Early-retirement wannabe

Options

Comments

• crv1963
    crv1963 Posts: 1,372 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Sara21 wrote: »
    Thanks Anonymous101! I've heard of FIRE but haven't done any research into it, I'll definitely check out the links you've suggested - many thanks!

It does make interesting reading, the trick is IMHO to get a mix of different streams, not putting all your eggs in one basket. Reliance on one savings type reduces options.

Sara21 I suggest have a good read of several of the excellent threads, "What's Your Number" is a good one. Decide two things, how much you think you'll need and then when you want to pull the work plug. That way you can plan how to get the what, when.

Ask questions as many freely share their knowledge, test your thinking and increase your understanding. At least that was what I did, learn all the time, accept that there will be by the very nature of a forum differences of opinion. Go with what you feel is right for you.
    CRV1963- Light bulb moment Sept 15- Planning the great escape- aka retirement!
  • Anonymous101
    Options
    crv1963 wrote: »
    It does make interesting reading, the trick is IMHO to get a mix of different streams, not putting all your eggs in one basket. Reliance on one savings type reduces options.

Sara21 I suggest have a good read of several of the excellent threads, "What's Your Number" is a good one. Decide two things, how much you think you'll need and then when you want to pull the work plug. That way you can plan how to get the what, when.

Ask questions as many freely share their knowledge, test your thinking and increase your understanding. At least that was what I did, learn all the time, accept that there will be by the very nature of a forum differences of opinion. Go with what you feel is right for you.

Great advice. :cool:
  • gadgetmind
    gadgetmind Posts: 11,130 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    crv1963 wrote: »

Well, quite.

We've both just retired (me age 54 and my wife's last day is today at age 55) and it was the tax efficiency of pensions that has made this possible.

We've both taken full PCLS (though she will have more for contributions this tax year) and asset breakdown not including house is pensions 48%, ISAs 26%, cash 9% and unwrapped shares+bonds 17%. All of these are doing different jobs now, and this will slowly change over the next decade as unwrapped going into ISAs and pensions get (over!) spent before state pension comes in.

I looked at BTL, and did at times have a lot of capital, but it made far more sense to max out pensions and ISAs than to go that route.

The pension freedoms have made a *lot* of difference, particularly as we always intended to retire early and needed to bridge the gap to state pension, but the plan worked OK with caps. Just!
    I am not a financial adviser and neither do I play one on television. I might occasionally give bad advice but at least it's free.

Like all religions, the Faith of the Invisible Pink Unicorns is based upon both logic and faith. We have faith that they are pink; we logically know that they are invisible because we can't see them.
  • gallygirl
    gallygirl Posts: 17,228 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    itm2 wrote: »
    Interesting discussion re. pension freedoms. I was wondering....these freedoms are quite a new thing - until a few years ago annual pension drawdowns were limited to a state-dictated GAD rate. What are the chances that future governments will withdraw the current freedoms and return to controlling drawdown rates? - e.g. if public behaviour changes and large numbers of people start drawing down their entire pension pots and blowing it all on Caribbean cruises?

This is what worried me more than anything. I was probably mid 40's before I really had any spare cash to save and although I did whack a fair bit (by my standards and starting from 0!) into a SIPP I was concerned that as I approached my desired pension age of 55 they would suddenly change the rules.

I'd recommend you read and listen to everything you can on Financial independence Retire Early (FIRE).

https://www.choosefi.com/the-why-of-fi/

https://www.choosefi.com/financial-independence-beginners-guide/

https://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2012/01/13/the-shockingly-simple-math-behind-early-retirement/

Hopefully you'll find them interesting and useful.

I so wish I'd had access to all this in my 20's......... :o

But I have to say btl has worked for me. Mr GG and I invested in btl as he had a cracking pension from his employer and as I only had 10 years or so before I wanted to start drawing on a pension I thought it was too short a timescale to risk investing heavily. We were in a cheap housing area, with equally cheap rents, and whacked what we could off our own mortgage every month from excess rental income. (I may also have made ad hoc payments e.g. 50p when I used a money off voucher :o).

We managed to retire overseas at 53 and my son mainly manages the properties for a small amount. The mortgage free properties pay our monthly expenses, Mr GG pays for holidays and his expensive sporting habits :p and mine........ well it hurts to withdraw any and pay tax on it but I intend to draw on it for additional splurges :D. The lump sum got put to good use :).

Now though I advise my kids to whack into their pensions and open ISA's etc rather than look at btl's and I encourage others to do the same. The days of wine & roses are over as far as btl is concerned I think. Still, doing anything is better than doing nothing.
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    :) Mortgage Balance = £0 :)
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
  • gadgetmind
    Options
    gallygirl wrote: »
    I only had 10 years or so before I wanted to start drawing on a pension I thought it was too short a timescale to risk investing heavily.

That's a reasonable argument for not using a pension as the usual portfolio of equities+bonds+commercial-property isn't that friendly to a 10 year horizon if you plan to flog the lot and go for an annuity at the end.

Of course, drawdown changes the picture a little as it presents ongoing income in just the same way as BTL.

My portfolios take about as much maintenance as an Easter Island statue, and I'm happy with them, particularly as the pension ones were tax positive on the way in.
    I am not a financial adviser and neither do I play one on television. I might occasionally give bad advice but at least it's free.

Like all religions, the Faith of the Invisible Pink Unicorns is based upon both logic and faith. We have faith that they are pink; we logically know that they are invisible because we can't see them.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    But I have to say btl has worked for me. Mr GG and I invested in btl as he had a cracking pension from his employer and as I only had 10 years or so before I wanted to start drawing on a pension I thought it was too short a timescale to risk investing heavily. We were in a cheap housing area, with equally cheap rents, and whacked what we could off our own mortgage every month from excess rental income. (I may also have made ad hoc payments e.g. 50p when I used a money off voucher :o).

Timing is everything. Always be winners and losers. Life is a rollercoaster at the best of times. For many relationship breakdown is the cause of a fundamental change in personal finance. Divorce lost/cost me 5 years of my working life.
  • gallygirl
    gallygirl Posts: 17,228 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Thrugelmir wrote: »
    Timing is everything. Always be winners and losers. Life is a rollercoaster at the best of times. For many relationship breakdown is the cause of a fundamental change in personal finance. Divorce lost/cost me 5 years of my working life.
    Yup, that's what b*ggered me up. Oh, plus him stopping maintenance.

I've been retired almost four years.

He's over three years older than me and still working.

'He who laughs last lasts longest'.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.

:D
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    :) Mortgage Balance = £0 :)
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
  • Terron
    Terron Posts: 846 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Now though I advise my kids to whack into their pensions and open ISA's etc rather than look at btl's and I encourage others to do the same. The days of wine & roses are over as far as btl is concerned I think. Still, doing anything is better than doing nothing.

BTL is doing very well for me. It depends on the area I think.
    I have a former home in Reading and the price and rent has fallen recently. I am looking to sell it whilst there won't be any tax.

But most of my properties are east og Manchester and rents and prices are rising.
  • HardCoreProgrammer
    Options
    Just to say, I personally think that the FIRE people are pretentious (1) and what they say is not believable (2). I am surprised that the press is fawning over them and no one scrutinising their affairs.

Take this as an example: https://www.theguardian.com/money/2018/nov/20/can-anyone-retire-in-their-30s-meet-the-people-who-say-yes

(1)
    "He tells his adherents, no matter how much they are earning, that they should aim to save and invest half their income."
    What if you are on minimum wage? What if you are renting in London? Rent (unless you house share), council tax, utilities alone would eat up the bulk of a typical London salary.

"The tools and techniques of Fire are needed more by low-income people – to avoid them being !!!!ed over by the system."
    What on earth are you talking about? Low-income people do that day by day, just to survive, not to "avoid being !!!!ed over by the system".

And the people listed in the article are on 75k, 90k. They are NOT typical UK salaries!

(2) "The Financial Independence, Retire Early (Fire) movement originated in the US ..."
    Sorry many such stories from the US are porkies. Think of the Beardstown ladies investment club, for example.
    How can someone not on investment bankers salary, with student loans (they are massive in the US) to pay back, earn enough to retire after working for 10 years? If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, ...
  • gadgetmind
    Options
    "He tells his adherents, no matter how much they are earning, that they should aim to save and invest half their income."
    What if you are on minimum wage?

Agreed. Someone in that position should first be investing *heavily* in their skill set. And if they really will be on minimum wage forever [shudder!] then state pension will cover a lot of their needs so they just need to save enough to retire a few years early and help a bit with "replacement".
    And the people listed in the article are on 75k, 90k. They are NOT typical UK salaries!
    Is that in dollars? I paid fresh grads $80k in the US and over $100k for top ones. Salaries are higher but they have to go further due to high costs of insurance, rent, education, etc.
    How can someone not on investment bankers salary, with student loans (they are massive in the US) to pay back, earn enough to retire after working for 10 years? If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, ...
    I take your point, but I had colleagues earning more than me who were continuously "penniless" due to flash cars, multiple skiing holidays per year, etc. They were also doing minimum into pension (least required to get full company contribution) even though this took them into 60%/45% brackets, because they needed this income for their lifestyle.

I ensured I never went higher than 40% (other than during my utterly crazy last year of work!) and salted away enough that I would retire at 54 when the !!!! hit the fan at the end of that year.

I don't hold myself up as an example of FIRE, not at all, but the principle of saving hard, not having an expensive lifestyle, and retiring while you're young enough to enjoy it, is really what this thread is about.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback