Beware - Goldcar Car Rentals Spain

Comments

• So what if they pre-authorise your card in case there is an accident. Can’t you dispute any false charges with the credit card company? Don’t they have to reimburse you?

I’ve never had a problem with extra insurance as I always refuse it. I just don’t see the point as I’m a careful driver.

I always think of someone I once worked with who hired a Porsche in America and didn’t take the extra insurance. Unfortunately he had a small accident, rolled the car and wrote it off. The car hire company wanted him to pay for the car. He said no problem I’ll send you a cheque when I get back to the UK. He hasn’t sent the cheque yet although it was 10 years ago. I’m sure he will get around to it one day.

The big problem is the fuel charges as they don’t publish the prices at the time of booking so you are wide open to being ripped off.

I believe this is illegal under EU law as they must list the cost of compulsory extra up front. This is the very thing that has got Ryanair into trouble.

So I think the thing to do is dispute the fuel charges with the credit card company on the grounds that it is illegal and therefore any forms you sign about the fuel are null and void.

If one million holiday maker did this, something might happen and this problem could get fixed.

Then again we could all just b!tch and moan about it.

Terry
  • We booked a Seat Ibiza for a week in Spain through Rentalcars.com and were given a voucher for Goldcars. Rentalcars.com terms and conditions clearly state 
'Collision Damage Waiver will waive your liability to pay for any damage caused to the vehicle during the period of hire... Your rental includes Collision Damage Waiver and Theft Protection with zero excess.' 

I even emailed Rentalcars.com to check if I would be asked to pay any extras on collection and the reply was 'no, your insurance is fully inclusive'. 

Yet when we arrived at Goldcars in Jerez to pick up the car, I was told that the wing mirrors, bumpers, windscreen, underside of the car and interior of the car were not covered and that we would have to pay €42 to insure these (I was told a damaged wing mirror, for instance, would cost €180 to repair).

Rentalcars.com terms and conditions do say that the car would be supplied with a full tank of fuel charged at a 'higher per litre price'. A Seat Ibiza in Spain currently costs around €66 to fill. We were charged €98 for a full tank. The result? A car from Rentalcars.com quoted at £104 for the week actually cost around £220!

I emailed my complaints to Rentalcars.com immediately on return and have been told Rentalcars.com has 'no influence' on extras set by their suppliers, even though Rentalcars.com terms, conditions and email are all happy to state the opposite. Rentalcars.com has 'apologised' but is showing no inclination to put this right and be honest with their clients in the future. 

• pompeyrich
    pompeyrich Posts: 3,135 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    If you get a quote through Holiday Autos, when the list of cars appears, click on "car details", it's just under the picture of the car, then on the pop up page click on the further information tab at the top right, then click "picking up your car".

The rental company will be the first word(s) of the paragraph. E.G. Hertz/Golcar/Record, as applicable, require you to.......

At least you will know which company you are booking with before you commit.
  • pompeyrich
    pompeyrich Posts: 3,135 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    park_gate wrote: »
    So what if they pre-authorise your card in case there is an accident. Can’t you dispute any false charges with the credit card company? Don’t they have to reimburse you?

I’ve never had a problem with extra insurance as I always refuse it. I just don’t see the point as I’m a careful driver.
    Terry

I was charged twice for the same rental once, it was booked through an agent, the agent said talk to the rental company, who in turn said talk to the agent, add a language problem and i just went round and round in circles. Complained to the bank who followed the same cicular path, after a year they gave me the amount owed as a "goodwill gesture".

So yes they may well, eventually sort it out but it's not always straightforward.

You MAY be the most careful driver in the World but you are responsible for any damage to the rental car, a stray shopping trolley blown into the side of your car, could leave a big dent in your wallet. I guess not insuring the excess is a gamble, so long as you know the risks, then fine.
  • In August 2012 I made a booking through arguscarhire website. I was sent details and confirmation that I would be collecting my car from a company called Goldcar, a company I have never used previously and after my experience will NEVER use again.

At Alicanti airport we had to queue for nearly 2 hours, also noting that just about every person before us in the queue were having problems with hiring their cars, people where continuously complaining once they had been seen at the window.

Once we eventually got to the front, we were confronted by a woman who thought it was highly funny that we had queued for 2 hours, I dismissed this as I thought it's a language thing. Then she went through this hard sell of additional insurance, I said the website stated it was all included, she said that was the agent's website arguscarhire, and not theirs! The full comprehensive insurance was not included, even though I had a print out that said it was. This was all getting very frustrating and confusing. By the end a car that was advertised for £98 was now costing €440, once you included the fuel surcharge, a £50 charge to put the deposit on a debit card rather than a credit card, the list went on. To be honest I was started to think that this company wasn't trustworthy, I told the woman I didn't want the additional insurance cover, she then started stating that any minor scratches to the car would be charged to my card and could be in the thousands! She then starting typing for about 5 minutes on her screen, when asked what she was typing she put her finger to her mouth and said shush!

I explained that I thought it was outrageous that they didn't make these hidden costs clearer and actually Europcar (who I usually use) were the same price, if not cheaper, provided a better service and had no queues. It was at this point she decided that I was being rude and she wasn't going to give me the car to hire after queuing for 2 hours! She also refused to give me my deposit back and told me to go away and call arguscarhire for my deposit - awful awful woman!!

In all my years of traveling I have never experienced such a rude individual, even the other customers in the queue were outraged at the way she had treated me and my family, however I had a very frustrated 2 year old who had been queuing for all this time and we just wanted to start our holiday. I therefore had to walk away after all that time with NO car.

I'm still trying to get my deposit back, even though I must say that arguscarhire, part of cartrawler have been very helpful and it's again Goldcar who won't get back to them.

Please please don't use Goldcar, they look cheap but they actually work out the same price as companies like Avis and Europcar, who both provide an exceptional service in comparison and you won't have to queue.
  • We had pretty much the same experience.

I half wondered whether the people who persuade you into insurance are commission based. Whatever.

I'm new to car hire in Europe, but this all seemed very sharp practice to me, so what all the negative posters are saying is about right - best to give Goldcar a miss, and stick with someone better known and international maybe.
  • jba
    jba Posts: 1 Newbie
    I go to Spain on quarter basis. The closest airport for my final destination is Malaga. I use to hire a car in the airport. In April 2012 I made the mistake and hired a car from Goldcar. I didn't have problems during my trip, I returned the car in time as per contract. Flew back home. The next day I arrived, I checked my bank account statement. Goldcar charged me in USD although I informed them that the bank account assigned to my bank card is in euro. They converted the euro amount in USD and then back to euro. This conversion cost me 56.78 euro. I contacted Goldcar in e-mail and via phone but they never refund me. In August 2012 we went again to our friends in Spain. In August the Malaga airport is pretty crowded so I asked my wife to hire a car while I'm waiting for our baggage. I missed to mention to my wife to avoid Goldcar. By the time I got my luggage, my other half was already waiting with a Goldcar car key. The answer to my question why exactly this company she said: there were less people at Goldcar’s desk. She already paid everything so, I yield to fate. Again: no problems during the trip, car returned in time, flew home. After three weeks on my wife’s bank account an additional charge of 130 Euro appeared. Claimer: Goldcar. Accessed Goldcar’s webpage and found two invoices under our client code: first for the car hire (which was ok) and a second one for unknown reason. There was no description on the invoice just the amount. We contacted Goldcar in e-mail and phone and after more than one month I’ve got the anwer: the additional charge relates to special cleaning. And this is not true; we returned the car in the same conditions we received, without damages or dirt. The biggest problem in the whole story is that my bank pays these charges even though I informed them that they shouldn’t. Once your card data were provided to Goldcar (e.g. when you pay for car hire on the spot), later on they can charge you whatever amount they want and several times. They can send invoices to the bank with whatever description – and strange to say the bank will transfer the money to Goldcar. And after then you can chase your money, you can call Goldcar (it’s pretty hard to reach Goldcar’s Customer Service and the international call costs) but the most important you’re wasting your precious time. So, if you don’t want to have stroke, if you would like to have calm après-holiday then avoid Goldcar. Pick another company but read the objective opinions about it before contacting them.
    Please note I didn’t write down the above because Goldcar got me shirt out, but to help others not to experience the same.
  • jba wrote: »
    ...Please note I didn’t write down the above because Goldcar got me shirt out, but to help others not to experience the same.

Did you go back to your credit card company and ask for a refund as the money was taken in error or by fraud? Terry

• We did eventually get the money back into ouraccount - with no explanation from Goldcar ! I also contacted my Euro MP, whopromises to support action against this type of practice (but don't hold yourbreath.....

Andrew.
  • TonkaTom
    TonkaTom Posts: 33 Forumite
    I hired a car for a holiday in Mallorca. It was with RECORD through Auto Europe.

When we came to pick it up we were told they only had a old car in the category we had booked. If I didn't want an old car I'd have to upgrade. I declined as I like the convenience of parking a small car.

Then I was told my excess insurance was only valid for accidents. It did not cover vandalism, did I want to pay 40 euros or should they take 400 euros from my credit card to cover any damage.

They then charged me 70 euros for a full tank of petrol.

The car I finally collected was an old banger. Every panel was scratched or dented, the inside was tatty and it had no radio aerial.

The car also only had a 35 litre petrol tank so they had charged me 2 euros per litre.

I know it's no use complaining abroad so I complained on my return. I have got the exceess I was charged for petrol back but how many people are they pulling that stunt on?

I have yet to be compensated for being given an old banger but I am working on it.

I would never take a car from RECORD again. They are just sharks.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback