Diesel Particulate Filter

Comments

• Trebor16
    Trebor16 Posts: 3,061 Forumite
    Flyboy152 wrote: »
    But a new DPF would only cost you about four hundred pounds.

And that is the cost of a DPF for all cars?
    "You should know not to believe everything in media & polls by now !"

John539 2-12-14 Post 15030
  • taffy056
    taffy056 Posts: 4,895 Forumite
    Okay forgot to update this thread and the outcome, took it to a garage and the oxygen sensor needing changing, that done its been perfect ever since. It appears to re-generating fine now, thanks for the advice .
    Excel Parking, MET Parking, Combined Parking Solutions, VP Parking Solutions, ANPR PC Ltd, & Roxburghe Debt Collectors. What do they all have in common?
    They are all or have been suspended from accessing the DVLA database for gross misconduct!
    Do you really need to ask what kind of people run parking companies?
  • andy8442
    andy8442 Posts: 200 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Am I correct in thinking Mazda use VW diesel engines?

VW have had massive problems with their DPF's, (not that they'd admit to it obviously) but if you search the web a bit you will find plenty of VW owners with problems. A whole industry has now sprouted up of ECU re-programmers who will switch the DPF off. Shame they were'nt around a few years ago when I had problems with my T5. I eventually sold it, it just drove me mad.
  • Johnmcl7
    Johnmcl7 Posts: 2,816 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    andy8442 wrote: »

VW have had massive problems with their DPF's, (not that they'd admit to it obviously) but if you search the web a bit you will find plenty of VW owners with problems. A whole industry has now sprouted up of ECU re-programmers who will switch the DPF off. Shame they were'nt around a few years ago when I had problems with my T5. I eventually sold it, it just drove me mad.

I know Mitsubishi are currently using the VW 2.0 TDI engine (although it's the CR version rather than the old PD engine, the newer engine has less trouble with the DPF so far due to a better design) but I didn't think Mazda were.

John
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    andy8442 wrote: »

They used to be part of the Ford group of companies, so more likely Ford than VW.
  • cepheus
    cepheus Posts: 20,053 Forumite
    edited 21 January 2012 at 8:31PM
    Tampering with emission equipment is illegal because it will probably fail to meet the type appoval standard the vehicle was approved to. This is nothing to do with MOTs which are very basic tests, or VOSA who are ignorant or not interested. The law obviously turns a blind eye to the refitting or removal organisations. See this link
    "From: dft.gsi.gov.uk
    Sent: 25 February 2011 14:06
    To: Jeebowhite
    Subject: FW: Vehicle Roadworthiness Question regarding Diesel Particulate Filter

Under Regulation 61A of the Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986, it is an offence to use a car on the road that has been modified and, as a result of the modification, does not meet the emissions requirement that applied to it when new. This is likely to be the case if a diesel particulate filter is removed. A copy of Regulation 61A is attached for information.

http://www.peugeotforums.com/forums/general-discussion-2/dpf-removal-illegal-uk-13700/

Ignore what it says later, they do reduce Particulate in use. That is why they are fitted, these are regulated over a driving cycle. Fiddling with the ECU will also seriously mess up the other important emissions such as NOx and is also illegal, but not to the extent they will fail the MOT which measures only CO HC and smoke.

Whether the Dft will be arsed to do anything such as shut down illegal refitters or check the presence of tampering, I very much doubt it. They will just accept ever more stringent EU type approval regulations which adds cost to the vehicle and the rest of us pay through our health and taxes via EU fines for non-compliance of air quality standards.
    The government's failure to meet EU standards on air pollution is "putting the health of UK residents at risk", says the Environmental Audit Committee.
    Bad air quality costs the nation £8.5-20bn per year via poor health, it says, and can cut life expectancy by years. Continued failure to meet EU standards could result in swingeing fines.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-15693627

Then everyone will wonder why city air is getting no cleaner and come up with idiot schemes like this.
  • taffy056
    taffy056 Posts: 4,895 Forumite
    But look at the response to the thread from one of the users #12

Originally Posted by chopper1192
    That is incorrect.

In all likelyhood, the HDi's would all pass the Type Approval emissions test re particulate emissions, which is currently set at 0.005% for Euro 5 (and 0.0025 for the forthcoming Euro 6 compliant) motors. This is actually quite a generous limit, and the HDi's are all naturally very clean engines, especially when new, and I would deem it quite likely any given HDi would pass without the filter...the same way the current DV4 HDi 90's without the filter already do with ease. The DV6 is essentially the same motor, but bigger and thermally even more efficient.

The DPF does not regulate particulate emissions while driving to any significant extent - it mainly prevents the big 'cough' of soot on start up, which it catches and burns off as the zorst reaches the proper temperature. A running engines particulate emissions are ultimately governed by it's design and efficiency, not the DPF.

DfT man is simply quoting the party line, with no actual facts or reasoning to back it up.

It's on a Ford site, which is hardly the place I'd go looking for info about anything, including Fords!

Can the title of the thread please be edited, so the gullible don't spot it and take that as gospel?
    Excel Parking, MET Parking, Combined Parking Solutions, VP Parking Solutions, ANPR PC Ltd, & Roxburghe Debt Collectors. What do they all have in common?
    They are all or have been suspended from accessing the DVLA database for gross misconduct!
    Do you really need to ask what kind of people run parking companies?
  • cepheus
    cepheus Posts: 20,053 Forumite
    edited 22 January 2012 at 4:29PM
    What you must understand is that every emission can't be taken in isolation. If you do something to reduce one eg. NOx you increase Particulate and vice versa. It is easy to meet the limit for one or the other after adjusting the ECU, but very difficult to get both within their respective limits together without a trap.

If there is no point in using a trap it is most unlikely the manufacturer would use one, they would reduce profit margins, gain a bad reputation for reliability and increase fuel consumption slightly.

If the emission equipment is tampered with it is up to the tamperer to show the vehicle can pass the test, and of course in the unlikely event it could, they couldn't afford to prove this anyway. Besides the question in this thread doesn't refer to that engine.

For the time being all this is rather academic assuming you don't care about air pollution, since no-one will know. Of course the risk is that they subsequently introduce a tampering check at the MOT.
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    This debate is interesting because my car has a DPF and it's the first diesel car I have had that doesn't smell like one, if you get my drift. It never, ever smokes and the exhaust smells like the exhaust from a gas boiler. Not a trace of nasty diesellyness in it. Unless there is something else in the system, I'm inclined to believe that the DPF is responsible for the innocuous smell. i.e. It's doing more than just stopping smoke.
  • Flyboy152
    Flyboy152 Posts: 17,118 Forumite
    taffy056 wrote: »
    But look at the response to the thread from one of the users #12

Originally Posted by chopper1192
    That is incorrect.

In all likelyhood, the HDi's would all pass the Type Approval emissions test re particulate emissions, which is currently set at 0.005% for Euro 5 (and 0.0025 for the forthcoming Euro 6 compliant) motors. This is actually quite a generous limit, and the HDi's are all naturally very clean engines, especially when new, and I would deem it quite likely any given HDi would pass without the filter...the same way the current DV4 HDi 90's without the filter already do with ease. The DV6 is essentially the same motor, but bigger and thermally even more efficient.

The DPF does not regulate particulate emissions while driving to any significant extent - it mainly prevents the big 'cough' of soot on start up, which it catches and burns off as the zorst reaches the proper temperature. A running engines particulate emissions are ultimately governed by it's design and efficiency, not the DPF.

DfT man is simply quoting the party line, with no actual facts or reasoning to back it up.

It's on a Ford site, which is hardly the place I'd go looking for info about anything, including Fords!

Can the title of the thread please be edited, so the gullible don't spot it and take that as gospel?

But that is only one person's opinion. I would rather believe what the law says.
    The greater danger, for most of us, lies not in setting our aim too high and falling short; but in setting our aim too low and achieving our mark
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure