PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Preparing for Winter V

Comments

• gazapc
    gazapc Posts: 257
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Tink_04 wrote: »
    Thanks I try to leave the Windows locked open a crack but DH hates it and closes them! It's mostly the bedroom - the little things of salt are useless too! Think I'll just have to wipe them down and open the windows when we get up!

You either need to reduce the amount of water in the air so use extractor fans for bathrooms, don't dry washing or towels inside etc... Or change the damp air to dry air. You can do this either with ventilation or a dehumidifier. The salt dehumidifiers are rubbish, an electric one will potentially draw out litres per day, a salt one will not do anything near that.
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,073
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    gazapc wrote: »
    Thanks I try to leave the Windows locked open a crack but DH hates it and closes them! It's mostly the bedroom - the little things of salt are useless too! Think I'll just have to wipe them down and open the windows when we get up!

You either need to reduce the amount of water in the air so use extractor fans for bathrooms, don't dry washing or towels inside etc... Or change the damp air to dry air. You can do this either with ventilation or a dehumidifier. The salt dehumidifiers are rubbish, an electric one will potentially draw out litres per day, a salt one will not do anything near that.

Or stop your DH breathing out during the night :cool:
  • Lucy5781
    Lucy5781 Posts: 745
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Had heating on yesterday morning. Established that the rad in DsS room and the new one in the bathroom aren't working. DH will look into it.
    Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Jan 2012: £16,000+ :eek: [STRIKE] Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Sep 2013: £13,023 [/STRIKE]
    DRO Completed: 30/09/2014 :T
    30/09/19 - Details now dropped off debt register. :o

My Diary - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4202761
  • Tink_04
    Tink_04 Posts: 1,204
    First Anniversary Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Got a chilli in the sc today - bright and breezy here in the NE - still keeping the heating off although it is getting a bit colder on a night but good pjs and blankets are seeing the kids through!

Got someone coming to look at the boiler tonight as its been playing up and the HW has been going off mid shower, the the heating has not been clicking on properly so hoping that is not too expensive!

Having a little before xmas clear out which is good selling a few bits so keeping it all separate in an xmas purse to help buy new bits!
    Living the simple life
  • nicki_2
    nicki_2 Posts: 7,321
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    We've had the heating on a couple of times (manually, trying to hold off switching on the timer) as it's getting a little too chilly here. I've also dug out the window vac and I'm doing the windows every morning as DD has decided to swap her daily showers to a night before bed because its chilly in the morning so the house is humid over night :mad: I've bought some workmens socks to wear inside my walking boots for when the weather gets worse. Now I just need to loose some weight/belly/b00bs so I can wear my waterproof coat and not look shrinkwrapped :o I also bought a tartan throw from Av0n and I'm going to have to buy another one as my daughter loves snuggling up under it of a night. :D

The other day we had a free sachet of nikswax waterproofing stuff put through our door :money: Not sure who needs it using on what though atm but I'm not going to pass on a freebie :rotfl:
    Creeping back in for accountability after falling off the wagon in 2016.
    Need to get back to old style in modern ways, watching the pennies and getting stuff done!
  • We went out for our supper last night, table booked at 7.30 and it was chilly enough that I went up and got my padded winter coat from storage to wear while we walked to the pub and was glad of it too. Warmer today so I've just walked the couple of miles to the shopping centre in a long sleaved top and a gilet and been comfortable. Forecast is for it to be cooler over the weekend so throws will be got out of the blanket chest and folded at the foot of the bed in case they're needed.
  • There is a definite chill in the air today. I just had a delicious bowl of homemade soup for lunch.:) Two bowls actually.:D
  • babyblooz
    babyblooz Posts: 1,122
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Haha that's just what I've got bubbling away in the slow cooker right now but it's going into the freezer for the colder months, or I often use it as a base for some nice gravy when we are having Yorkshire Puds.
    :hello: :wave: please play nicely children !
  • We're already needing a small blast of the heating each day to take the chill off, and I'm wondering how scary the gas/electric is going to be this winter with floorboards (and some area rugs) and high ceilings.
    Saving, decluttering and doing alright.
    :xmastree: :xmastree:
  • Nomoonatall
    Nomoonatall Posts: 1,173 Forumite
    The windows were wet with condensation this morning and it was noticeably colder early on but then bright and sunny this afternoon!

I hate the Windows wet but have no idea how to stop it happening ? Any ideas anyone

Hi Tink,

This actually works for a while. Wipe your windows down with undiluted washing up liquid. It dries clear. You might have to do it every week or so. I bought a dehumidifier last year, it's the best thing I've ever bought...apart from chocolate. x
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback