PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Prepping for Brexit thread

Hi guys
I’m pretty well resolved to the fact that Brexit is going to affect us all. I don’t want this thread to be a good or bad, right or wrong type thing.
Just a positive, what can we prepare to make life easier, less expensive, less disruptive when it does happen.

My aims are to stock up on items I think are going to get more expensive. Also to try and save up an emergency fund ( that will be slow going as OH took early retirement due to illness) and I’m unemployed at the moment.

So my aims are to work out what items need to be stocked up
To look for a job
To live as frugally as possible while eating healthily
To make sure the savings we have already don’t get touched

So guys please feel free to join in and list anything you think may be affected. Or just to comment. That way we can help each other.

Hope to hear from you all soon
Cuddles
🎄December 🎄 NSDs 11/15

Comments

• cuddlymarm
    cuddlymarm Posts: 1,890 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Hi guys

Currently I!!!8217;m working my way through all the frozen veg in Mr T to see what is nice frozen and what really needs to be fresh. Broccoli and cauliflower is ok but a bit droopy frozen, but with gravy or cheese sauce or made into soup is fine when fresh is too expensive. Potatoes dont seem to be the good value fillers they used to be so pasta and rice will need to be stocked up on when on offer. Salad veg will be replaced with cooked veg in winter and more veggie meals if meat goes even more expensive.
    OH and I are both ok for summer clothes and I volunteer two days a week in one of our local CS so will keep a look out for jumpers for both of us. But only if we really need will I be buying until I have built up more savings. I work on the theory that I should only buy what we need because others might need those items too.
    Better go and get some jobs done
    Speak again soon
    Cuddles
    🎄December 🎄 NSDs 11/15
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 12 June 2018 at 4:15PM
    What a sensible idea for a thread topic!

I decided when we got the Yes vote on Brexit to look out and write down recipes for pulse based and veggie pottages and stew type meals and to start working them in to our diet now before it happens so not only do we get used to the different style of eating gradually but our digestive systems are broken in gently to the extra fibre in that diet. I found several recipes that we really enjoy too and it helps to keep housekeeping costs lower as well.

We are hopefully moving to a new house in the not too distant future and part of preparing for Brexit will be to have anything that is needed done before it happens so that we start with a sound dwelling and a sound heating system. We are going to have a wood stove put in as we have an open chimney there and we have a wood stove here which is a comforting part of winter life. I'm going to make sure the new one has either an oven or cooking plates (or both if I can find one) so that if gas/electricity become vastly more expensive we will use the stove when it's running to cook our hot meals. I have an inset stove here with only a narrow shelf to cook on but have even managed soda bread in a rectangular mess tin on this successfully.

We've invested in good outdoor clothing, I got some real goose down coats when on trips to the continent and have invested in some good quality waterproof and windproof lined trousers. I already have a couple of pairs of good boots with good sturdy soles that can cope with snow and ice. and sheepskin hat, gloves and a coney fur scarf all of which are toasty when it's arctic.

Brexit is such an unknown quantity without anything concrete to go on that I'm waiting on many things until I see just exactly what does happen. I have always tried to be prepared for untoward events, I'm a regular on the prepping thread and much of what I already do will cover Brexit and post Brexit events too. You may find some helpful ideas over there that will help you make your 'to do' list.

I ought to have said we already have an outdoor wood burner called an OzPig which we use in the warmer weather and it runs on any wood you have available, lots of wood we've burned in it has come from beach combing after a high tide (not by us but by a friend's Labrador who brings it home with him) but we also use scrap wood that we get from processing wood we 'womble' for the indoor stove. It will be useful if utilities really do get expensive.
  • Cappella
    Cappella Posts: 748 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 12 June 2018 at 9:31PM
    Ive just posted this on the prepping thread, but it is equally applicable here. I Have been thinking about the consequences if Brexit ever since the referendum result, and decided that prepping will continue as usual, with a higher focus on possible higher prices. So I am concentrating on making sure that, as always here, the and freezer are well stocked. It will be easier and cheaper to replace one or two items a week as you use them, before prices soar than to try to establish well stocked cupboards after that has happened.
    I am also trying to ensure that the allotment is as productive as possible, and that surplus crops are frozen, pickled and preserved to minimise waste. that the allotment is as productive as possible.
    MrC has just taken off 80lbs of honey and the hens are laying well - bit too well - so I think whatever happens we will be ok. For a while now we have been focusing on eating seasonally and traditionally, ( think 1950s, 60s 70s )and having no food waste. I have plenty of frugal recipes under my belt, which will be very useful if food prices really soar.
    As far as Brexit is concerned I am just hoping for the best really but also trying to anticipate the worst.
  • cuddlymarm
    Hi Mrs Lurcherwalker and Cappella
    We have already downsized and are now mortgage free in a cute little one bedroom flat. It costs next to nothing to heat and has a lovely sea view (which I love every time I open the blinds)
    I plan to stock the freezer to bursting point and then stock up on tins and dried food. I try to buy British food wherever possible but our budget doesn!!!8217;t always allow it.
    I think that when Brexit day arrives that there may be shortages due to lorries backing up at the ferry ports in the short term until customs sort themselves out. Also the chaotic way the government is dealing with the Brexit talks I have no faith that all will be hunkydory afterwards. If I have stores in I can always use them up if I!!!8217;m wrong.
    When I do my Mr T shop I look at the place each item comes from eg coffee, tea, sugar etc and will stock up things that can!!!8217;t be grown in the uk first.
    Also we can!!!8217;t trust that fuel will always be readily available so there may be power cuts, fuel shortages etc if the powers that be in other countries don!!!8217;t want to trade with us. So extra blankets, candles etc are always useful, as is always keeping some fuel in the car. A little bit of cash in the house is also needed I feel as cash machines don!!!8217;t work without electric and also computer systems at various banks have failed recently.
    A lot of this is common sense and just takes a little thought and forward planning.
    I!!!8217;ll pop by regularly with my progress
    Cuddles
    🎄December 🎄 NSDs 11/15
  • Gspree
    Gspree Posts: 25 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    And perhaps some commodities would become cheaper... you mentioned rice etc, in what scenario would leaving the eu push up the cost of rice?
  • cuddlymarm
    Hi Gspree
    I!!!8217;m working on the theory that anything that comes from abroad might cost more due to not having the trade deals with Europe anymore so it might cost more to import.
    It might be that some things are cheaper and that we can get better deals alone but at the moment just don!!!8217;t know.
    Cuddles
    🎄December 🎄 NSDs 11/15
  • Hopeless_Case
    Hopeless_Case Posts: 949 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Rampant Recycler
    edited 13 June 2018 at 6:52AM
    cuddlymarm wrote: »
    Hi Gspree
    I!!!8217;m working on the theory that anything that comes from abroad might cost more due to not having the trade deals with Europe anymore so it might cost more to import.
    It might be that some things are cheaper and that we can get better deals alone but at the moment just don!!!8217;t know.
    Cuddles

I agree with that, possible consequences of losing the clout/bargaining power of being in a huge market like the EU and having to pay extra/higher tariffs for being outside the collective agreements. I think it would be being outside the trade deals the EU has with the countries the rice comes from

I'm no expert but I can't see how things like rice could become cheaper, I just hope they stay the same/don't increase too much - fingers crossed :)
  • I'm trying to wean us off the freezer as a way of storage, IF and it is only an if, we get fairly frequent disruptions to the power supply for any of a number of reasons that spring to mind it might mean spoilage of frozen stocks depending on the frequency and duration of the power outs. That would cost money that I'm rather inclined to put into different ways of storage. We have a dehydrator which is a very efficient way of storing fresh fruit and veg without the need for electricity as they keep for literally years in a sealed dry jar, yes it costs on electricity to dry the produce in the first place but the drying is effective even with the odd gap if the machine is off, the food still stays good. I'm also investing in kilner type jars for bottling fruit (haven't done meat or veg both of which are a potential source of botulism unless done correctly) and I do have a pressure canner, as yet untested in which I could feasibly can meat and veg as you need to get it to the right temperature for safety and it's difficult just on the hob. I make jams, jellies and pickles and chutneys too all of which store on a shelf. I'm lucky in having space for that type of storage and it might be difficult in a small flat but you could follow Grey Queen and store under beds etc. and behind sofas etc. so it's out of sight and not cluttering up your nice living areas. I also take advantage of seasonal items like elderflowers and elderberries in particular to make cordials and fruit vinegars which can be used for drinks, hot medicinal drinks and poured over ice cream or sponge puddings as a sauce. All helps keep the wolf from the door!
  • grunnie
    grunnie Posts: 1,789 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Great idea for a thread. I have 2 huge freezers and a store cupboard as though I was laying in for a siege. I also have a huge garden think allotment size or even larger. I grow loads of fruit and veg and freeze loads so they last for a whole year. I still have apples from last year stored carefully in the garage. I had a bramble ( from freezer) and apple crumble yesterday. Yummy. I made white currant jelly this week and it is a great pink colour and lovely served with cheese and crackers.
    Herring is just coming in to season and I buy 10 packs of 3 and put them into the freezer my local fish shop vacuum packs them for me.

I buy milk from Tescos at £1.09 and the same size and make is £1.20 in the local farm shop. Last week we were on holiday on the west coast of Scotland and the very same make and size of milk was £1.83 ouch now that is painful. Delivery costs.

I am not scared of Brexit but terrified of Scottish independence maybe some of you could send me food parcels then.
  • cuddlymarm
    Hi guys
    I didn’t think about Scottish independence but as soon as Brexit happens Nicola Sturgeon ( sorry if I spelt that wrong) will be pushing for another referendum. I think we live in unsettled times and all we can do is ready ourselves as much as possible for the outcome.

I hadn’t thought of the effects of power cuts on freezer stocks but if freezers are outside or in an area that can be aired out maybe a small generator might be useful. Not for inside though because of the carbon monoxide they give off is deadly. We only have a fridge freezer and no room for anything bigger so a lot of my food will be canned and dried anyway.

Today all meals are from what I have in, hopefully tomorrow too. We are both doing slimming world which is good, basic meals.

I also do my main shop with Mr T and get it delivered so add to it as needed then go through it with a fine tooth comb to make sure that I’m not buying anything not needed/ too expensive. Also that way nothing finds its way into my trolley like biscuits or cake. The frugal me has the midweek delivery saver so it costs very little to get it delivered.

It’s lovely that others are getting prepared for Brexit too. Other people ideas are so helpful in saving money and managing if or when the effects kick in.

Bye for now
    Cuddles
    🎄December 🎄 NSDs 11/15
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family