What small DFW things will you do w/c 18th Feb?

Options

Comments

• DawnW
    DawnW Posts: 7,440 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 23 February 2019 at 9:59PM
    Options
    Morning all :)
    BB, hope your OH recovers soon!
    ILL, hope your dental woes are sorted soon - not a dentist fan myself (though mine is actually lovely)
    Struggling with motivation this morning :o
    But I have cleaned up the kitchen, done some dusting and decluttered a couple of my books which I don't want to keep, and the grandchildren's craft drawer. I have thrown away some unsatisfactory wax crayons (there are still loads of better ones left) and recycled their plastic tub, pulled out a random old ice cream tub, which I will wash for my brother who uses them for freezer tubs, put an old sticker book thing in the recycling and put aside a couple of unloved (by my GC, though another child might like them) childrens books for the CS pile. Might walk the CS pile down to the actual CS this afternoon! Done, took the dog as well, 2 jobs in one!
    I have also put away several random things, such as a HMRC coding notice, instructions for my propagator, pens, the new NT handbook and other random kibble in their proper places, so it does look tidier now :)
    Other plans include:
    Some tidying in the front garden :)Ended up doing stuff in the back garden instead. Planted some 'spare' early potatoes in pots - it is really too early, but the pots can easily be covered with fleece if need be. Won't plant the ones in the actual garden for a couple of weeks yet. Sowed some mangetout peas and parsnips outside, and leeks in the greenhouse. Found some twiggy branches dumped on the bank opposite, so brought them back, cut the twiggiest bits off to support the peas and cut the bigger bits up with the loppers for fire or bbq lighting once they dry out :)

Topped up the compost in the blueberry bush's pot, sprinkled it with sulphate of iron and watered it. It was so warm today, I am dying to plant things, but know it is too early for most!

Roasted cod for dinner, a recipe from a book I got in a junk shop the other day, which is definitely a keeper :)Done, made good use of some cheap white fish fillets from Iceland.
  • allydowd
    allydowd Posts: 4,911 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Busy in the real world....catch you later in the week.
    Debt-free day: 8th May 2015 The Joy Account: £10 "Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck," Dalai Llama
  • Pauper1
    Pauper1 Posts: 387 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi all,

Yesterday was a good day - a NSD on a weekend is virtually unheard of for us! We took food and drink with us, and found a free attraction to go to, plus our previously paid for activity in the afternoon. I felt positively angelic! Haha.

Today we have rugby for DS1 and then a bit of baking for lunchboxes. Hopefully after lunch DH will take both boys out for a bit as he's away next week so he needs to get his parenting hours in :rotfl:

This evening it's preparations for back to preschool.. Will be a LSD not a NSD but still amazing for a weekend! Have a good day, everyone :)

Today's list -
    Rugby
    B&M for DS1 to pick a lunchbox
    Baking
    Decide what to do with my precious alone time!
    Make tomorrow's lunch
    Get tomorrow's clothes ready
    Pack bag for tomorrow
    Get buggy out of the car
    Clean the car
    DMP start 1st May 2014 - £5,864.48 £39,349.41
    Original DFD from Stepchange 6th Sept 2039... :eek:
    Now aiming for end of 2021
  • carrielovesfanta
    carrielovesfanta Posts: 2,978 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 25 February 2019 at 8:49AM
    Options
    Morning all!

BB - I hope you DH is better soon. At least they caught it quickly

1LL - I hope your teeth are sorted soon

What a packed weekend! Yesterday we went to the gym, then did all the batch cooking. OH then had a sleep while I pottered about in the garden and made choc beetroot brownies (very recommended). We went for a drive in the evening and saw a murmuration (sp?) which was pretty cool.

It's my Monday today - oh how quickly it rolls around! I have so much fun on my weekends! I wish I could be at home all the time but then I'd probably miss work! I don't mind being in tbh. It's calmed down a lot from a couple of years ago.

Normal work day then for me - the day is long so I don't get much done other than the basics:
    • B/L/D from stores. Today's menu is:
      • Porridge brekkie - slurp
      • Quark with banana chips and nuts - slurp
      • L/O Quorn chicken, cauliflower and pasta cheese bake from last night - slurp
      • Beetroot brownie - slurp
      • Veggie sausages with potato and celeriac mash, veg and gravy - slurp
    • No alcohol - done
    • Charge phone in work - done
    • Probably some crochet this evening - done
    • Heating off - done
    • Turn cheese morning - done and evening - done
    • Bring in washing if it's dry - not dry
    • Continue with free online course for learning python - done
    • Day dream about how I could build a pond (I have had a marvellous idea) - a plan is formulating
    • Glued my shoe
    Have a good one all

clf x
    LBM 11/06/2010: DFD 30/04/2013
    Total repaid: £10,490.31
    Student loan repaid: 01/07/2019
    SAVINGS: £20,000
    Car final lump sum: £6113/£6113
  • 1LuckyLady
    1LuckyLady Posts: 1,206 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Morning all,

Thanks Clf, I'm fed up of my teeth (should have looked after them better when I was younger though!)
    Your weekend sounded lovely. I've made a beetroot cake years ago, I don't remember the taste of it much but I do remember the mess I made in the kitchen baking it!
    Pauper, sounds like you're having a great weekend.

Todays a lovely sunny day, I've invited us over to my parents for brunch (I'm taking some sausages/bacon/eggs that I bought on Friday when we had brunch at mine instead of out) they live by the sea & near the library so if we go there I'll get the kids out into some fresh air and as food is involved there will be less moaning about going out!
    Will pop into the little co0p to see if there is anything worth getting in the ys section, we often get heavily discounted bread, milk, fruit & veg so always worth a try when we are nearby.
    Plan to watch Oceans 13 with the kids from our stash tonight (they've watched 11 & 12 with us the last two nights) and we'll watch Oceans 8 with them tomorrow hopefully as its on Nowtv - will bribe them with a little popcorn too!
    Tonights meal is a "whatever is in the fridge and you help cook" night good way to use up and get the kids helping
    Heating off as long as possilbe - only went on for 1/2hr last night which was good

Thats about it, take care all.
    Sticking with the "Small things" thread to keep up us on the straight and narrow.
  • foxgloves
    foxgloves Posts: 11,112 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi Sunday Savers,
    Decent sunny day - fog so awful first thing on our way to Sainso's, we had to do a squealy emergency stop on the dual carriageway to avoid a lorry which pulled out in front of us. Grey fog, grey lorry & it had very small inadequate lights. Anyway....still here to put up my boring list of frugal efforts:
    *Did final grocery shop of this month's budget & came in at a surprisingly sensible amount. Used triple nectar voucher.
    *Bought double cat meat as cat's brand of choice was even cheaper than in Wilko's today.
    *Called at local Co-op to buy 2 more bags of yellow sticker wholemeal flour. Not remotely bothered it is best before end of Feb. I bake virtually all our bread myself & at 65p a bag, it's too good to miss.
    *Mr f is cooking roast pork tonight & is planning to roast the last of two weeks ago's veg to use it up. Also using batch cooked braised red cabbage & apple sauce from the freezer.
    *Really productive garden session - will save that for my dfw diary update, I think.
    *Make tomorrow's packed lunch.
    *Two baths from one lot of hot water.
    *All free leisure activity later as intend to finish my book, start its sequel, finish my blanket square & maybe cast on another.
    *Load washer for overnight laundry on the cheaper tariff. Having just received an email about price rises, & the last bill being bigger than expected even without the price rises, I'm on the warpath again re energy wastage.
    I think I'm in the zone for a good frugal week ahead.
    Let's see what we can achieve.
    F x
    "For each of our actions there are only consequences" (James Lovelock)"For in the true nature of things......every green tree is far more glorious than if it were made of gold & silver" (Martin Luther King Jnr)
  • DawnW
    DawnW Posts: 7,440 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Really foggy here this morning, but lovely and sunny later :)
    Cold now though, so toasting toes by the wood stove :D
    Went to a car boot /market this morning early (brrrr!). Bought some things to sell on, a couple of (cheap) containers for the garden and a new to me floor bucket as I dropped mine the other day and it broke :eek: It was pretty old though, at least 8 years. Actually looking at it, the replacement actually is new, and the same brand as my previous one, and only cost £1, which is far less than it would have been even in Wilko or somewhere like that. Also got bargainous bacon, nice big gammon hocks were 3 for £5, tomatoes and peppers :)
    Later went out to lunch with DS and his GF to celebrate DS's upcoming birthday. They paid, so no cost to us (we treated them last time in fact we usually pay tbf). OH and DS went out for a long walk with the dogs afterwards, I stayed behind with GF, as she broke her ankle badly back last summer and still has issues if she walks far. As I had eaten too much :o I could really have done with a long walk as well though!
  • ditty1234
    ditty1234 Posts: 2,035 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 25 February 2019 at 10:55PM
    Options
    Today was a no spending day except for parking for a quick hospital visit (pay £1.80 and walk 4 min, instead of £4.50).
    Took ugly lampshades back to Ikea.
    Kept generic Lidl car, mats instead of buying expensive fitted ones.
    Dried laundry out on the weekend.
    Managed to get new (old) car up to best MGP ever, and will car pool on Wednesday.
    Made double chili, will feed GCSE boy on Thursday.
    Visited B and M and bought cheap yoghurt snacks.
    Best to all x
    LBM Jan 2019 - £25.928/Active debt £14253, 54% sorted
    Housing fund Jan 2024 £2000/6000 36%
    EF Jan 2024 £0/1000 0% Emergency fund is for worn out things like vacuum cleaner, dish washer, and washing machine.
  • ziggy2407
    ziggy2407 Posts: 4,077 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    This thread is now closed, please join us here

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5969383
    Goodreads 2024 Challenge: 30/80
    Goodreads 2023 Challenge: 77/52

• DiscountDuck
    Options
    Hi, I’m new to this and hoping that I can make a difference to the amount I spend and build some new, better, habits with the support of a likeminded community.

So far I have -

Gone round switching off all the lights after my kids
    Diced up and frozen the celery that was going floppy in the fridge
    Diced and frozen my going soft carrots from the fridge
    Made muffins with the leftover blueberries and banana that nobody will eat
    Planted hollyhock seeds in the greenhouse that I found in a cupboard drawer, to save buying plants in spring

It feels like these are all very small things, but with the food waste I’m hoping it will help me learn to meal plan and buy more sensibly which could be bigger?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure