DMP Mutual Support Thread - Part 12

Comments

• fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,380
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Forumite
    I want to request all my data from one of the big banks where I had both current accounts and their own credit card. Do you know if a SAR request will result in everything they hold on me, both bank accounts and credit card? I don't want to spend more than one £10 for the info if it isn't necessary;). I ask because the addresses for bank and card departments are different, I haven't a clue who to send it to:o

Yes it should do. There may be a third address that deals with information requests. Which bank?
  • fatbelly wrote: »
    Yes it should do. There may be a third address that deals with information requests. Which bank?

Thanks. It was Lloyds but I also might do it for Santander. I've already contacted Santander about charges but I'd really like to see everything both of them hold on me as, being on a DMP, I have no access to online accounts and have no paper statements or anything to check. I had bank accounts and credit cards with both although some of my Santander stuff was originally issued and run by Alliance & Leicester.

I do have an address for the SAR department at Lloyds that I used to get details of my old paid-up loans for PPI claims ages ago but I'm not sure if this was just the loans department. I only asked for info on loans in that SAR request though and consequently that's all they sent me. Financial institutions manage to make contacting them so difficult:eek:. No wonder people give up and don't bother persisting.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,717
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Ambassador
    Carboot,

Just address your SAR to the "Compliance officer or Dept".

They will be responsible for information requests.

That way it will get to the right place.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Thanks, sourcrates. Will do.:beer:
  • Probably a dumb question that everyone but me knows the answer to:o.

Since posting off my SAR request I've seen several people giving the advice that a SAR request shouldn't be signed, just our name typed/printed at the end of the letter. Why is this please? I'm afraid I've gone and signed mine:eek:
  • sourcrates
    Ambassador
    Probably a dumb question that everyone but me knows the answer to:o.

Since posting off my SAR request I've seen several people giving the advice that a SAR request shouldn't be signed, just our name typed/printed at the end of the letter. Why is this please? I'm afraid I've gone and signed mine:eek:
    Relax carboot,

Makes no difference whatsoever.

I think it stems from people signing CCA request letters, back in the day, unscrupulous debt collectors were known to "cut and paste" signatures on to credit agreements.

As this is no longer a requirement for CCA`s, its duff info basically.

As for its relevance to a SAR request, your guess is as good as mine.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • sourcrates wrote: »
    This is now becoming more common place, i queried this with a stepchange adviser last week, they were of the same opinion as you Fatbelly, and i must confess, me as well.

I thought sec 87 was fairly specific :

87 Need for default notice.

(1)Service of a notice on the debtor or hirer in accordance with section 88 (a “default notice ”) is necessary before the creditor or owner can become entitled, by reason of any breach by the debtor or hirer of a regulated agreement,—

(a) to terminate the agreement, or
    (b) to demand earlier payment of any sum, or
    (c) to recover possession of any goods or land, or
    (d) to treat any right conferred on the debtor or hirer by the agreement as
    terminated, restricted or deferred, or
    (e) to enforce any security.

Now to me, that seems to mean before they can sell the account or take action through the courts, they must (1) issue a default notice, and (2) record a default on your credit file.

FOS seems not to agree.

With this in mind, does that mean a creditor could take you to court wothout having defaulted the account first? I thought I was fairly safe not paying the ones who hadn't defaulted in order to push for a default, but now I'm not so sure.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    edited 5 September 2017 at 2:00PM
    I've been having a think about my final debt balance. It's barely decreasing because I'm only paying token £1 payments to all my creditors for a few months in order to get a healthy F&F fund together. It's depressing me as I was going great guns getting it down before:o

What I plan to do is deduct from my total the full amount of the outstanding balance on the unenforceable debts. My total will show only what I might have to pay on the others. Even then I hope to get away with less eventually if I can negotiate F&Fs. I know it's massaging the figures but it will give me a boost. My optimism has taken a nose-dive lately:(. I expect it's perfectly normal to 'hit the wall' after a few years on a DMP. Even if I have to pay a pittance on the unenforceables to get rid of them for good with F&Fs it will only be for about 10% like January managed to do. They can take it or leave it, it's better than the zilch that I'm paying them now:rotfl:. I already have enough saved up to cope with that eventuality.

I'd be interested to hear what others think about this? I've always been totally accurate and honest with my figures before so it seems a bit weird to me not to keep doing it. Back later when I've totted it all up.

Edit: By that accounting method my enforceable debt balance is £15841. Looks a lot healthier than £21808;). Gives me hope that it's attainable:j. I haven't changed my signature balance though. Wimping out:o
  • StopIt
    StopIt Posts: 1,470 Forumite
    I've been having a think about my final debt balance. It's barely decreasing because I'm only paying token £1 payments to all my creditors for a few months in order to get a healthy F&F fund together. It's depressing me as I was going great guns getting it down before:o

What I plan to do is deduct from my total the full amount of the outstanding balance on the unenforceable debts. My total will show only what I might have to pay on the others. Even then I hope to get away with less eventually if I can negotiate F&Fs. I know it's massaging the figures but it will give me a boost. My optimism has taken a nose-dive lately:(. I expect it's perfectly normal to 'hit the wall' after a few years on a DMP. Even if I have to pay a pittance on the unenforceables to get rid of them for good with F&Fs it will only be for about 10% like January managed to do. They can take it or leave it, it's better than the zilch that I'm paying them now:rotfl:. I already have enough saved up to cope with that eventuality.

I'd be interested to hear what others think about this? I've always been totally accurate and honest with my figures before so it seems a bit weird to me not to keep doing it. Back later when I've totted it all up.

Edit: By that accounting method my enforceable debt balance is £15841. Looks a lot healthier than £21808;). Gives me hope that it's attainable:j. I haven't changed my signature balance though. Wimping out:o

I think it's best to separate them at the very least. The £15841 is what you need to pay, the rest is purely optional depending on if they play ball with tiny F&Fs.

Don't let a number on a spreadsheet get you down though. Get yourself on a sound footing financially, and then get on with the DMP payments once everything has fallen into place.

In debt and looking for help? Look here for the MSE Debt Help Guide.
    Also, If you need any free and impartial debt advice, the National Debtline, Stepchange, and the CAB can help.
  • sourcrates
    Ambassador
    With this in mind, does that mean a creditor could take you to court wothout having defaulted the account first? I thought I was fairly safe not paying the ones who hadn't defaulted in order to push for a default, but now I'm not so sure.

Under civil procedure rules they have to warn you in writing first if they intend to take court action.

It's called the "pre-action protocol", the two parties have to attempt to either agree payment, or a payment plan before involving the courts.

This is been tightened up further still from October 1st.

So you will get plenty of warning.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure