Google Play, Roblox (crap), ingame currency, Google Family Tree (RANT!)

Hi Guys,

This is more of a moan, but also a warning to other parents to stop you wasting money on Google Play vouchers. After a very stressful evening, which resulted in a crying 10 year old (yes over in game currency) a nagging wife, and a very very !!!!ed off Step Dad (me! lol) i thought i would post here to warn others if they were unaware.

So my step son, is completely addicted to buying in game currency, or CRAP! as i like to call it. If the game has in-game currency he wants it, from V-Bucks on Fortnite, to fishing currency on some free game he has downloaded on the Playstation he wants it. It's a complete waste of money so we do not allow it..... but....

Birthday and Christmas money from his Dad's side of the family we have no say over, so the latest money sink for this 10 year old is 'Roblox, or Robux'? Personally i call it Ro!!!!!!!!! as that's what it is, bloody game developers getting children addicted to wanting or feeling they NEED this in-game currency, it's like getting them addicted to gambling (i'm a recovering gambler i know exactly what it's like) anyway i divert lol

So he comes home yesterday with a £25 Google Play voucher, and wants to redeem it so he can buy 'Ro!!!!!!!!' we hesitate and explain hes just wasted his money but it's up to him, just this first block of us telling him he's wasted his money caused tears, but we agreed he could use it for his game.

Now we use Google Family Tree, as we're responsible adults who like to know what our 10 and 8 year olds are up to and restrict their content etc so because of this Google would not allow him to redeem the voucher to his gmail, i needed to add it to the family account. Which i did.

Now unfortunately i did not know that you can not use Google Play Balance as the family tree payment, that payment method needs to be a debit or credit card. Neither of which me or partner have, we have card's but we block them for online use (because of my previous gambling addiction) and have no intention of unblocking them.

So now i have a £25 balance on google, which i will never use, a moaning 10 year old as he has no 'ro!!!!!!!!' and a nagging wife because she thinks i stole her son's Birthday Money (lol!) I've found a way i can use Paypal to buy his stuff this evening but its still very annoying!

So a bit of a rant, but more of a warning if you have Google Family Tree, DO NOT USE Top Up Vouchers, as it seems you can NOT use your Google Balance to buy add on's etc only a Debit or Credit card.

Comments

• OP, not my game and I don't use family tree, but I regularly use Google balance for in game purchases - maybe it's just that game. I occasionally get vouchers, but more often than that it's the pennies from Google surveys that I save up to buy bits and bobs in game.
  • Forwandert
    Forwandert Posts: 1,211 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    You can use Google play vouchers to spend on robux. We occasionally purchase them but the kids accounts aren't set up for purchases at all now. The way to do it is to add the voucher to your account , download the app to your account, log in as them and purchase the robux. Then they are available on their app.
  • Madfool
    Madfool Posts: 53 Forumite
    Forwandert wrote: »
    You can use Google play vouchers to spend on robux. We occasionally purchase them but the kids accounts aren't set up for purchases at all now. The way to do it is to add the voucher to your account , download the app to your account, log in as them and purchase the robux. Then they are available on their app.

I will give this ago tonight, will save me a lot of grief lol

Will thsi work if i download the app to my laptop? or do i need to do it on their tablet?
  • Browniez
    Browniez Posts: 16 Forumite
    Tablet would be better.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills