LuxStyle Quickmax invoicing scam

HI All,

I'm a long time reader, first time poster, so please be gentle with me.

The reason for my post is two fold:
1. To ask for advice
2. To warn others

I clicked through an advertisement on Instagram for a beauty product called Quickmax (eyelash serum), made by a company called Luxstyle (Lux Style). It was one of those horrible websites that doesn't show you the price straightaway, you have to enter your address and email first. (Yes, I know, I know, this should have been a warning sign...)

When it took me through to payment (via PayPal) I saw they wanted to charge me £60 for two products and postage. Being sane, I did not order the products, closed down the window and thought no more of it.

I then got an email, saying 'Thank you for ordering' from this company. I instantly panicked and checked my PayPal account. Nothing had been taken out, so I assumed it was a mistake and forgot about it.

...until, the products arrived on my doorstep with an invoice for £65. (additional £5 fee for invoicing too!!).

I utilised Google and found this thread:
uk.trustpilot.com/review/luxstyle.nl

Where a massive number of people are facing the same issue - being sent, and then invoiced for goods they never ordered. I've emailed the company, who said I can send the product back to them at my own cost...to Denmark. I have told them I won't be paying for something I haven't ordered and that I will happily send them back if they provide a prepaid postage label. According to Trust Pilot, others have done the same and got no where, but then later ecieved more invoices for fines for late payment, or threats of court action. So I'm not sure what to do now. Any helpful suggestions?

Please everyone be aware of this company and AVOID!

Xan.

Comments

• They'd have to invoice you manually because you didn't give them enough detail to collect payment via PayPal or any other means.

I'd wait for someone more knowledgeable than me to reply as I don't know if this would still be classed as unsolicited goods as you didn't complete the order.
  • naedanger
    naedanger Posts: 3,102 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Xandra85 wrote: »
    HI All,

I'm a long time reader, first time poster, so please be gentle with me.

The reason for my post is two fold:
    1. To ask for advice
    2. To warn others

I clicked through an advertisement on Instagram for a beauty product called Quickmax (eyelash serum), made by a company called Luxstyle (Lux Style). It was one of those horrible websites that doesn't show you the price straightaway, you have to enter your address and email first. (Yes, I know, I know, this should have been a warning sign...)

When it took me through to payment (via PayPal) I saw they wanted to charge me £60 for two products and postage. Being sane, I did not order the products, closed down the window and thought no more of it.

I then got an email, saying 'Thank you for ordering' from this company. I instantly panicked and checked my PayPal account. Nothing had been taken out, so I assumed it was a mistake and forgot about it.

...until, the products arrived on my doorstep with an invoice for £65. (additional £5 fee for invoicing too!!).

I utilised Google and found this thread:
    uk.trustpilot.com/review/luxstyle.nl

Where a massive number of people are facing the same issue - being sent, and then invoiced for goods they never ordered. I've emailed the company, who said I can send the product back to them at my own cost...to Denmark. I have told them I won't be paying for something I haven't ordered and that I will happily send them back if they provide a prepaid postage label. According to Trust Pilot, others have done the same and got no where, but then later ecieved more invoices for fines for late payment, or threats of court action. So I'm not sure what to do now. Any helpful suggestions?

Please everyone be aware of this company and AVOID!

Xan.

Do not pay anything. Do not pay to post them back. Ignore their letters and emails. (If you can block their emails from reaching you then do so.)

[If they take up your offer and send a prepaid label then return the item provided you get proof of posting. However I think it very unlikely they will take up your offer as the items are probably worth less than the cost of postage.]

The items will be close to worthless and the company is banking on just a small proportion of people paying. They will stop chasing everyone else eventually. The sooner you stop replying to them the sooner they will stop sending empty threats.

(If you are still concerned speak to Citizen's Advice.)
  • Hi,

I'm located in Singapore, facing the same issue. i received the item and i didn't key in my credit card or pay pal information at all. I'm not gonna return them nor pay for the item that I didnt order.

I'm gonna wait and see what action they will be taking against the " consumer ".
  • m1nt
    m1nt Posts: 49 Forumite
    edited 24 November 2016 at 4:55PM
    My mother made the same mistake as OP. Is it safe to ignore their e-mails and letters and "debt" collection letters etc, are they in anyway enforceable? or can they blacklist her?

I told her to state she never received the item after other stories of how the company refuse to pay for postage collection.

They want her sign the following:
    https://s12.postimg.org/7id4y56vh/lux.jpg

but I have told her to just ignore, is this ok? or what would you advise?
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    m1nt wrote: »
    My mother made the same mistake as OP. Is it safe to ignore their e-mails and letters and "debt" collection letters etc, are they in anyway enforceable? or can they blacklist her?

Theoretically they could issue court proceedings against her - but your mother would be able to win rather easily imo so I can't see them doing that, they're more likely sending debt collection letters to scare you into paying.

A contract requires certain things to happen/be present before it is formed. Offer & acceptance are two of those (along with things like consideration, intention to create legal relations & capacity to contract). They made an offer of £60 (using figures from OP's post as example) but you didn't accept it therefore no contract.

It would be up to them to prove a contract existed. However if your mother is extremely worried, perhaps just send them a letter (keeping a copy for her own records) saying she never entered into a contract with them and unless they can produce evidence to the contrary, she will consider any further contact from them as harassment.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • Thank you for the very important information I will make sure I make everyone I know aware of this deplorable unkind nasty little scam.

I very much hope that the people behind this scam are found and brought to book.
  • My girlfriend is having the same experience she clicked on a facebook link jumped through hoops to get the price of the product then declined the purchase at the end. Now she has LuxStyle chasing her for the money.

The products did not arrive and they want her to sign document stating this. The problem with the document is that in clause 2 it states that she ordered from them. She will not sign this as she has told them she did not order from them and will not sign a document stating this. They have come back saying that there records show she has ordered.

As far as I understand she has not agreed to any contract of purchase and any goods that are sent out would be deemed gifts.

Do we just ignore this?

Has anyone ever had any legal comeback from the company?

I was also thinking of lodging a complaint with the Danish Consumer Ombudsman.

Thanks

Andy
  • I just got a package containing two tubes of quickmax with an invoice of $80 or $90. I didnt order this product at or even knew it existed until i got it in the mail. I thought i join the wagon and let y'all know you arent alone and also came here to get some insight on what i should do. this is obviously forced billing. i emailed them back to asked for postage so i can send it back but have heard nothing back. I suppose i can just keep ignoring their threats once they begin.. another thing i noticed that this package was only addressed to my first name, which i also found strange, anyone else had that same thing happen?
  • naedanger
    naedanger Posts: 3,102 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    aboutamu wrote: »
    I just got a package containing two tubes of quickmax with an invoice of $80 or $90. I didnt order this product at or even knew it existed until i got it in the mail. I thought i join the wagon and let y'all know you arent alone and also came here to get some insight on what i should do. this is obviously forced billing. i emailed them back to asked for postage so i can send it back but have heard nothing back. I suppose i can just keep ignoring their threats once they begin.. another thing i noticed that this package was only addressed to my first name, which i also found strange, anyone else had that same thing happen?

Are you based in the UK? (If you are not in the UK then ignore this post.)

If so then this package sounds like unsolicited goods which means you are entitled to keep them (even if the seller requests their return).

I would completely ignore all correspondence from the company. Any reply you send may indicate to them that you have some concern about the position they have put you in, and so worth pursuing further.

[Items sent by mistake are NOT unsolicited but the fact they sent an invoice suggests there was no mistake. Genuinely valuable merchandise is not deliberately shipped without prior payment to a new customer. Also the type of goods are typical of the type sent unsolicited.]

If you still have any concerns speak to Citizen's Advice.
  • Hi, what's the update now on your situation after not paying for a month? Did they send you threat letters?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure