PC Gaming VS Console Gaming - What's your opinion

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 12 December 2018 at 8:26AM
    El_Torro wrote: »
    I imagine you need to be quite tech savvy to create good mods, I wouldn't know, I've never done it. Using existing mods tends to be easy though, just follow the installation instructions. There are also Mod Managers for popular games that make the experience even easier.

The mods can be quite effective. I think sometimes gamers are quite good with code and so go on to make these mods and I think some of them are free.

My current PC:
    i5 4690 CPU
    8GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 760 2GB Graphics Card

It's starting to get to the point that it's lower than the recommended specs for new games. I reckon I can squeeze another year or so out of it, by playing older games that I haven't got round to playing yet, and by accepting keeping the graphics toned down on newer games.

The mighty i5 4690 with a clock speed of 3.6Ghz and with a turbo clock speed of 3.9Ghz
    I could be wrong but this is only marginally lower spec than the infamous i7 4790 which is legendary

What would happened if you just upgraded your machine to a bit more ram and installed a used good quality GTX 980Ti or a GTX 1050? Both used and in good condition?

I'd say you've got a future proof machine. You'll be surprised at how good your processor really is. Isn't it true that an i5 is the same thing as an i7 except it doesn't have hyperthreading? It's definitely a quadcore

I'd say youv'e still got a brilliant machine. If it was an old school AMD then maybe not but Intel ruled the roost for years
  • El_Torro
    El_Torro Posts: 1,463 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    The mighty i5 4690 with a clock speed of 3.6Ghz and with a turbo clock speed of 3.9Ghz
    I could be wrong but this is only marginally lower spec than the infamous i7 4790 which is legendary

Let's do a thought experiment. What would happened if you just upgraded your machine to a bit more ram and installed a used good quality GTX 980Ti or a GTX 1050? Both used and in good condition?

I'd say you've got a future proof machine. You'll be surprised at how good your processor really is. Isn't it true that an i5 is the same thing as an i7 except it doesn't have hyperthreading? It's definitely a quadcore

I'd say youv'e still got a brilliant machine. If it was an old school AMD then maybe not but Intel ruled the roost for years

Yes, my CPU is a quad core. The i5's tend to have 6 cores these days, though I'm not sure how useful that is for gaming.

You may have a point about upgrading rather than replacing, I hadn't put much thought into it before. I've actually had my eye on getting a 4K rig with VR, so I've been thinking of saving up for that rather than try to get more power out of my current rig. I reckon that would cost me close to £2k though with the monitor, and that's before buying the VR headset. If I wait a year the price should be more sensible.

The problem with PC gamers is we're always looking for the next big thing :D
  • Cisco001
    Cisco001 Posts: 4,018 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Yes, my CPU is a quad core. The i5's tend to have 6 cores these days, though I'm not sure how useful that is for gaming.

You may have a point about upgrading rather than replacing, I hadn't put much thought into it before. I've actually had my eye on getting a 4K rig with VR, so I've been thinking of saving up for that rather than try to get more power out of my current rig. I reckon that would cost me close to £2k though with the monitor, and that's before buying the VR headset. If I wait a year the price should be more sensible.

grab a GTX 1060, and your pc could use for another 3 years
  • System

hahah that's sooo true! I'm a bit behind with the latest AMD Ryzen but it people tell me that they are Intel killers and that the only way to go for new gaming is to get a Ryzen, Ryzen seems to be best value for money by miles. Do you know anything about that?
    4k gaming would be quite cool :) 2k is a lot of money though, my car didn't cost 2k haha but then again I don't get much enjoyment from my car
  • System
    Cisco001 wrote: »

Yeah I agree I think the GTX 1060 is supposed to be really good. I think it's supposed to be superior to the GTX 980Ti. I remember thinking how cool it was that I had a GTX 980Ti but now they are old but I think a GTX 980Ti can still play most things on high settings can't it?
  • jonnygee2
    jonnygee2 Posts: 2,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Personally, for me it's PC all the way.

First and foremost I mainly play strategy games, city builders and stuff. You just don't get most of them on console. Then there's the graphics. The other games I love are immersive games like The Witcher, GTA V etc. The graphics on PC just completely kick the !!! of anything you would get on a console.

Then there's the really fun stuff, like running an N64 emulator and playing Mario Kart 64 just because you can, or seeing how long you can play

I'll admit its expensive. But a plus side to PC gaming is that between all the independent games and the Steam Sales, you can get a lot of gaming hours and variety out of your 'investment'. Okay I'll also admit it's not going to win on cost!

Also, if like me you are a complete computer nerd, buying and building your system, playing around with overclocks, and building mainly pointless and risky water cooling rigs is actually as fun as the games themselves.

Very sound advice. And it wouldn't be MSE if I didn't point out that eBay is a great place to pick up a graphics card now, thanks to the Bitcoin crash!!! I got a 1080ti on ebay a few months ago for an astounding price (albeit more than a playstation costs!).
  • kangoora
    kangoora Posts: 1,193 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 11 December 2018 at 1:12AM
    PC every time, hands down - but then the games I mainly play (90% of the time) will never be released on a console and a console probably couldn't run them even if they were.

Total War games
    A number of Paradox Interactive titles HoI, CK2, EUIV, Stellaris
    Command Series Wargame of the Year/Northern Inferno
    Gary Grigsby War in the XXXX games

Even when I take a break and play some Fallout or an RPG I am cursing the ones where they've done a bad console port and use some clunky console type menu system.

Plus, on my PC I can keep my business accounts, write letters/emails, easy internet browsing and all the other stuff which a PC can do that a console can't.
  • Lidon1
    Lidon1 Posts: 29 Forumite
    Hi
    My son (10), uses an old works PC HP8200 (7 years old).
    I5 -2400, 8gb ram, 120gb SSD and 500gb with a GT1030 (DDR5).
    PC was free, memory 4gb £10, GT1030 £50 (CEX) and now the SSD £20.

Initially was to play Minecraft. W10 version 99p from ebay. Later purchased full version as he wanted the mods to add dinosaurs to the game. He just followed a youtube guide to do this.
    Then moved to Fortnite, Roblox and now Jurassic World Evolution.
    Believe Jurassic game is a AAA intensive game, cost £45 half the value of the PC, he would play this all day long if he was allowed.

However he has been playing Super Mario Odyssey at his friends and wanted this for Christmas. So have purchased a Switch and the game for £289!

Also agree for games CEX is really expensive, in the same street in town Game were actually cheaper new rather than secondhanded at least for 3DS games.

Plus on the pc, he can do his work, via the internet and cheap ebay ms office! No idea how he has learnt Power Point so well!
  • System
    kangoora wrote: »
    PC every time, hands down - but then the games I mainly play (90% of the time) will never be released on a console and a console probably couldn't run them even if they were.

Hi kangoora, that's a view that I personally share. I think the other posts do tend to point out better value for money with a console and perhaps less of a learning curve but as you put it there are just games that can't be ported over to a console. I specifically think it's because of the mouse and key pattern, you can't replicate that in any other way I don't think
    kangoora wrote: »
    Total War games
    A number of Paradox Interactive titles HoI, CK2, EUIV, Stellaris
    Command Series Wargame of the Year/Northern Inferno
    Gary Grigsby War in the XXXX games

Even when I take a break and play some Fallout or an RPG I am cursing the ones where they've done a bad console port and use some clunky console type menu system.

Plus, on my PC I can keep my business accounts, write letters/emails, easy internet browsing and all the other stuff which a PC can do that a console can't.

I really want to get into the Total War games. I'm quite passionate about my games and I love multi player online games. I used to adore World of Warcraft back in the late 2000's but haven't played it for a while. I really like the idea of the Total War series. Have you got a favourite one? I've heard that some of the older ones were really good such as Rome and I think Shogun was meant to be really good.
  • Over the years I have made the transition from PC gaming to console gaming, and it comes with a few reasons, growing up and family has taken a large chunk out of my time and now I game alot less, this basically means that I cannot justify the cost of a gaming PC versus the time I spend on it.

Becoming an occasional gamer means I now only play on consoles when I want to play a game.

The 2nd reason is that alot of gaming in early days plus the work that I do means that my fingers start aching sooner than they used to lol , no more long mouse and keyboard sessions for me and this is the 2nd reason.

The X Box controller is very confortable to hold over long periods of time.

There's not alot when it comes to matching up mouse accuracy and MMOs like World of Warcraft. Consoles likely need to go through a few more generations of innovation before the gap in gaming experience between cosoles and PCs starts to close more.

That being said, PC techonology developements arent exactly slowing down either.

Dedicated gamers with time - PC
    Occasional gamer - Console

Just my thoughts.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills