Pension or House Deposit?

Options

Comments

• michaels
    michaels Posts: 28,004 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    New car is nice and shiny and all - but if the alternative option is for both of you to retire 5 years earlier I know which I would choose.....
    I think....
  • GunJack
    GunJack Posts: 11,673 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    michaels wrote: »
    New car is nice and shiny and all - but if the alternative option is for both of you to retire 5 years earlier I know which I would choose.....

beat me to it.... OP, get to the Bangernomics thread on the Motoring board...cars actually cost peanuts ;)
    ......Gettin' There, Wherever There is......

I have a dodgy "i" key, so ignore spelling errors due to "i" issues, ...I blame Apple :D
  • k6chris
    k6chris Posts: 738 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Edmond wrote: »

The catch is that we'd be giving up the bigger house and the new car that we wanted - I'll have to work on convincing my wife to make do for another 6 years!

Welcome to the real world.....
    "For every complicated problem, there is always a simple, wrong answer"
  • crv1963
    crv1963 Posts: 1,372 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It is all about choices! I did bangernomics for years, cheap car full service, mot and insurance= £1k= £20pw plus petrol! Scrap or repeat depending on next MOT!

House start smaller- build up!

You have to do what you can afford and not overstretch!
    CRV1963- Light bulb moment Sept 15- Planning the great escape- aka retirement!
  • atush
    atush Posts: 18,726 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I buy cars that are 1-2 years old with warrenties.

Newish, but dont depreciate as badly.
  • Anonymous101
    Anonymous101 Posts: 1,869 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 7 August 2018 at 10:40AM
    Options
    You can't come onto a pensions saving board saying you're "to the bone" and can't afford to save into a pension and then talk about buying new cars.

You need to get your priorities straight. Cars that are 2,3 or 5 years old are perfectly adequate. If you choose to spend your money on a new car rather than looking after yourself in retirement then more fool you.
  • Triumph13
    Triumph13 Posts: 1,730 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    You can't come onto a pensions saving board saying you're "to the bone" and can't afford to save into a pension and then talk about buying new cars.
    Oh yes you can. But if you do you can expect copious abuse :rotfl:
    You need to get your priorities straight. Cars that are 2,3 or 5 years old are perfectly adequate. If you choose to spend your money on a new car rather than looking after yourself if retirement then more fool you.
    They sound a bit new to me - I just replaced by 17 year old Volvo with an 11 year old one. Retiring at 52 is worth a lot more to me than shiny new(ish) cars.
  • swindiff
    swindiff Posts: 864 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Newshound!
    Options
    atush wrote: »
    I buy cars that are 1-2 years old with warrenties.

Newish, but dont depreciate as badly.

Just bought a 1 year old Citroen C1 furio for the wife, who is about to go back into the NHS funnily enough. 4000 miles on it, looks like a brand new car. £6300. It therefore cost the 1st owner about £5k for 1 years ownership and 4000 miles motoring :shocked:
  • Anonymous101
    Anonymous101 Posts: 1,869 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Triumph13 wrote: »

They sound a bit new to me - I just replaced by 17 year old Volvo with an 11 year old one. Retiring at 52 is worth a lot more to me than shiny new(ish) cars.

:D

Agree. 11 years old is much better. I have to have a car that's less than 6 in order to comply with my employers car allowance policy. If I didn't I'd be driving around in a 10 year old + car too and would prob be retiring even earlier. You can't put a price on your financial freedom.
  • atush
    atush Posts: 18,726 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Triumph13 wrote: »

My husband replaced his 17 yr old car with a 3 yr oldvone. Not as frugal as you, but not frivolous either
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure