Wading In Treacle

Comments

• Are you planning to up your dmp payments once you start your new job or wait a few months and use the extra savings you have found to reduce your other bills eg rent arrears other halfs cards.
    It might be worth leaving the dmp at 12 a month for another 6 months. I know you want to pay it off but try and organise the other bits first as they are your priority ones.
    Jan 18 Joint debts 35,213 - March 24 16.6k
    Mortgage Jan 18- 77224 Dec 23- just under 69k
  • catandy
    catandy Posts: 868 Forumite
    First Post
    OH and I have had a bit of a heart to heart and he accepts that spends this month and probably next have to go onto the credit card and its going to take me probably till April to pay them off and get them clear. The deal is once they are clear they are not used again and that suits me just fine :)
  • Your rent repayment seems to be agreed by everyone so if you stick to that it will be gone in 4-5 months.
    Your council tax arrears are due very soon and you may only get a part wage for feb. Hopefully you will get your money owed before then. If not you need a plan B.
    Also do the payments to the credit card need to be included in this SOA. I wasnt sure if you had other regular income as a couple to cover it at the moment. It may be worth including it in your SOA for now till you get straight. I know you dont want to pay interest on the cards but you need to look at council tax and rent first.
    Also as a longer term plan are some of your dmp debts smaller than others and have you ever considered making settlement offers on them. I know you need to get straight first but keeping your dmp payments at £12 for longer than you need may help you save up in the back half of this year to make offers on any smaller ones. Just a thought for the future?
    Keep posting. You can get through this. The treacle will turn to mud, then water, then nothing eventually.
  • catandy
    First Post
    Are you planning to up your dmp payments once you start your new job or wait a few months and use the extra savings you have found to reduce your other bills eg rent arrears other halfs cards.
    It might be worth leaving the dmp at 12 a month for another 6 months. I know you want to pay it off but try and organise the other bits first as they are your priority ones.

logic is I clear the credit cards then they are set aside and only used in an emergency. rent needs to be cleared and then I look at doing something with the dmp - I also need to build an emergency fund somehow along the way as well...
  • Have you considered bankruptcy? You don't seem to have any major assets you need to protect and 15 years is a very long time!
    Debt Totals July 2019::
    [STRIKE]£350 Natwest Credit Card [/STRIKE]/ ]Now £0 (paid off and closed 04/2017) £15,500 postgrad loan from parents/ Now £7,000 £5,000 sister loan/ Now £0[STRIKE]£500 train ticket loan from parents [/STRIKE]/ Now £0 (paid off 16/02/18)[STRIKE]£2,000 Overdraft[/STRIKE] Now £0 (paid off 09/03/18) £1,967.83 Barclays 0% card Now £0
    Total £7,000
  • catandy
    First Post
    Have you considered bankruptcy? You don't seem to have any major assets you need to protect and 15 years is a very long time!

I have thought about it but dont want to - I got into this mess and I owe this money I just need life to settle down and have a regular job and income and be able to plan ahead.. I havent had that for nigh on 5 years and OH even when he was working didnt really help much and wont either moving forward.
  • catandy
    First Post
    'Also do the payments to the credit card need to be included in this SOA. I wasnt sure if you had other regular income as a couple to cover it at the moment. It may be worth including it in your SOA for now till you get straight.'

yes it needs to be included and yes I need to work out how I am going to get thru next month as well.... doesnt feel like there is going to be an end to this
  • CCW007
    CCW007 Posts: 832 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    I really feel for you but I think you need to have a brutally honest chat with your OH about how he is making your position worse by not getting on with the claim against his employers.

I know you say he doesn't want to talk about money but he can't absolve himself of all responsibility whilst this is keeping you awake at night worrying.

Is there anything you can do to start the process - get hold of forms and start completing them, writing up a timeline? It might be the catalyst he needs if you can help him to get started.
  • catandy
    First Post
    i've printed off all the documents he needs and opened an online account for him to fill in the form so short of actually doing it for him I dont know what else I can do.
  • Its tough when the other half doesnt want to play the game. I have that problem too.
    I think you may have to pay just the minimum on the cards even though your still spending till you have sorted c tax and rent and/or could you contact them to ask for breathing space or a rate reduction . Also its worth going on the old style money saving boards for ideas of how to make the best of all the random food you might have in your cupboards.
    Surveys can be a way of building up vouchers for birthday gifts but i must warn you they can be shockingly tedious.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport