2019 Frugal Living Challenge

Options

Comments

• Sinkorswim - there are at least 4 things in your list that I didn't know about or hadn't thought of. That is an impressive list I will be looking to make use of.

Hettyhound - I am getting there and it has been an interesting journey. Hopefully next month I will really start to see the difference in my finances and in the waste I create (hopefully a significant reduction in the waste anyway).
    Lisa x
    Fashion on a Ration Challenge 2020 - 66 (+ 19 carried over) = 85 coupons/Spent 23.5 coupons
    Frugal Living Challenge 2020
    Make Do, Mend and Minimise 2020
  • PipneyJane
    PipneyJane Posts: 4,067 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options

...Another question for the wise on this forum. I am thinking about buying less products and one way to do that I feel is to buy products that do more than one job, for example, I buy white vinegar which I use as fabric conditioner in my wash, descaler for the kettle and shower heads, cleaning drain holes (with bicarbonate of soda as well) and to make a cleaner for the shower and kitchen sink (to get the limescale off). Are there any other pearls of wisdom out there that I could consider. Products have to be as environmentally friendly/natural as possible for me as well as I do tend to suffer from allergies and sensitive skin and I am trying to be more environmentally conscious.

The emphasis above is mine, because that line got me thinking about the production of bottles, jars and containers. I believe that it is more environmentally friendly to buy a 1L bottle of something than two 500ml bottles because the latter would incur double mechanical cost of manufacture. For example:-
    500ml bottle = 20p manufacture + 40p glass = 60p
    1 litre bottle = 20p manufacture + 80p glass = £1.00
    BUT 1 litre of product in two 500ml bottles = 40p manufacture + 80p glass = £1.20

Does that make sense? If there is a product you like and use, then buy the largest bottle/package you can store because it has an incrementally lower cost to the environment.

Anyway, to answer your real question, one of the best cleaning "products" I ever purchased was a hand-held pressure steamer. (Mine is a convertible steam mop, purchased in Lidl.) Works a charm on burnt on food on the top of the stove or in the oven and no chemicals required.

HTH.

Pip
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 66 coupons,
  • slowlyfading
    slowlyfading Posts: 13,429 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    PipneyJane wrote: »
    May I beg your recipe, please, for the granola? My breakfasts tend to be half muesli or expensive “Crunch” cereal and half bran flakes (for the fibre and to cut the cost).
    Sorry - only just saw this! I use the Food Medic's recipe for granola - really tasty :)
    Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
    Personal Finance Blogger + YouTuber / In pursuit of FIRE
  • little_green
    Options
    Sea_Shell wrote: »
    Have you looked into PayAsUGym? You can buy various vouchers without any contract or tie in. Maybe your gym is signed up?
    how does it work & is it for all gyms?
    since downgrading i'm £20/month for unlimited use at that one gym. Bc it's unlimited I try to go as often as possible which is usually 3/4 times per week so about 12-16 times per month. Thing is in the summer I would rather exercise outside than be inside hence why i'll probably just cancel my membership. I think i can cancel at any point free of charge (no notice/penalty) - Puregym.
  • Shopaholic_no_more
    Options
    Hi All

Just a quick update ...

Bulb...our energy supplier has emailed me to inform me that my monthly direct debit should be reduced to 63.00 per month for duel use as we have been paying 108.26. So, thankyou Bulb that is a saving of 45.00 a month from now on. That is for 2 of us in a 3 bed semi.

Love Bulb <3
  • Frugaldom
    Frugaldom Posts: 6,939 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 23 February 2019 at 11:20AM
    Options
    Folks seem to be doing OK here so well done to everyone sticking to their plans, congratulations on new jobs, well done beating the parking fee or fine, and I'll pretend I didn't read of unscheduled unnecessary spends, as they were admitted to on a public forum. :)

Petrol, insurance and food prices all seem to be forever increasing around here, as do the huge amounts charged for internet access and phonelines. We are part of the 1% not covered by mobile signal and not covered by superfast broadband, fibre or, indeed, mains gas, mains drainage or water mains so it is always going to be more expensive, but we have the consolation of cheap, affordable property. I have, once again, been stunned by prices! I'm not sure how rents compare... Can anyone tell me what council rent costs or are the rates different depending on location?
    I reserve the right not to spend.
    The less I spend, the more I can afford.

Frugal living challenge - living on £4000 in 2024
  • Nonnadiluca
    Options
    Re. larger bottles - I bought a 5ltr bottle of Clear and Simple shampoo from Suma which I decant into a hand soap dispenser. My thinking was that, instead of 20 x 250ml plastic bottles which would be thrown away, I would have 1 x 5ltr bottle which will be useful for other things - OH will use it for making comfrey fertilizer for the garden and allotment for example. We started using the shampoo on 16th September 2017 and there's still over half left; it was about £18 so really good value. We both use it and OH likes it because it doesn't smell of anything - he also uses it as body wash. I tried conditioner bars but wasn't keen so I bought a 5ltr bottle of conditioner as well. I buy 5ltr bottles of Ecover wul too. An added bonus is not having to think about buying these things very often.
    Fashion on the ration challenge 2023: 66 - 2 = 64 - 1.5 = 62.5
  • cuddlymarm
    cuddlymarm Posts: 1,890 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi guys
    Yesterday was a spendy day. Everything needed getting though. Loads of fruit and veg from A*di because we are doing a speed week at SW. I bought a lovely evening dress in the Xmas sales that was slightly tight but I know it’s going to fit eventually and need it in 4 weeks time and also need to get to target. I’ve spent enough on SW now, I’ve got complacent I do lose every week but could do better.
    My one day off and I seriously needed my hair cutting. Also I needed birthday cards so 20 for £2 and no chance of having to buy an expensive one locally cos I’ve run out.
    Any time for work
    Have a good day guys
    Cuddles
    🎄December 🎄 NSDs 11/15
  • Igamogam
    Igamogam Posts: 6,024 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    My only spends this week have been on parking and tolls for a trip to a hospital 'over the boarder' Not too bad as this came out of my £500 per year allocated for MISC spends and was about £7. Good news is that I dont need to go again for another 3 years :j Although we enjoyed a bit of 'culture' in the large well known gallery, we are not city people so a 3 year return suits me very well ;)

We had breakfast in an independent coffee shop recommended by a friend......what a disappointing £15 spend but thankfully money had been put aside for this in the ENTZ envelope and today I just moved that cash into the weekly shop budget which came in at almost £9 under and a fuel voucher for the next fill up....I do approx 500 per week when working so when I have a voucher I make sure I fill from empty and make sure I have 'whole' litres in the tank IYSWIM!
    Be the change you want to see -with apologies to Gandhi :o
    In gardens, beauty is a by-product. The main business is sex and death. ~Sam Llewelyn
    'On the internet no one knows you are a cat' :) ;)
  • Treasurequeen
    Treasurequeen Posts: 615 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Xmas Saver!
    edited 23 February 2019 at 4:37PM
    Options
    Ordered my dental mouthwash tabs in bulk yesterday which will last be a good 2 years. I had a £7.00 voucher to use so I got them cheaper. I use them to manage my oral planus too and they are cheaper than a prescription (I don’t pay for prescriptions but it should save nhs money as the meds they had me on costed a lot to order in). Also ordered a years worth of vitamin d tablets which I could have got on prescription but it’s cheaper to buy a bulk lot and they are starch free. These came out of my health and beauty budget.

I too buy in bulk: kitchen cleaner 2in 1 is cheaper bought in 5l containers. I also buy liquid hand wash in 5l bottles and washing up liquid in litre bottles.

Got some plants for balcony for just under £5.00 including soil. All casualty stock plants but they have all picked up and look ok now. One plant was free as it was a plant from my mums garden that self seeded. I’m growing a selection of herbs on balcony which I can dry and use in teas, lotions and cooking.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure