Options
13»

Comments

• durali
    durali Posts: 71 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi again,
    I read for myself the CAG link that's been posted. Reading the inuendo and between the lines it does seem that money was paid.
  • durali
    Options
    Also re the time bars. It is older than 6 years but not the three years as I've just found out now about claiming back.
    I'm not to au fait with all this and obviously not as experienced in these matters as you members/posters.
    Many thanks
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,818 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    durali wrote: »
    Also re the time bars. It is older than 6 years but not the three years as I've just found out now about claiming back.
    I'm not to au fait with all this and obviously not as experienced in these matters as you members/posters.
    Many thanks

The 3 years doesn't start from when you feel like it, it's 3 years from the point where you knew (or could reasonably have known) you had cause for complaint. You cannot (by law) just decide the 3 years started when you made this post, the point would have been in 2006 when the OFT case was in

The CAG forum assumes the cases win without any evidence. They also tell you to sue your bank for the charges - if you wish to risk your money on a court case then so be it.
  • durali
    edited 20 February 2019 at 3:41PM
    Options
    Thanks again,
    I'm not sure what would be classed as reasonable. I have genuinely not known anything about Credit Card or Bank charges. Only PPI which you would need to be sleeping/living under a rock to not know about that.
    While looking up ppi I found out about bank/credit card.
    If I sent one letter to my bank/s to enquire that's not suing is it?
    ps. I'll be starting to ask about Bank Charges in a new thread.
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,818 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks again,
    I'm not sure what would be classed as reasonable. I have genuinely not known anything about Credit Card or Bank charges. Only PPI which you would need to be sleeping/living under a rock to not know about that.
    While looking up ppi I found out about bank/credit card.
    If I sent one letter to my bank/s to enquire that's not suing is it?

The OFT case in 2006 was big news, if you were an adult with card charges at the time it's not unreasonable to have expected you to know about them. Equally, if the banks sent you letters explaining the charges (which all of them did), that could also trigger it.

Sending a latter isn't suing no but the CAG guys approach is to sue the bank if/when they refuse to refund the old card charges and hope the bank pays out rather than fighting it.
  • Bermonia
    Bermonia Posts: 977 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Also every time you received a charge on your statement would in essence have been deemed that you had cause to complain if you were not happy with the charges/amount - as such the three years has certainly passed.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I read for myself the CAG link that's been posted. Reading the inuendo and between the lines it does seem that money was paid.
    Innuendo?

You are simply selectively reading what you want to believe I'm afraid.
    Don't bother, historical bank charges are not reclaimable either...

Do update THIS thread with how you get on though...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure