Guide discussion: Universal credit

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    I'd like more clairty on how its going to affect disabled workers? I can only work part time and it looks like i'll have to have a WCA yet that only decides of you're fit for work or not fit for any work and doesn;t take into account only being to work part time?
  • Icequeen99
    Icequeen99 Posts: 3,775 Forumite
    Whilst guides such as this can be helpful, it would be far better if they were accurate or flagged up where they are just giving information for the majority.

The four pictures show that you have to be aged 18, not over state pension age, not in full time education and not have savings of more than £16,000. The way it is presented suggests these are absolute rules - but they are not.

It is possible to claim at 16, 17. It is possible for someone over state pension age to claim if their partner is under SP age and it is possible for students to claim in certain circumstances.

On the issue of transitional protection and encouraging people to claim benefits now - that's fine and a good thing to do if people are not claiming their current entitlement. However it should be made clear that whilst you may get transitional protection for years to come, you won't see any other increases in your UC until the award catches up. So for example, if you have a second child, you won't get an extra child element unless that exceeds the amount of any transitional protection.

IQ
  • I also agree with this fact that on one hand the government encourages people to save and with tax credits there wasn't any biase towards those who managed save money for hard times or called rain days or there childrens futures. With the new universal credit there is this 16k limit and government promise nobody will be worse off so what happens to those who have savings over 16k will they be penalised by stopping there benefit or not. 16k in this day and age isn't really a lot when u have to deal with emergencies like a death of a family member unforseen it can cost a lot more especially if family member was main person I charge ofthe house . It seems very sad for people who have been trying save every penny they can for the future of there children and family. From telling children sorry u can't buy a ice cream from the icecream man or not.go to the cinema circus ec etc to not wasting money on parties clubbing and booze and cigarettes for going the more expensive foods takeaways and other luxuries and walking in rain and freezing weather instead of taking a bus taxi that 30/40 pounds saved a week does really add up over 16/18 years of add child's life. So I'm not sure what this will do to a lot of people will it encourage them to spend and not save the money for short term fun enjoyment only to see yet more young people stuck at 16-18 on the streets that's what this seems like it's encouraging this situation.
  • antrobus
    antrobus Posts: 17,386 Forumite
    Myname_is wrote: »
    I also agree with this fact that on one hand the government encourages people to save and with tax credits there wasn't any biase towards those who managed save money for hard times or called rain days or there childrens futures. With the new universal credit there is this 16k limit ....

I think you misunderstand, working and child tax credits are one thing, universal credit is something else. The 16k savings 'limit' isn't new; it's the same old limit that applies to the means tested benefits it replaces.
  • Ames
    Ames Posts: 18,459 Forumite
    antrobus wrote: »
    I think you misunderstand, working and child tax credits are one thing, universal credit is something else. The 16k savings 'limit' isn't new; it's the same old limit that applies to the means tested benefits it replaces.

UC also replaces tax credits, which don't have limits on savings.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
  • I dont get where its says that the government have promised no one will be worse off under UC. I have done my calculations and I would be worse off so does that mean I never have to go onto UC if my circumstances say the same?

However some people will be better off so they will be asking to move asap.

That is going to push the benefits bill even higher as those better off on TC will stay and those better off on UC will move.
  • Ames
    I dont get where its says that the government have promised no one will be worse off under UC. I have done my calculations and I would be worse off so does that mean I never have to go onto UC if my circumstances say the same?

However some people will be better off so they will be asking to move asap.

That is going to push the benefits bill even higher as those better off on TC will stay and those better off on UC will move.

There will be transitional protection for anyone who is migrated to UCL by the government. They won't be worse off as long as their circumstances don't change, although their benefit will be frozen until it's equal with new claimants.

If circumstances do change- for instance someone fails the WCA or loses PIP, which affects entitlement to the SDP, they'll lose transitional protection and AIUI won't get it back even if they win an appeal.
  • WillowCat
    WillowCat Posts: 974 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    JarkayColt wrote: »
    Reading this guide has made me aware that - despite the government stating "no one will be worse off" - certain people such as myself may in fact lose their benefit entitlement in the changeover (unless I've missed something.)

I currently claim working tax credit (with the disability element) which, as far as I remember, is means-tested largely on income and only factors in savings indirectly (it accounts for money earnt from interest but only if this is over £500 a year.) Although my income before benefits is only 4 figures, I've been sensible and have saved over the £16k threshold that would now apply to Universal Credit claimants, which presumably means I'd lose the full amount (because somehow I doubt this would form part of the "transitional" arrangement.)

So, I imagine this would adversely affect those claiming either working or child tax credits who - despite being on a low income - have large rainy day funds (say, for a deposit). It all seems kind of unfair to me, especially since everything nowadays seems only to punish those who save. I was once told by the DWP that the assumption with the other benefits (JSA/ESA etc) is that people with savings will draw an income from that. Surely, for those on a low income, that completely defeats the purpose of having savings.

Tl;dr If tax credits work differently then why lump them in with everything else under one system?

Remember savings in a pension scheme are not considered as capital until you reach state pension age. Have you made enough contributions to your pension?
  • WillowCat
    WillowCat Posts: 974 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    I'd like more clairty on how its going to affect disabled workers? I can only work part time and it looks like i'll have to have a WCA yet that only decides of you're fit for work or not fit for any work and doesn;t take into account only being to work part time?

If you are on DLA/PIP you can request a WCA regardless of how many hours you work/how much you earn.

If you are awarded LCWRA you will get an extra element on your UC (about £318 per month).

If you are awarded LCW there is no more money.

In either case you are exempt from 'conditionality' - i.e. jobsearch requirements.

You can work as many or as few hours as you want.
  • Ames
    WillowCat wrote: »
    If you are on DLA/PIP you can request a WCA regardless of how many hours you work/how much you earn.

If you are awarded LCWRA you will get an extra element on your UC (about £318 per month).

If you are awarded LCW there is no more money.

In either case you are exempt from 'conditionality' - i.e. jobsearch requirements.

You can work as many or as few hours as you want.

So disabled people have to go through the stress of a WCA to be able to work?

This is utter, utter madness.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback