IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

VCS BW Legal JLA PCN

slicfm
slicfm Posts: 5 Forumite
edited 23 February 2017 at 10:39PM in Parking tickets, fines & parking
Hi all,

Just thought that i would share my experiences with this shower of muppets. Received a PCN back in August last year after our car had stopped (after taking a wrong turn) on double red lines at JLA in Liverpool. I sent in a standard appeal letter as commonly seen on these forums. As expected the appeal was rejected by VCS. Last month received a letter from BW Legal demanding payment and threatening court action. I responded with a straight to the point letter stating that the debt is disputed and that I have no intention of paying and will only respond to letters received from a court.

BW Legal next letter received today and states that they have noted my position and will now seek their clients instructions on initiating court proceedings.

I am right in reading that this lot have never taken a PCN at JLA case to court so far?

Cheers
:beer:

Comments

• Redx
    Redx Posts: 38,084 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    AFAIK they havent tried court yet, plus on pepipoo there is a fighting fund for if one actually appears, plus many useful threads about JLA matters too

its a case of keep rebutting , keep waiting , see if VCS are stupid enough to take one to court
  • Grimble
    Grimble Posts: 455 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    If they try, you could always counterclaim for £250 for DPA breech, it would have to go to court then.
  • slicfm
    Hi all, 2 years into this now and a letter arrived this morning from dcbl bailiffs stating that they have been passed the debt by VCS. I have 14 days to pay the amount or the case will be reviewed for legal recovery.

The bottom of the letter states "this case is not subject to high court or bailiff action".

Probably just trying to scare me into paying. Still no cases from VCS relating to JLA gone to court yet.

Cheers
    Slicfm
  • Ralph-y
    Ralph-y Posts: 4,563 Forumite
    dcbl do sometimes act as debt crawlers ... I suspect this is one .....

have a read of the link below ....

http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showtopic=116961&st=480&gopid=1370083!!!entry1370083

if it does not work then do a search on pepipoo

Ralph:cool:
  • kryten3000
    kryten3000 Posts: 157 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    "this case is not subject to high court or bailiff action"

Means that you've got a begging letter from the unregulated part of DCBL. This is no different to DRP, Trace, ZZPS or any of the other unregulated companies and can be ignored.

The difference is DCBL are relying on their reputation as High Court Enforcement Agents (as seen on TV) and are hoping you won't know the difference.
  • Redx
    Redx Posts: 38,084 Forumite
    seems to be a few of these cropping up recently, so clearly the PPC and B W LEGAL are passing these on to DCBL and hoping people have seen the tv programme yet are dumb enough to not realise that on the programme they have a high court writ, whereas in these cases they are merely acting as debt collectors and powerless
  • Ralph-y
    Ralph-y Posts: 4,563 Forumite
    and as such needs to be shown to MP's ...

so I hope after reading / watching the below that the OP will write to his/her MP

https://hansard.parliament.uk/commons/2018-02-02/debates/CC84AF5E-AC6E-4E14-81B1-066E6A892807/Parking(CodeOfPractice)Bill

and slightly longer, the committee stage

https://www.parliamentlive.tv/Event/Index/d5550515-cce9-4185-83ec-754dadb7524a

''Rip-offs from car park Cowboys must stop''; unfair treatment; signage deliberately confusing to ensure a PCN is issued; ''years of abuse by rogue parking companies''; bloodsuckers; ''the current system of regulation is hopeless, like putting Dracula in charge of the blood-bank''; extortionate fines; rogue operators; ''sense of injustice''; unfair charges and notices; wilfully misleading; signage is a deliberate act to deceive or mislead; ''confusing signs are often deliberate, to trap innocent drivers''; unreasonable; a curse; harassing; operating in a disgusting way; appeals service is no guarantee of a fair hearing; loathed; outrageous scam; dodgy practice; outrageous abuse; unscrupulous practices; ''the British Parking Association is as much use as a multi-storey car park in the Gobi desert''; and finally, by way of unanimous conclusion: ''we need to crack down on these rogue companies. They are an absolute disgrace to this country. Ordinary motorists and ordinary residents should not have to put up with this''.

These are the exact words used, so you should quote them to your MP in a complaint and ask him/her to contact Sir Greg Knight MP if he wants further information about this scam.

and some quotes from the committe stage

"The other area is hospital parking, and I want to single out one company for some pretty shady practices. That is ParkingEye" " is very clear to me that there is collusion between parking companies and solicitors’ firms—so-called roboclaims companies. " "They are often set up adjacently and involve the same directors and personnel. Incidentally, the same personnel get involved in the so-called appeals bodies." "Essentially, it is a money-making enterprise that takes advantage of motorists up and down the country. They operate in a very business-like fashion, which is why I call them roboclaims companies." "The companies are jamming up parts of our legal system." “I now pretty much know exactly how the parking companies and in particular the IPC have been running this scam for the past 5 years. Basically both of the appeals processes are a complete and utter sham, (and part of that sham is Gladstones Solicitors itself)” "The appeals process at Excel/VCS is run by a team of minimum wage office workers with no legal knowledge or experience whatsoever," " It is claimed by the head of the appeals service (retired Judge Bryn Holloway) that this is a completely independent fair process, it is not” "The letter mentions two individuals—Will Hurley and Bryn Holloway—and concludes this is a typical example of the clear collusion between the IPC, their members and the IAS" "what we can do about roboclaims companies and solicitors firms that profit, often in shady ways" " the very large amounts of money that can be involved in such scams—a company called Smart Parking was involved in one such scam on my patch" "tightening up the rules regarding the unfair use of automatic number plate recognition" "BW Legal, regularly issues 10,000 county court judgments a month, and is known to have issued 28,000 in one month" "They are jamming up our court system, and are often totally unjustified." " because the lifeblood of trying to extort money from people is having access to their details."

All from Parking (Code of Practice) Bill (First sitting) Hansard

Ralph:cool:
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,581 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Still no cases from VCS relating to JLA gone to court yet.
    Yes there are a couple of claims in the offing, on pepipoo (no hearing yet AFAIK).
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • slicfm
    Seen their TV programme many times. Thanks for the info, much appreciated:beer:
  • twhitehousescat
    twhitehousescat Posts: 5,368 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    slicfm wrote: »
    Seen their TV programme many times. Thanks for the info, much appreciated:beer:

if P bowhill knocks on your door , chin him from me

creepy muppet
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family