Electricity standing Charge

I am considering changing my electricity provider. My supply currently has 2 meters- one at Standard Tarriff and the other on Restricted Hours. EDF have said that I could switch to them and continue to pay different tariffs for each meter but I would have to pay 2 Standing Charges, one for each meter, resulting in a bill of an extra £75 per year. Is this normal? Could I ask to pay the same tariff (higher) for both meters and only pay one standing charge?

Comments

• wavelets
    wavelets Posts: 1,164 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    kenpat wrote: »
    I am considering changing my electricity provider. My supply currently has 2 meters- one at Standard Tarriff and the other on Restricted Hours. EDF have said that I could switch to them and continue to pay different tariffs for each meter but I would have to pay 2 Standing Charges, one for each meter, resulting in a bill of an extra £75 per year. Is this normal? Could I ask to pay the same tariff (higher) for both meters and only pay one standing charge?

It is not advisable to attempt to change your electricity supplier with your type of metering.

To achieve your goals of both changing suppplier and paying only 1 lot of standing charges, get your supplier to change your metering :)

Your supplier will probably charge you for this, and any changes to the wiring and appliances within your home will be your responsibilty.

If you do not own your home, you will need the permission of the landlord to do all this.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    But you also have to factor in the potential benefits of the lower tariff.

If you use any significant KWs duing the low-rate period that might off-set the cost of the standing charge, or might outwegh the benefit of moving to a single rate with another supplier.

Some complex maths involved looking at all the variables......
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure