Barclays #sigh

How annoying! Turns out the basic bank account i set up isnt basic enough & now been cancelled after barclays received the OR's letter,, a month later :mad:

Super annoying as I changed my few dds & cb over from Santander ... but Santander don't mind about br at all so I've got to change them all back! Doh!

Anyway, moral of the story don't set up a new account till after you've spoken to the OR :cool:

Comments

• broaps
    broaps Posts: 97 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    edited 22 February 2019 at 9:22PM
    Hi Annie, surprised what you say about Santander as they cancelled my husband's account last September even though he asked if he could change to a basic account. No debts or anything with them so no reason we could understand and the OR wrote to say they had no interest in the account.
  • Annie35
    Annie35 Posts: 385 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Yeah, My thoughts too really, well they'll prob cut me off next week once their letter lands, something to look forward too eh.

Shall call into nationwide next week & try again :(
  • I had the exact same thing myself, despite being absolutely up front with them about setting up a basic bank account due to impending bankruptcy. Apparently my credit score was "too high". So it all turned into a brief nightmare until they sorted me out with a basic bank account. It was fine in the end, but it was stressful whilst it was happening...
  • I have to say I find the Barclays Basic so useful I have kept mine long past the date where I could get a 'normal' account. The only difference between the two I have ever found is the lack of an overdraft facility - which I no longer need and never want :)
  • Annie35
    Annie35 Posts: 385 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    And Santander have caught up & closed that account now �� set up with nationwide this week so fingers crossed I can do my direct debits now ��
  • bradders80
    bradders80 Posts: 18 Forumite
    If you have serious problems with banks you can get a 'virtual' account with Transferwise or Revolut and make payments from there for things like bills etc. They also give you a debit card.

I've been with Transferwise for ages since I lived in Spain and wanted to exchange money without paying ridiculous fees. They don't even know my address either, that's how easy it is!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure