Barclays Basic Current Accounts

I'd be interested in having a barclays basic account to pay my direct debits with, however i heard you can not have one if you have a Current account elsewhere ( be it Basic or Full )

I can't see this anywhere on their website, so is it true ? :cool:

Comments

• And what would be wrong with having a regular current account for the purpose you describe?
    :o
  • wizzywig27
    wizzywig27 Posts: 1,536
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 8 August 2018 at 9:29AM
    venomx wrote: »
    I'd be interested in having a barclays basic account to pay my direct debits with, however i heard you can not have one if you have a Current account elsewhere ( be it Basic or Full )

I can't see this anywhere on their website, so is it true ? :cool:

Thought you already had one? I am sure I remember you opening an account with them and asking about contactless cards, or was that Nationwide?

Edit:
    I use Monzo for everything, but have a Barclays Basic Current account ( with contactless card ) for emergencies, and want to know is there a minimum balance to keep the account open ?

You do have one already?!
  • venomx
    venomx Posts: 1,118
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 8 August 2018 at 10:25AM
    Yeah but want to know if i build my credit score up will i be eligible for a full current account ?
    And how strict are they on their " One account only " policy

read this on the other post...
    fermi wrote: »
    I'm perfectly happy with the basic Barclays and Nationwide accounts. Can't think of any real reason for me to want an upgrade.

Anway my credit score is 660, which im guessing is bad.. ( I took out a few loans when I was teen )
  • ozaz
    ozaz Posts: 315
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    I'm confused. You already have a Barclays Basic account but have created a thread questioning whether or not you can open a Barclays Basic account ???

Regarding credit scores. They are not particularly useful for judging if a bank will accept you for a full account. Banks will base their decision on your credit history, not the score from a reference agency and every banks will have a different (and opaque) decision making policy.

The scores are also even less useful if you don't say which credit reference agency the score is from.
  • venomx
    Forumite
    ozaz wrote: »
    I'm confused. You already have a Barclays Basic account but have created a thread questioning whether or not you can open a Barclays Basic account ???

I do have one, sorry for the confusion

I need the account because of my Monzo, the only way to send money to my Monzo is via bank transfer after putting the cash into barlcays
  • wizzywig27
    wizzywig27 Posts: 1,536
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Yeah but want to know if i build my credit score up will i be eligible for a full current account ?
    And how strict are they on their " One account only " policy

read this on the other post...

Anway my credit score is 660, which im guessing is bad.. ( I took out a few loans when I was teen )

But that wasnt your original question, you asked if you could open one.

Anyway, your score is worthless and is used as a tool to sell you something you dont need.
  • venomx
    Forumite
    wizzywig27 wrote: »
    But that wasnt your original question, you asked if you could open one.

Anyway, your score is worthless and is used as a tool to sell you something you dont need.

I used Experian and it was free :j
  • venomx
    Forumite
    What i should have said is do they tolerate it ?

in barclays policy it says this...
    If this happens, and you remain eligible to hold an account or receive
    services from us, we may try to help you find an alternative account or
    service which will meet your needs, so that you can continue to bank
    with us.

So there's a chance if im responsible they could offer me a full account
  • ozaz
    ozaz Posts: 315
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Ok, so to clarify. You already have a Barclay's basic account but you are now worried you are no longer eligible for it because you now have a full current account elsewhere?

If that's the case, what are their published eligibility requirements?
  • venomx
    Forumite
    ozaz wrote: »
    Ok, so to clarify. You already have a Barclay's basic account but you are now worried you are no longer eligible for it because you now have a full current account elsewhere?

If that's the case, what are their published eligibility requirements?

Thats correct. :money:
    Resident of the UK ( Yes )
    18 or over ( yes )
    Full-Time student ( no )
    Existing barclays customer ( no )
    The Barclays Basic Current Account is a basic account that offers no-frills banking for customers who may not be able to open a regular current account. You can qualify for this account if you don’t qualify for one of our other accounts and/or you don’t have an existing bank current account in the UK.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure