Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    dseers335
    0 WOW
    Beware - Goldcar Car Rentals Spain
    • 22nd Sep 10, 6:02 PM
    0 WOW
    Beware - Goldcar Car Rentals Spain 22nd Sep 10 at 6:02 PM
    I booked a trip to Alicante airport for myself and my girlfriend. We wanted to hire a rental car and ended up booking with a hire company called Goldcar.

They seemed quite cheap and already have "all-inclusive" insurance included so it sounded good.

I will make sure I never go near this company again.

Firstly, when we arrived we had to queue for just over an hour before getting to the front of the desk. Being peak-season we weren't too suprised and, although inconvenient, we could bare this.

When we reached the desk the rep was very abrupt and bordered of rudeness. This didn't really bother me (at the end of the day this guy was working and had a lot of holiday-makers to get through).

When we had finished with the details the rep asked if I wanted "full CDW insurance" or just "basic" cover for tyres and glass. Now, as I have hired cars several times in the past I am fully aware of exclusions (tyres/glass/keys etc) and so replied that I did not require any extra insurance and my credit card covers for the tyre/glass etc charge - but did query the "full CDW insurance" he was offering. The man looked at me and said "if you are involved in a crash then we will need to charge you for all repairs". I told him that this was already included in the cost I had paid for the hire and highlighted the wording on my voucher which backed up my understanding. "it is not correct. if you have a crash you only have 3rd party and we will take a 5000.00EUR excess-deposit until the repairs are worked out" - using these words exactly. The rep was basically telling me I had zero cover whereas the paperwork I had and the website tells me I was all-inclusive.

After several more minutes of this I agreed to take the extra cover so I could enjoy the rest of my holiday stress-free and had to pay up a further 60.00EUR.

The rep just handed me an electronic paid to sign which had no indication of what I was paying for or agreeing to exactly. A few days later I inspected the contract to see that the total price and been converted to GBP with a 2% mark-up, the cost of fuel was priced at 82.00EUR and I was charged for some kind of diesel-upgrade on top without my consent (I had booked a petrol!).
    The vehicle itself had some problems but it is rare to be given a perfect rental car, especially in Spain, so this was OK.

When I got home I sent an email to my broker ("Carjet") who confirmed my understanding of the insurance (all-inclusive except for the tyres/glass etc). They could not really disagree as I was going by the wording on their's/Goldcar's website.

Carjet then contacted Goldcar with my complaint to get to the bottom of it. After a few weeks, Goldcar replied to say that their rates were all-inclusive except for a few minor items and they did not take any deposit in case of a crash. Goldcar said that I must have misunderstood due to the language barrier and the cover I had taken was only cover for punctures/loss of keys etc and their rates included in more just 3rd party.

After a few more emails back and forth Goldcar closed the case stating "we can't refund when the client has signed the contract".
    This email probably makes me sound like newbie who doesn't read the small print but I really am not (it gives me something to do during the flight!). My partner also backs up entirely what I have said and encouraged my to write this.

That's my review. Stay away from Goldcar if it can be helped. The salesmen at the desk will lie to you outright in order to make an extra few Euros commission.

I have prebooked my next trip and Carjet were able to arrange the car hire through "Solmar" this time for the same price.
Page 20
    • EssexExile
    • By EssexExile 22nd Oct 18, 8:21 PM
    • 3,217 Posts
    • 2,276 Thanks
    EssexExile
    If you've cancelled your credit card will they be able to give you a refund ?
    Originally posted by nickcc
    And cancelling the card won't prevent them taking more.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
    • deeleys
    • By deeleys 22nd Oct 18, 8:35 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    deeleys
    The card has been cancelled and another one issued. They said if I don't hear from Gold car in the next few days I can dispute the 119 pounds (just realised the deposit was 131 euros plus 3.47 transaction fee). The invoice I got this morning said I had paid a 113 euros deposit with a 58 euro penalty for not leaving the car full and that they will refund me 54 euros in the next few days.

The card company said they are 99% sure (but couldn't 100% guarantee) that Gold car couldn't take any more money out. I am hoping that I at least get the 54 euros back and they don't take any more for made up damages to the car.

I cant believe they scammed me. I am usually so on the ball with these things and I used to work for two car hire companies in Cyprus many years ago, so should have known what was going on. They just prey on you being vulnerable and trusting.
    • deeleys
    • By deeleys 31st Oct 18, 3:55 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    deeleys
    Update; Goldcar customer service got back to me and said that they had reviewed the diesel and they were going to refund me the full diesel deposit.
    They had already refunded me 46 out of the 119 deposit as per their dodgy invoice/penalty charge and they refunded me another 49.50, so I got most of the money back. Luckily they hadn't taken anything out for any bogus care damages. Using Goldcar was stressful and time consuming and I had to put a stop on my credit card, so I won't be using them again.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,237Posts Today

9,240Users online

Martin's Twitter