Intimidation at work

My partner works for a small building company. They have a company who comes in on a regular basis and for a long time it has been thought that this team have been taking lots of stuff from the yard. The partner started watching them and this had lead to confrontations were one of them pushed him

The management are aware and have had "chats" with the company, but they are still coming in. Today one stood glaring at my partner and when he was asked what the problem is, he threatened to break my partners jaw, he repeated it in the showroom.

Management have asked the team not to bring that individual in again, but nothing else.

Where do we go next? He loves his job and doesn't want to leave.

They have been caught putting extra on their truck, but claimed it was an accident.

Comments

• It is now a management issue. I would suggest your partner stays out of the way when they arrive and not antagonise them.

If the company wants to continue working with thieves who threaten violence that’s their problem. He just needs to stay the heck out of it
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,366
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Forumite
    Exactly as stated above. Your partner has reported the problem, or if he hasn't he needs to. Beyond that it is not his problem. Let the management sort things out, and keep well out of the way when these people appear.
  • ohreally
    ohreally Posts: 7,525
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Report to police and prosecute a grievance with the employer.
    Don’t be a can’t, be a can.
  • KatrinaWaves
    KatrinaWaves Posts: 2,944
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    edited 22 February 2019 at 8:48PM
    ohreally wrote: »
    Report to police and prosecute a grievance with the employer.

Report what?

In both instances it appears the OPs partner ‘started it’ by confronting in some way over the ‘additional extras’ when clearly management couldn’t care less. It wasn’t his place to take them to task over that.

Similarly, when he was being glared at, instead of ignoring him he asked what his problem was, a clear initiation of an argument knowing the history. He should have just stayed out of it, again.

There is no point reporting it to the police: it’s clearly a two way problem

There is no point at raising a grievance: they asked to keep the other person away Once the confrontation escalated to threats but they want to keep using the company, they are allowed to do that. OP needs to accept that and get on with it
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,366
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Forumite
    Report what?

If threats of violence have been made, and repeated, and there are witnesses who are prepared to back up the OP's partner, then there is certainly potentially something to report to police.

The big question is whether or not anybody within the company would be prepared to stand up against what sounds like a fairly unsavoury bunch.
  • TELLIT01 wrote: »
    If threats of violence have been made, and repeated, and there are witnesses who are prepared to back up the OP's partner, then there is certainly potentially something to report to police.

The big question is whether or not anybody within the company would be prepared to stand up against what sounds like a fairly unsavoury bunch.

On just the OP’s version of evens it seems like it’s a tit for tat exchange with them, potentially instigated in both instances by the OPs partner. It doesn’t excuse the threats but it seems like an escalating issue which the company doesn’t want to address. There are a few reasons I’m thinking they don’t want to cause a fuss, most of them not very PC to post here but I live in a rural area where such issues are sadly fairly common..
  • Les79
    Les79 Posts: 1,337 Forumite
    edited 22 February 2019 at 10:00PM
    Report what?

The intimidation and the threat of violence/physical harm.
    In both instances it appears the OPs partner ‘started it’ by confronting in some way over the ‘additional extras’ when clearly management couldn’t care less. It wasn’t his place to take them to task over that.
    Well, that's a bit of a fine line really...

If OP's partner had observed this as part of their normal day to day duties then they didn't "start" anything.... They were doing their job and uncovered a fraud. In many places they could get in trouble by NOT reporting it to management.

If OP's partner has gathered further evidence after uncovering the fraud then, whilst commendable in one respect, it is probably against policy; inform management and let them carry out their investigations.

Of course, there is also the possibility that OP's partner IS MANAGEMENET in some way and had the authority to investigate further.

Lots of variables and too many for me to confidently pin any fault on OP's partner here....

Ultimately, this situation would never have arisen if fraud wasn't taking place; so in that respect OP's partner NEVER "started it".

None of the above excuses poor behaviour in response, by the way. Literally none of it.

Similarly, when he was being glared at, instead of ignoring him he asked what his problem was, a clear initiation of an argument knowing the history. He should have just stayed out of it, again.
    Not everyone is a wet blanket in a confrontation. Fight or flight response. Glaring is a pretty aggressive behaviour and I can't really fault OP's partner for responding in such a manner. Just because you'd tuck tail and run doesn't mean others have to follow suit.
    There is no point reporting it to the police: it’s clearly a two way problem
    Sounds like a one-way problem to me. Fraudsters getting aggressive with someone merely because they uncovered their scam. Said person standing up to them.

Pretty bad how you call it a two-way problem like! Maybe if someone robs your house tonight and you stare at them from the top of the stairs and, when they see you and give you abuse, you tell them "get out" (in nastier language) and then you post about the ordeal on your local FB group page (or on here; not as funny trolling on MSE :D - I JOKE) and there's me replying with "well, this is a two way problem really because you aggravated them" and then me having to post that little fishing rod + fish emoji when the backlash hits me. Not an identical example like, but sort of similar.

There is no point at raising a grievance: they asked to keep the other person away Once the confrontation escalated to threats but they want to keep using the company, they are allowed to do that. OP needs to accept that and get on with it
    Indeed. Now is the time for OP's partner to wash their hands of the situation, the bosses have the info and they can do as they so wish.

I wouldn't raise a grievance per se, but I would potentially request a meeting with the bosses and clarify what their thoughts are. It may be that this company are the only suppliers etc and they are needed, so clarification may help OP to know when the employer wants them to turn a blind eye etc.
  • The OP clearly states the company are aware and have had words. OPs partner isn’t management. I’m not trying to ‘pin fault’ and I’m not trying to say that threats are ever okay, they are not, but at the moment the only person who has an issue with this company taking the mick is OPs partner, and he isn’t a decision making authority. The decision making authority have either turned a blind eye, don’t care, or get enough business from this company that they don’t mind them being a bit generous with their loading. Heck maybe they even charge them sufficient that even with the bumping they’re making plenty of money regardless.

The partner should have told management their concerns and then stayed out of it. Not got into a confrontation which had shoving, nor rising to someone ‘glaring’ at them. If someone was glaring at me at work I admittedly would probably leave the area, especially if a previous confrontation had ended up with shoving and my management didn’t really do anything about it. If that makes me a wet blanket, then fine, but so far no one has threatened to break my jaw (in earshot anyway)

I don’t think it’s unfair for me to say that it’s a 2 way issue. The police will absolutely see this as an argument that went too far, which is what it is. They are not going to take action over someone making a threat of violence in a heated situation which has in some way been perpetuated by the other party. They would never stop if that was the case!
  • debsue
    debsue Posts: 467 Forumite
    Thank ypu for all your replies. Management have now sorted it by asking the company not to come in again. x
  • ohreally
    ohreally Posts: 7,525
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Were the individuals of a protected ethnic origin?

Report what?

Assault and threatening behaviour.
    Don’t be a can’t, be a can.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills