Missy's spend £10 a week on groceries get the house sorted & hit this debt hard diary

Comments

• AlwaysHappy
    AlwaysHappy Posts: 1,506
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Wow - i'm exhausted by just reading your list.... well done on getting so much done
    I'm not a failure if I don't make it, I'm a success because I :tried!
  • missymoo81
    missymoo81 Posts: 7,695
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    edited 12 August 2017 at 5:53PM
    Hey AlwaysHappy, Im tired reading my list lol.

This is more challenging than I first thought, and I have learned a lot even in the short space of time. Things that have become apparent already are:
    I have to really think about what we're eating and what I'm eating, I can't just grab a biscuit to snack on as it has been counted up to fit in the budget lol.
    I need to make cakes or snacks of some sort, as I'm ravenous in the afternoon and kept opening and shutting the cupboards looking for things to eat today.
    Not to set a strict meal plan, as todays has already changed! But as long it is in budget then it's all good!
    I need to do a good and proper inventory as I have lots more in than I even thought I did, just from my quick look today.
    To be flexible.... Roo wants to make leek and potato soup tomorrow! so need to fit leeks into the shopping list somewhere?!
  • missymoo81
    Forumite
    I need to have a proper look in my fridge as I've got stuff that needs using that I don't want to through out at all but will need to be inventive! half a tin of sweet corn, old carrots, coconut cream, and sour cream to name but a few. But I have a plan for those, carrots and sour cream in soup, coconut cream in smoothies, and sweetcorn in burritos :D.

So its a NSD so far. may end up shopping tomorrow. Going to forgo my marmite :o:eek: to get leeks for Roo and his soup! So I think tomorrow will mostly be spent, making cakes, making jam and making soup! I'm so pleased I spent hours cleaning the kitchen today :rotfl:
  • Hiddenidenity
    Hiddenidenity Posts: 5,423 Forumite
    As for a strict meal plan - that didn't work for me either.

What I do is decide on 7 dinners, 7 lunches and breakfast with the kids.

Write the list and shop.

Then we have what we want out them 7 meals on the days it suits us. For instance 99% of the time Sunday is a roast, so Monday is usually something with the left overs (curry/wraps/salad or similar) Same for if we have mince, I use the leftover spag bol to make chilli/lasagne etc

I always make 'fridge' soup. Every week, all the sad looking veg etc and freeze in portions so it can be used for lunches.

I bake all snacks (Oat biscuits/cakes/flapjack is the standard weekly things)
  • missymoo81
    Forumite
    Thanks Hidden, you're so organised! How random we both just posted on eachothers diaries at exactly the same time!!! Lol must be synchronised in organising thoughts lol. Or that we've both just put small ones to bed and we actually have a minute to read the diaries!
  • laurenh1
    laurenh1 Posts: 756
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    My hubby& I were in terrible debt but managed to get out of it and I am now trying to save instead! Not sure if Ive subscribed or not (new to this)but definitely routing for you!! Good luck xx:D
  • missymoo81
    Forumite
    Hi Lauren thanks for popping in! I feel like I'm getting somewhere with the house and being s bit organised and actually keeping track of money going out! Challenge will be when we actually go to aldi, to see if I can actually be disciplined enough to only spend £10!!
  • laurenh1
    Forumite
    A good tip is to deliberately make too much so you have leftovers! And make meat go as far as poss as its sooo expensive. We currently spend about 150 a month for 4 adults including nappies (for 2)formula toiletries etc not sure id make it on 10 a week with hub here:)
  • missymoo81
    Forumite
    edited 13 August 2017 at 1:46AM
    That's a great budget you do well to stick to it! OH would treble my budget with his hollow legs!

I have redone my shopping list for what feels like the hundredth time!

Version 4 or maybe 45, not sure lol, Anyway;

Bananas x 10 120
    Bread x 3 105
    Beans 23
    Carrots 42
    Passata 35
    Tomatoes 29
    Frozen Broccoli 89
    Sugar 59
    Milk 145
    Marg 69
    Porridge75
    Potatoes145
    Leeks 85

£10.20

Going to try and Eeek hair mousse out for another week, and am giving up marmite in aid for debt busting, and leek and potato soup lol. I decided on porridge too as I was so hungry yesterday I'm hoping I can make flapjacks or at the very least porridge to fill me up! Looking forward to making soup, especially eith small ones help.
  • laurenh1
    Forumite
    I think thats pretty impressive. I find I am much better if I gp armed with a list! It isn't for everyone but my local supermarket do some great reductions at the end of the day, but its hard getting the opportunity to go with littlies and no hubby about! Alsp a great budget recipe book is "a girl called Jack" I bet most recipes would be online xx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure