a given time frame.

It looks as if I will have to go through all the hassle of complaining again as I have just received another bill, so six months have gone by and I have only just sorted the last one out! :(

I'm not sure a change of layout of a bill will iteslf result in an 80% increase in the charge of one of the items.

If the supplier receives significant feedback that their bills are unclear to customers, the supplier may of course look to revise the layout/design of future bills.

But, unfortunately, some people obviously don't like change :cool:

One thing that company bosses learn quickly in business is that:
    "you can't please all of the people all of the time"
  • Shavuot wrote: »
    I'm not sure a change of layout of a bill will iteslf result in an 80% increase in the charge of one of the items.
    To clarify :-

Items previously shown seperately had been lumped together, resulting in the staggering increase. ;)
  • Shavuot
    Shavuot Posts: 125 Forumite

Items previously shown seperately had been lumped together, resulting in the staggering increase. ;)

Where a supplier totalises a number of smaller charges previously shown seperately on a bill, that itself will not usuallly result in an 80% increase in that total. ;)
  • Shavuot wrote: »

Where a supplier totalises a number of smaller charges previously shown seperately on a bill, that itself will not usuallly result in an 80% increase in that total. ;)

Just a pity the bill wasn't clearer. :(
  • Hi,

I live in a one-bed flat with my partner.

Our water bills are provided by a company called SW Energy who are our building’s sole supplier even though we are in the NW (United Utilities area).

They supply water for: heating, hot water, cold water, surface drainage, sewerage, gas standing charge (£3.20p/m) and scheme management non-DD (£7.31p/m).

They charge £1.70500 for cold water per m3.
    £1.105000 per m3 for sewerage.
    £0.11460 per KWh for heat & hot water.

My average bill per month over the last 18 months is £105.39.

Previously we ran a 3 bed house with 3 people on around £30 water p/m and £50 gas p/m (average).

Has anybody else come across SW Energy? We can’t switch from them and they offer no other tariffs. They are based in Liverpool but seem to operate in London too.

Their business model is based on a District Heating System which they claim allows them to ”optimise the efficiency...far and above that of an individual system” and that this “uses less energy to run” but if this is true it seems they do not pass the savings on to the customer.

Feel a bit trapped in this situation as it’s probably going to force us to move eventually.
  • I live in a 2 bed flat above a shop. Just myself and my partner who work full time. We have been told the water bill is not metred and will be £47 per month. I feel that this is steep considering the size of the property and number of occupants. I am worried that we are also paying the water for the shop? As the shop and flat are under one address and owned by the same people.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    I live in a 2 bed flat above a shop. Just myself and my partner who work full time. We have been told the water bill is not metred and will be £47 per month. I feel that this is steep considering the size of the property and number of occupants. I am worried that we are also paying the water for the shop? As the shop and flat are under one address and owned by the same people.

You need to see a bill from your water company showing your Rateable Value(RV). If you post the name of the water company and the RV, we can let you know if that is the correct charge.

For a two bed flat £564pa is very high and you could be correct that you are paying for the shop as well. You can determine this by contacting the water company.
  • my wTer rates are 61 pounds a month. I live in a 2 bedroom flat with my 15 year old son. I'm on a water metre. my toilets have faulty flush systems and have been leaking water slowly and constantly running. Iv contacted my landlord in April this year and reported this fault. United utilities have said if the leaks fixed they can re assess the bill. my landlord refuses to contact me regarding this. Iv email Ed so many times and get no reply. I dont have a contact number only email and an address. feeling fed up.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Do you not have a letting agent?

Who do you pay rent to?

Consider getting leaks fixed yourself and deduct money from rent!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback