Wrong metre installed with a smart metre

Hi,
I live in a block of flats and I went to check my gas metre which is situated on the side of the building only to discover that a smart metre had been installed without my knowledge. My fear is that another flat either thinks this metre is theirs. I have checked the reference number of the gas metre and it matches the one on record with my energy suppler. My main concern is if I ask my energy suppler to investigate and it isn’t my metre do I have to pay what could be a very large bill? Hi
Help?
Thank you, noseinbookgirl.

Comments

• Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,100 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    A smart meter is performing the same task as the one it replaced - to record your consumption. There is no difference in the charges associated with that consumption.

You have checked the details of the meter against your bill and it agrees - therefore its your meter.

Even thought its Smart - read your meter and check your bills.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 21 February 2019 at 9:42AM
    Hi,
    I live in a block of flats and I went to check my gas metre which is situated on the side of the building only to discover that a smart metre had been installed without my knowledge. My fear is that another flat either thinks this metre is theirs. I have checked the reference number of the gas metre and it matches the one on record with my energy suppler. My main concern is if I ask my energy suppler to investigate and it isn’t my metre do I have to pay what could be a very large bill? Hi
    Help?
    Thank you, noseinbookgirl.
    have you done a "gas cooker/boiler on and off test then watch the meter to see if the units advance then stop when the gas appliances are switched off Best if two people on the mobile perform this together .
    Even though the meter serial matches yours on the bill , in blocks of flats there can be meter mix ups in when they re initially registered.
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    With a gas kettle?
  • Gas meters should have an emergency shut off handle, if you pull this and after a little while don't have any gas it's yours.

Or you could do it the other way around and while your neighbour is out turn your heating on and see if the registers change
  • Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    my gas metre which is situated on the side of the building only to discover that a smart metre had been installed without my knowledge.

It is not your meter (and please meter ;-) ).

Gas meter changes require the confimed turn of and re-commision of the gas system. There is no way it can be your meter unless someone else lives with you and let them in.

If the new meter is now registered on your mprn which is for the right address then there is a crossed meter situation. Is is a new(ish) block of flats? It could be many many multiple crossed meters. Check your electric too while you are at it! This is very common in flats.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 21 February 2019 at 10:40AM
    Gas meters should have an emergency shut off handle, if you pull this and after a little while don't have any gas it's yours.

Or you could do it the other way around and while your neighbour is out turn your heating on and see if the registers change
    I would nt advise shutting the control valve off and on .If its someone elses meter you could have shut appliances off then back on with appliances then pumping out gas
  • dogshome
    dogshome Posts: 3,877 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    My bet is that 'your' Gas meter has always been mis-registered, and the new Smart meter is just carrying on the error.

As already posted, a meter change is not just a change it and walk away process, checks have to made within the household.

Unless you already have an existing Smart Elec meter, the Smart Gas meter cannot communicate it's readings to the supplier.

Report this 'Phantom' Smart meter to your supplier, and if the block is not too big. knock on neighbors doors and ask if they have recently opted for a Smart meter change.
  • Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    dogshome wrote: »
    Unless you already have an existing Smart Elec meter, the Smart Gas meter cannot communicate it's readings to the supplier.
    /QUOTE]

Yews, also this. Though smart gas only solutions are being trialed currently. Though just for business as far as I know. But should trickle down to domestic once sorted out.
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,100 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Carrot007 wrote: »

Yews, also this. Though smart gas only solutions are being trialed currently. Though just for business as far as I know. But should trickle down to domestic once sorted out.

I've had two Smart meters in business premises for 4 years - both have a remote battery pack/transmitter, one is several metres away from the meter itself. Originally supplied by Gazprom now Total Gas and Power. The Smart function was retained by the new supplier.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport