2nd job tax

Options
Hi I'm after some advice please. I am about to start a 2nd job, both of which will mean I am still under the personal tax allowance. Will I still get taxed on my 2nd job?
Thanks

Comments

• p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,820 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Samp26 wrote: »
    Hi I'm after some advice please. I am about to start a 2nd job, both of which will mean I am still under the personal tax allowance. Will I still get taxed on my 2nd job?
    Thanks

It depends on what you tell your new employer.

You may well get taxed to start with as it's a second job - what you need to do is contact HMRC anf get them to split your tax allowance over two tax codes, one for each employer
  • Dazed_and_confused
    Options
    HMRC tend to split your tax code automatically now in this type of situation.

Any spare allowances not needed at your original job will be given to a tax code for your second job.

This should happen shortly after the second job pays you for the first time (which is when they notify HMRC you have started work for them).

There is no point contacting HMRC before you are paid for the first time as they cannot (and will not) do anything to change your tax codes until you have been paid for the first time and your new employer has sent them some real time information details showing you have started work for them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure