NST - Achievable August

Options

Comments

• Tropically
    Tropically Posts: 427 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The gladiolas in my garden are blooming so wonderfully. I had some lilies about to bloom but the heat burned the buds. No mind. I need to focus on my new marriage. I need to support my partner in times of stress. He does so much for me, and right now I am burdening him with a lot as we move abroad to be nearer to my family.

Aim – for 15 NSD’s this month. I can do this. I am eating a potato salad at my desk right now. I shall not spend.

Update (Budgets) – This is mandatory as it is my last month in the UK for a while. I feel a bit sick looking at moving expenses but I am determined. My wedding was slightly over budget. I am waiting for the refund of a couple of deposits, but at the moment I am £1,131.59 over budget. If I were to get back all my deposit, I would only be £131.59 and so I am trying to recoup some wedding costs and get on budget. I know it seems like a small amount to be overbudget, but my wedding was not MSE at all.

Get (prepared for Xmas) – Luckily I have a separate account where I put money away every month to save for Christmas. There is a big question of where I am spending it.

Utilise (free activities in your area) - Will do!! There are so many amazing free activities near me, it would be a shame not to.

Share (money saving tips) – My moneysaving tip of the week is to use the Olio app to identify people that are giving away free food in your area. At the end of the month, I will be putting everything in my cupboard on Olio and there are many other people doing the same. You don't have to be broke or needy to use it. Just be kind and show up when you tell someone you will. Secondly, look for Foodcycle events near your area. They give you a free meal using food that would otherwise go to waste. It also helps with social isolation. You can also volunteer and then you get free food that way as well.

Treat (yourself) – Will do! I will save this for later though. I don't need it on day 1.
    Mortgage started at £318,000 in June 2016. Original MF - 2041 :eek:
    2nd Property Mortgage at £275,000. Mortgage free: 2049 :eek:
    Total OPs: £29529
  • Calling14
    Calling14 Posts: 3,498 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Will sort my budgets out and check in properly tomorrow. Catch up then turtles x
    LBM 13039 1.1.13 Now £0 Finally Debt FreeMortgage free Oct 2019:)EFund/savings £25000 10/11/22
  • f0xh0les
    f0xh0les Posts: 6,876 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    I'm back!! Got home at 10.30 this morning, so count me in for August please.

Just jiggling and juggling money about today - will post later.
    4/10/22One Year Mortgage Free Yay!
    NSTurtle # 55 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢🐢🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 No Turtle gets left behind.[/b]
    ******PROUD MEMBER OF THE TOFU EATING COALITION OF CHAOS !!!******
  • Toni'sfriend
    Toni'sfriend Posts: 4,034 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 1 August 2018 at 5:12PM
    Options
    Afternoon Turtles.

Hope you have all had a good first day. So progress so far.

Work on - Still plugging away at the skin care, etc. I do actually have lots of unused potions, perfumes etc so it's not costing me any money yet and probably won't for quite a while. Not really done anything about family yet but I have spent a nice afternoon with himself watching old films.

Aim - First NSD. Didn't venture out.

Update (Budgets) - Phoned Virgin and after four minutes of pressing buttons got through to the right department only to be told to call back later because they were too busy. Guess I'm not the only one who's a very annoyed about the change in channels. I also cancelled two old credit cards that I no longer use. Well. it takes away the temptation , doesn't it?

Get (prepared for Xmas) - Nothing done with this yet.

Utilise (free activities in your area) - Planning to go into town on Friday and use a voucher Himself got for his birthday and next week we plan to go a social history museum set in a lovely park and then go for a cheap meal in a nearby restaurant. Nice day out.

Share (money saving tips) - As far as possible we buy reduced food (actually most of what we buy is), get vouchers when eating out, stock up on supermarket deals (but only when it's something we know we will use) etc but I think most people do that anyway

Treat (yourself) - Thinking about maybe having a manicure. A bit more than £3.00 but the hairdresser I went to last week does them for about £10.00.

We've had HM lentil soup for lunch and having pizza for dinner. Both from the freezers which (as you will all know) is so full I can hardly close the doors (and I have two freezers).

Have a nice evening.
    Have adventures. laugh a lot and always be kind.
  • apple_muncher
    apple_muncher Posts: 14,708 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Cuddlymarm - please do post your ideas and tips - turtles are kind to each other.

Fmess - glad to hear you went on holiday. Are you planning on doing temping work again this summer?

Today we walked along the River Minho (NW Spain) and found a place to paddle/swim. For free! It was also a fair walk away from where we are staying, and took us past carref0ur too, so we could get the gf/df stuff we needed.

Today I am grateful for good friends, for good weather, for chilling family time, for finding food for dd, for a paddle in the river (went up to my middle - go me!).
    NST March lion #8; NSD ; MFW9/3/23 Whoop Whoop!!!
  • Kerry_Woman
    Kerry_Woman Posts: 3,133 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Going to pick strength. Need to look after my health(both mental and physical), look at my diet - do tend to comfort eat, and getting more exercise in my routine. Have to keep a close eye of my mental health, as going through a bad patch.
    Aim – Going for 20 NSDs. 1/20 NSD today.
    Update (Budgets) – All of my DD's are fine. Have changed/deleted them over the years. Will concentrate on my budget for the month and spending.
    Get (prepared for Xmas) – Have a separate account where I put money away each month for Christmas. Just do immediate family and give them cash.
    Utilise (free activities in your area) - I have looked as to what is going on for free in the borough where I live. There are a couple.
    Share (money saving tips) – When finished doing weekly food shop at MrA, do the price guarantee. You may have money off your next shop.
    Treat (yourself) – I have something in mind what to get.
    Frugal Living Challenge 2024 Mortgage free as of 1st August 2013
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    So for August we are going to pick one of the above to work on – if you feel you have let your skincare routine go, or you have been saying yes too often to things or maybe you need to start loving yourself (or others) then that will be your focus this month.
    - hmmmm…. well August is my wedding anniversary (end of the month) and the school hols (family time) 2 breaks away - 1 as a family and 1 just OH & myself. Also need to work on my diet and fitness.
    Rules:

Aim – for 15 NSD’s this month. If you think you can do more that is fantastic
    Highly unlikely, given 2 breaks away and school hols! However, as long as I don't bust budgets I shall take that as a success :) Not 1 today - bought new swim cossie for next week (although not tried on, so if I return it I will reclaim NSD)

Update (Budgets) – i
    All my ddrs are fine. Technically I could try and haggle my v1rg1n package down to be more MSE, but that's not my style.
    1st DD goes out in Aug to new S&S ISA :T
    Am interested in what success Toni'sfriend ahs with V1rg1n this month...

Get (prepared for Xmas) – Xmas is only 5 months away Have you written your list of who needs a present? I still need to finalise my list and come up with more ideas of what I'd like from people (eg: my mum) and check what I've already got (only a couple of small things)
    I've now written lists of birthdays from now until end of Jan and Xmas list - will fill it in this month with what I've got already and start to address gaps.
    Utilise (free activities in your area) - I would like everyone to find out about free activities for kids or adults in their area and attend one of these – - ok - have been looking at stuff online today

Share (money saving tips)

Treat (yourself) – budget £3 to treat yourself this month. - will have to think of something - maybe whilst we are away

Not much happening here today. My mum brought me a huge bag of tomatoes and some cooking apples, so I need to deal with/ eat those! :) I've spent another day mainly wrapped up in paperwork....
    x
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • Maisie_M
    Maisie_M Posts: 1,524 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The flowers for August are the Gladioli and the Poppy which represents beauty, strength, love, marriage and family.

Got my manicure stuff down and about to start that just after this post :D

Rules:

Aim – for 15 NSD’s this month. 1/15.

Update (Budgets)
    Will check DD's during the month and confirm nothing extinct there.

No money for savings that I can see at present but I will see what I can do. Have decided to not use one of my CC so that is an indirect saving.

Get (prepared for Xmas) Have seen a couple of things to get started for Xmas for the kids so will order them tomorrow when I will be having a spend day anyway.

Utilise (free activities in your area) - Have spotted something that DS2 may like go go to on Saturday and planning to go Geocaching on Friday if DH is off and the weather is good.

Share (money saving tips)done week 1

Treat (yourself)still thinking
  • swimminginaseaofdebt
    Options
    Evening everyone :hello:

1st days progress is as follows:
    • Aim for 15 NSDS - 0/15
    • Update (budgets) - spends are at £32.90/£350. Sent 89p to the EF
    • Get prepared (for Xmas) - no progress
    • Utilise (free activities in your area) - no progress
    • Share (money saving tips) - no progress
    • Treat (yourself) - no progress
    • Read as many books as possible - 1 book finished
    • Back cook for the little one - no progress
    • Make £50 additional income - no progress

Oh and I lost my patience with the little one even before we’d left the house this morning!
    VSPC 2019 #10 - £168.80/£100 VSPC 2020 #4 - £262.03/£200 VSPC 2021 #9 - £242.88/£200 VSPC 2022 #3 - £188.03/£200 VSPC 2023 #7 - £0/£200
  • misstara
    misstara Posts: 3,880 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    My August targets
    Focus - will be on my relationship with OH

Aim – will try for 15 NSD’s

Update (Budgets) – budgets are set and debt payments made. Will have a look and see if any of our direct debits can be cancelled or reduced

Get (prepared for Xmas) – I save money monthly with a credit union and the money can't be accessed until November. I'll make a list and budget this month

Utilise (free activities in your area) - will do

Share (money saving tips) – will have a think

Treat (yourself) – love this idea

1st NSD today :D so 1/15. Went to the gym after work. Had a good chat with OH while eating tea together (usually only manage a meal together once a week but going to make more of an effort).
    Debt Dec 2022 - £2972.68. Current debt - £0 (100% paid). Flat deposit - £10552.61/£15000 (70.4% saved). Emergency fund - £1428.98/£1500 (95.3% saved).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure