PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Landlady wanting to take money from deposit, can I refuse viewings?

Options
Hi,
We have given our landlady a months notice and didn't hear anything back from her, however our new property she tried to give us a bad reference. The house we rent has a huge garden and we struggled to keep on top of it, we did hire a gardener then bought equipment ourselves. I had a C Section in May and my baby was in and out of hospital because of her weight gain. The landlady's other half lives next door !!!128528; she came for a visit at the same time and sent a nasty email about us being in breech of contract for not mowing the lawn. Our other neighbour kindly did it for us with his ride on mower. The landlady has done two inspections and has thanked us both times about how nice the house is and doing as she asked with the garden.
Last night she sent an email stating what she wants to recuperate from our deposit (garden needs mowing four times) we've damaged the drive way driving our car onto the drive (??)
The estate agents said it's nothing to do with them we've got to work it out with the landlady... They have rang wanting to do viewings, the house is in no for state as we're in the middle of packing and my baby is twelve weeks old, I'm breastfeeding pretty much constantly.
I would love some advice as I feel we're going to get screwed over. Oh, the estate agents did say she was happy for us to stay another year (but putting the rent up). We couldn't have been that bad if she wanted us to stay...
Thanks in advance!!!

Comments

• armchaireconomist
    Options
    You don't need to accept viewings, they've no legal right to enter but it would certainly incetivise her to persue your deposit further...

Have you spoke to her? The best way forward is you both trying to come to a resolution.
  • need_an_answer
    Options
    I'm amazed that you have already been given details of what deposit deductions are required before you've even moved out,you have until the end of the tenancy to make good yourself so shouldn't be accepting details of what needs putting right until you have chosen not to do it and moved out.

What type of deductions does she propose,and can you rectify any of it before you leave,it could be cheaper for you to do rather than her.
    in S 38 T 2 F 50
    out S 36 T 9 F 24 FF 4

2017-32 2018 -33 2019 -21 2020 -5 2021 -4 2022
  • Essiewoo
    Essiewoo Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    We wanted to go through estate agents because we didn't want it to get ugly. But that's not an option.
    I'm sure the majority of peoples gardens are ruined because of the heat we've had. If tarmac has come away surely that's shoddy workmanship not a car driving onto a drive??
    Think we'll sit down tonight and write something.
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Essiewoo wrote: »
    We wanted to go through estate agents because we didn't want it to get ugly. But that's not an option.
    I'm sure the majority of peoples gardens are ruined because of the heat we've had. If tarmac has come away surely that's shoddy workmanship not a car driving onto a drive??
    Think we'll sit down tonight and write something.

Why bother; tell her to do one and use the scheme.
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,615 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Last night she sent an email stating what she wants to recuperate from our deposit (garden needs mowing four times) we've damaged the drive way driving our car onto the drive (??)
    Has the garden been mowed 4 times? or needs mowing 4 times (I don't understand that in a heatwave).
    You admit you've neglected it, but it's hard to judge whether this is justfied.
    Has the money been spent?
    If not can you put the garden right?

It should not be possible to damage tarmac with normal use.
    So unless you've been doing doughnuts with a 20 ton truck then this is rubbish.

Maybe she is using threats to get you to compromise/help.

Can you talk with her and find out what it is she does want.

Is your deposit in a protection scheme?
  • need_an_answer
    Options
    How long have you lived at the property?

How did your check In inventory describe these items and were there photos?

You cant do anything regarding negotiating with her until she tells you exactly what she wants to claim for and for how much.

I assume your deposit was registered with a deposit service and if so when you have left the property and know the figures and items involved you can challenge the deduction with them.

They have a far better service than trying to negotiate with the LL.

For the record the agent wouldn't really help in a deposit deduction dispute they work of the LL so you wont get a fair hearing

The deposit service is your best way forward unless you are prepared to address the items before you leave
    in S 38 T 2 F 50
    out S 36 T 9 F 24 FF 4

• Grezz24
    Grezz24 Posts: 232 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Contact the deposit protection scheme your deposit is in and reject any contact with her. refuse all viewings and take pictures / videos of everything when you move out! (hopefully you did the same when you moved in)
  • Essiewoo
    Options
    She said it needs mowing four times after we leave... But the inventory people will surely see it's mowed once we leave? There is a bush she told us to cut so we did now she wants to charge us for reshaping it (we'll get someone to do it) we've let some beech whips (?) die so charging for that. Amazing how she knows all this when she lives in London and we're in Norfolk...
    The money is in a deposit scheme yes, how much sway will she have? Is it worth getting the tarmac done or leave it as wear and tear? It's in the middle of where the car drives over so it cant have possibly been done by the tyres on our car (it's only an A4 nothing heavy). It's on a country lane so who is to say it was is, could have been a tractor??
    I'm just really upset, we've enough to worry about.
  • Essiewoo
    Options
    We've been here a year next month and she wanted to up the rent (I'm on maternity leave) so we didn't think it fair.
  • need_an_answer
    Options
    The sway that she will have depends on what the check in inventory describes compared with what the check out inventory describes the conditions to be.

Wear and tear must allowed but betterment cant be claimed.

How long have you lived at the property and was there details of the condition of the garden and driveway documented in it?
    in S 38 T 2 F 50
    out S 36 T 9 F 24 FF 4

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills