IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

DVLA selling personal details.

Options
Good evening. I hope everyone is well. I was wondering how I could stop the DVLA from selling my personal details to any old Mickey Mouse Private Parking Enforcement firms? I am not happy that these companies can just buy my information from the DVLA. Is this legal?

For Debt Collection, local authorities and Emergency Services I can understand it and have no issue with it. But these barely legal unregulated firms? I have an issue with that.

Is there some way I could opt out of this? Inform the DVLA that I do not wish this? The DVLA website seems to be somewhat vague on this matter.
Do not give in to Private Parking firms. Fight them all the way!

Comments

• Redx
    Redx Posts: 38,084 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    already discussed in this thread you missed

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5849784

complain to your local MP too
  • beamerguy
    beamerguy Posts: 17,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options

Is there some way I could opt out of this? Inform the DVLA that I do not wish this? The DVLA website seems to be somewhat vague on this matter.

You would be vague if everyone did this and you lost £millions

The DVLA are fully aware they work with scammers. Just another failure of the May government
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,350 Forumite
    Options
    Done-to-death topic over many years. Eager new gums bumped, cascading blood everywhere. No progress!
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • StaffsSW
    StaffsSW Posts: 5,788 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Become a Freeman of The Land and make up the rules as you go along. Shout a lot about common law, and wet ink signatures.

It doesn't matter if you don't understand it, just shout louder and more indignantly, but also record any confrontations on a shaky camera phone in portrait format.

You could then upload these to your own Youtube channel to make friends with fellow wibbleheads and shout at each other in your own echo chamber of pseudo-legal nonsense.

Or sell your car and get the bus or taxi if you don't want the DVLA to pass on your details.
    <--- Nothing to see here - move along --->
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,350 Forumite
    Options
    ^^ Quality ^^. :)
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • Norfolk_Boi
    Options
    Interesting suggestions lol. I see that you can fill in form V888 from the DVLA and just get an individuals personal details.

I wonder if I can get a copy of the form sent in to get mine under the FOI?
  • twhitehousescat
    Options
    Interesting suggestions lol. I see that you can fill in form V888 from the DVLA and just get an individuals personal details.

I wonder if I can get a copy of the form sent in to get mine under the FOI?

or play at choose the V888?:rotfl:
  • Norfolk_Boi
    Options
    Fill one in to get the landowners personal details. I wonder if they'd like that lol
  • twhitehousescat
    Options
    please read what a v888 is for

and reasons for asking
  • beamerguy
    beamerguy Posts: 17,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Fill one in to get the landowners personal details. I wonder if they'd like that lol

If you know the reg number of a car.

V888 asks why you need the info and they can refuse.

That's suppose to stop rogue trader types but .... doubt the DVLA could care less, they provide info to scammers at the best of times
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure